Best snacks, per Reader's Digest

So @mts commented on the Silliness and Food Funnies 2023 thread about the cover of the July/August 2023 Reader’s Digest - the Statue of Liberty holding a dripping chicken drumstick and a bucket of popcorn.

I thought it deserved it’s own thread, so starting it here. HOWEVER, they’re insane if they think “fried clams” are a snack for us in Massachusetts - they’re an entire meal!

And after having pulled out a filling on some NJ salt water taffy when I was growing up, I’m gonna say NO to that being a good snack as well.

5 Likes

As a Philadelphian, it’s hard to argue the soft pretzel with mustard. But I suspect the rest of PA would claim the whoopie pie as their own. I don’t know about Maine, but they are certainly ubiquitous in PA.

1 Like

What’s wrong with claiming both.

Chasing a warm soft pretzel dusted with salt and dabbed in mustard with a frozen (yes, frozen!) whoopie pie is living right.

2 Likes

I’m just kinda stunned Reader’s Digest is still a thing, honestly.

7 Likes

Oh yeah - Whoopie pies are very popular in Maine - it’s the official “state treat”.

ME or PA, I now really want a whoopie pie. I have a friend whose mom made the best homemade pies. Alas, the recipe and\or baking gene were not passed down :cry:

1 Like

I think Californians are more likely to snack on tacos from their local than bother to whip up a bowl of guac. I know I would. :wink:

2 Likes

For years I received Reader’s Digest in the mail, despite the fact I never subscribed. I must admit, I usually read it. But it stopped arriving and I figured it was done. Now a few months ago I received an e-mail informing me I qualified for a free subscription. Maybe I should have followed up?

This from the article

Outside the Ocean State, calamari is commonly confused with octopus

Does anyone think calamari is octopus? Not in NY, NJ, CT, MA, Fl and many other states. News to me. I’m doubtful about that statement.

4 Likes

Another article written by someone who has never been to anywhere mentioned in this list.
They all google and then repeat the previous stories they found.
And a lot of these aren’t snacks, at least by my definition.

5 Likes

Learned something new here, thanks. My aunt—near Pittsburgh—refers to whoopie pies as gobs. Now I know why.

3 Likes

Probably SOMEONE does, but I very much doubt it’s “common.”

4 Likes

My personal Oregon snack would be Kettle potato chips, but I’m ok with hazelnuts.

1 Like

Add in Rogue Creamery blue and we’ve got a winner :trophy:

2 Likes

Jerky in Montana? Maybe some go for the gamey Jerky, bu I really think Rocky Mountain Oysters would top the list. Fingers from Idaho? Nah, it has to be something from the potato family! It is a rather interesting dialogue opener, tho.

1 Like

Texas does eat a lot of chips and salsa. Apparently some restaurants are charging for it, though, which cannot possibly stand.

1 Like

I have no confusion with the culinary cephalopods, but wonder how bung gets thrown in the mix. I wonder if a state claims bung as a snack?

“This American Life” did a whole segment on this myth: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/484/doppelgangers

I did my own taste test, and it was conclusive. NOBODY is getting fooled by bung.

3 Likes

Right? Ham biscuits in VA? Not a snack (IMO) and no one I know consumes them like that. Not to say that they aren’t delicious!

Hard to confuse, even for an inlander.