Berkeley: random news and notes

3 review posts were split to a new topic: [Berkeley] Berkeley Burgers

The Mexican restaurant at the bottom of Solano (where Eugene used to be) is gone. It didn’t last long. I had dinner there once and we agreed that Talavera’s mole was better.

The French “traiteur” La Bedaine has reopened. The owner/chef had a stroke last June, and he’s going to ease back into full production.

Not very appetizing to me, but this is the brain cake from Itty Bitty Bakerry.

Photo from Yelp.

1 Like

Methinks it’s a cake only sculptor Clayton Bailey* could love, LOL!

* Local ceramic artist Clayton Bailey has long been famous for his extremely…er, eccentric sense of humor in his work: http://www.claytonbailey.com/maddoctors.htm

1 Like

Bangladesh and various harder to find Indian and Pakistani dishes at Munch India. They even got a murgh Hakka noodle. I’d love to eat there if I live closer. Anyone been?

‘the menu, which rotates every two weeks, will also include dishes from Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Tamil Nadu, Lucknow, Mumbai, and more’

1 Like

Saw a “change of ownership” sign on Lalime’s window yesterday.

Re Lalime - according to long-time owners, an investor has joined them, necessitating the legal notice. No changes are planned in menu or kitchen.

1 Like

Oh, good to know. I thought he might be retiring.

Which reminds me: they started (or restarted?) weekend brunches. I had a pretty good shakshuka on Sunday, and other menu items looked good as well. Prices are reasonable.

Quince Cafe, that little diner on San Pablo, is closed because a
truck crashed into it. They won’t be opening until at least August.

Their hashbrowns were really good, and I don’t know of another
place that has them these days.

excerpt from Berkeleyside from near middle of article:

ZOMSA HIMALAYAN ORGANIC KITCHEN This new family-owned El Cerrito restaurant features the flavors of north India, Nepal and Tibet. Look for dishes such as buffalo momos, traditional goat thakali thali platters and Tibetan aloo phing langsha , a hearty beef noodle and potato stew, all crafted with organic ingredients. Vegetarian options are also plentiful. Zomsa Himalayan Organic Kitchen , 10558 San Pablo Ave. (between Waldo and Moeser), El Cerrito

1 Like

The Asian night markets usually aren’t so close to me, so this may be worth checking out!

2 Likes

excerpt:

I’d never seen pumpkin pie on a Chinese restaurant menu before, so I had to try it. What arrived was four piping hot fried golden pumpkin disks. They were fried until the edges had a delicate, shattery crust and inside, the dense “pies” had a chewy, bouncy layer of pumpkin mixed with glutinous rice flour, with red bean filling in the middle for some sweetness.

Easterly Hunan Cuisine

2142 Center St.
Berkeley
510-647-8008

What I am frustrated about this event is that it costs $10 to park, and another $10 per person to enter. Before a single bite of food goes in the stomach, it’s already $20 gone.

Night market is supposed to be cheap, convenient and delicious!

3 Likes

Agreed. Some of the vendors were food trucks that I can eat at without paying a parking/entrance fee. I ended up not attending because I saw bad reviews on FB about long lines and vendors running out of food.

1 Like

That’s bad. I was going to say that, perhaps without the entrance and parking fees the lines would be absurdly long. Didn’t look like the fees deterred too many.

Munch is tasty, but pricy. It’s also in a very small space so seating is both crowded and limited. If you see open seating in the window, I’d recommend it to anyone a bit peckish after a Berkeley Bowl run.

I see from their website that they’re now “reservations only”, with same-day reservations closing at 4:30.

Chai Thai
3015 San Pablo Ave (near Ashby)
Ste B
Berkeley, CA 94702
closed Tuesdays

Sister restaurant to their original Oakland location at 545 International Blvd

https://www.chaithainoodles.com/

1 Like