BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Eutaw Street IPA

High APV. Tasty, but do not use as a thirst quencher, obviously. Had with a chicken salad on toasted rye. It was eat through the fridge night.

1 Like

Dreams on Dreams by Kettlehead Brewery (Tilton, NH) - Hazy DIPA

Very smooth and soft mouthfeel with orange and lemon upfront. Followed by some warm spices, more citrus fruits and some piney moments. Medium bitter, dry finish. The silky mouthfeel sets this DIPA apart which is quite fitting for the not overly aggressive hopped beer.

2 Likes

I visited Bitterroot Brewing in Hamilton, Montana yesterday. They brew one of my favorite IPAs, Dirt Church. So i got a flight w the Sawtooth Golden Ale, the Barley Ridge Nut Brown, the Dirt Church hazy IPA and Livin’ Lite IPA low cal.
I started from the right in the photo and i had to double check my notes and quiz the waitress. My favorite turned out to be the Livin’ Lite low cal IPA. 4.8% ABV and IBU 25 so it wasn’t a hop fest or a session beer. It was a rather nicely drinkable IPA! And the Dirt Church was nearly as hood.
The Golden (unbalanced hops?) and the Nut Brown (too roasty) were only so so.

3 Likes

Supernaut by New England Brewing Company (Woodbridge, CT) - IPA

Like a mix of east and west coast IPA with some berry and citrus notes but at the same time not overly sweet/juicy. Good malty backbone with floral and slightly piney and grapefruit flavors. Dry, mildly bitter finish. Good change from the hazy IPAs.

1 Like

Dark Mode by Revolution Brewing Company (Chicago, IL) - Imperial Milk Stout

Really nice, complex milk stout - perfect for sipping. Chocolate, coffee and toffee flavors with some slight, but not overwhelming, sweetness from the lactose.In the second part of the sip, the bourbon flavors get more dominant. The stout finishes with a very long lasting mix of all flavors which work nicely together. Dangerously nice to drink for the ABV and gets even better when the stout slightly warms up.

NEIPA V14 by Great Marsh Brewing Company (Essex, MA) - Double NEIPA

Unusual NEIPA with very little fruitiness/juiciness and some light citrus flavors upfront but than a lot of grassy, dank flavors throughout the sip. Some light maltiness tries to balance out the dankness but us to subdued. Dry medium bitter finish. Overall to one dimensional dank with little else

Great Bear by Four Quarters Brewing (Winooski
, VT) - Brown Ale

Toasted brown malts with some light sweet chocolate flavors and hints of coffee. Hardly any smokey flavors from the smoked malts. Some mild hoppiness and a medium bitter finish. OK brown ale but a bit lackluster and middle of the road.

1 Like

Hazy Rays by Lawson’s Finest Liquids (Waitsfield, VT) - Hazy IPA

Very drinkable but also a bit boring hazy IPA - heavy on the citrus (tangerine, orange) upfront with mild hop characteristics and a low bitterness finish. Good session style IPA to quench your thirst but little to “explore”

Double Dank Shake (2023) by Alvarado Street Brewery (Monterey, CA) - Double Milkshake IPA

True to its name - short burst of citrus flavor at the beginning but then tons of dank flavors ranging from pines, herbal, weed towards a quite long lasting, dry and bitter finish. The milk sugar makes for a creamy mouthfeel and doesn’t add too much sweetness this time.

1 Like

Get Off My Lawn! by Cellarmaker Brewing Company (San Francisco, CA) - Hazy DIPA

Peach, pineapple, guave, orange start the beer with a lot of juiciness but slowly the bitterness creeps in and starts to dominate the beer and stays for a long time. This contrast of juiciness and bitterness makes for a well balanced DIPA with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel.

1 Like

Wake up World Wide Stout by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, DE) - Double Coffee Stout

Strong flavors of nearly burned coffee and very dark chocolate. Then some light sweetness from chocolate comes through and pairs well with some anis flavors so that it balances the stout nicely. Once the stout warms up a bit the flavors meld even better. Dangerously smooth to drink with no hints of alcohol even at more than 15 ABV.

2 Likes

Walkabout Passionfruit, Orange, Guava by Fat Orange Cat Brew Company (East Hampton, CT) - Fruited Sour

Refreshing fruity, refreshing sour - classic POG flavor balanced with plenty of sour/tart flavors so that you don’t forget that you are drinking a beer.

2 Likes

Sugar Plum Fairy by Four Quarters Brewing (Winooski, VT) - Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Interesting mix of bready, yeasty flavors with some toffee and pumpernickel tastes but also some spices (cardamom, allspice) and some mild sweetness with tones of prunes and dates. Relatively low bitterness in the dry finish. Slight warming alcohol taste in the finish.

2 Likes

Got this on draft at Fort Point’s Ferry Building kiosk. I like the bit of sourness from the yuzu, and given the low ABV this would be a great session beer, especially on a hot day.

2 Likes

Does it taste like yuzu (with added hop bitterness etc) - I really like yuzu but even some yuzu sodas etc the actual yuzu flavor is very muted or not like yuzu at all

Sanctuary by Mast Landing Brewing Company (Westbrook, ME) - Hazy IPA

Crisp, citrus forward hazy IPA with some mango and berry flavors mixed in. Later some herbal, peppery notes come in with malt notes. Medium bitter, dry finish. Complex, yet very smooth, drinkable NEIPA.

1 Like

Geisterzug Rhubarb by Freigeist Bierkultur (Stolberg, Germany) - Fruited Gose

Often fruited gose focus on the balanced contrast between the tartness of the sour and the sweetness of the fruit but here the natural tartness and slight sweetness of rhubarb is building a very harmonious combination with the gose. Very balanced but further elevated by adding spruce and coriander for some spice note which get amplified by the salt - brilliant gose.

1 Like

This is a nicely balanced New England style IPA. I’ve kind of become over drinking most IPAs but this was nice.

2 Likes

Yes, it does. Not super strong, but you can tell it’s there.

1 Like

Electric Lettuce by Moonraker Brewing Company (Auburn, CA) - Hazy DIPA

A lot of cantaloupe and papaya throughout the sip as the dominant flavors. Some orange and tangerine are mixed in at the beginning. In the middle of the sip some dank flavors come in and relatively low, dry bitterness finishes the beer. Good hazy DIPA but could have a bit more bitterness at the end for better balance.

2 Likes