Berkeley: random news and notes

New banh mi place near Ashby/ Claremont- Sidewalk Street Food.

from Berkelelyside:

DDC CAFÉ Hong Kong fusion restaurant, Venus Café, quietly closed its third location in downtown Berkeley, reopening under new ownership as DDC Café. Short for Duck Duck Chicken Café, the eatery serves up a similar menu of Hong Kong and Szechuan cuisine. You’ll find Chinese standards like orange chicken, ma po tofu and sesame beef, along with popular Canto-Western dishes like cream mushroom chicken, pork chop with tomato sauce and curry chicken. On weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., DDC offers a lunch special for about $10, that includes one stir-fried dish, the daily soup, a choice of coffee, milk tea or lemon tea and white rice. Specialty boba drinks are also available. DDC Café, 2017 Shattuck Ave. (between Addison and University), Berkeley

excerpt:

For those looking for Parisian quality without having to endure frisking from the TSA, Rotha will offer such classically French confections as pain au chocolat (chocolate croissant) and chausson aux pommes (apple turnovers). The menu also offers a few outliers from well outside the 20em arrondissement, such as pasteis de nata (Portuguese custard tarts), canelé (caramelized yet custardy cakes from Bordeaux), and the very much en vogue kouign-amann, a Breton butter pastry, folded into a cup shape and strewn with layers of caramelized sugar. And for those with a yen toward recreating Proust’s epiphany and reclaiming lost time, there will also be madeleines.

Pâtisserie Rotha
1051 San Pablo Ave.
Albany
a new traditional French pastry shop scheduled to open June 30.

2 Likes

If he can make good pasteis de nata, that will be something. I was never able to find good ones in the Bay Area.

Sign’s up. It’s going to be a Thai restaurant.

Umm…what sign? where?

Curses! Update on Pâtisserie Rotha:
Will not open until July 28th, per website
Rotha July 28th opening

Address: 1051 San Pablo Ave., Albany

The old Toots Sweet bakery on Gilman.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: [Berkeley] KC’s BBQ

A post was split to a new topic: [Albany] Wojia Hunan Cuisine

Pâtisserie Rotha is finally open. I haven’t been yet, but a friend has been twice and says that they sell out early.

Is it just open on the weekends? Never mind that question. From the website:

“We open from 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM Thurs-Fri and 8:00 AM to 2 PM Sat & Sun (please note these are revised times to those previously advertised)”

From their website:

We open from 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM Thurs-Fri and 8:00 AM to 2 PM Sat & Sun

Photos here:
http://www.patisserierotha.com/gallery/

Gah! You beat me to it. Anyway, I’m glad there’s a new place in the neighborhood for Pain au chocolat . I still miss Prings.

1 Like

Today’s students are so lucky…

I am sad that Brennan’s last day will be September 15.
Nostalgic for the original location and plates of turkey-cranberry-mashed potatoes…
relocated now to 700 University, soon to close.

What’s your fave? …brisket? corned beef? Reuben?

Me too. I’ve been going there for thirty years. One day recently, I looked
around and thought, wow, there’s a lot of retired graybeards here. Oh, wait…

( only semi-retired, but still)

…we have time for a ‘last hurrah’ lunch before September 15.

Me, I ended up there too often when the wait at Spenger’s was too long, and have been cheerfully avoiding the place for the past 50 years.