Best Side-Cut Can Opener?

Hi Olunia,

Mine is also single handle, but it has a bunch of “tricks” it can do that I need to play with. Looks like fun.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Please Keep me posted.

Olunia

1 Like

I’m not in agreement with this review:

It looks great a 5 in one can opener so not a single use kitchen gadget.

Hi Olunia, I don’t have all the features in mine, but most of them. Definitely interesting.

Ray

I still have a traditional one–which is why I was looking for something else.

Ray

I like my new Zyliss yet it’s not designed for people who suffer from arthritis

I just turn my Swing-Away horizontally over the can and puncture from the side, not the top. Just peel the label off first, as sometimes bits of paper fall into the can.

I’ve come to the conclusion that one needs 2 can openers.
I have 2 Zyliss and the side opener is great (not if you have arthritis) but won’t open tomato Campbell’s soup cans.
The sharp edged clip and lock one doesn’t open tomato paste cans.

@drrayeye any news on your new purchase?

I opened my first can with my Kuhn Rikon–I had to review the video to get it to work–and it works as described. I’m sure it will take awhile for it to become “automatic,” but, overall, I’m pleased.

I’m still keeping my traditional manual as a backup–when the side-cut doesn’t work on some cans.

Ray

1 Like

Hi olunia,

I’ve now fully mastered the tab liftoff feature–and it helps quite a bit. Those tabs don’t always work for me.

I’m still learning the side opening–and one time already I went back to the old style I’ve been using for three or four years. I couldn’t do it without the instructions.

Yesterday, I set some time aside, and used it to open a can of beans–with written instructions beside me–and it worked perfectly.

It still may take some time to become automatic.

Ray