BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Last month, my boss’ boss gifted me with a bottle of his home-brewed brown ale. He brought in a growler yesterday for a little office happy hour, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that he’d included ginger and nutmeg in the brew. Since the weather this weekend is going to be cold and wet again, maybe we’ll open our bottle.

2 Likes

Pulpy by Kettlehead Brewing (Tilton, NH) - Hazy IPA

Surprisingly subdued juiciness for a triple-dry hopped hazy IPA - mainly orange flavors with a little bit of lime. Followed by some grassy notes and a dry but hardly bitter finish. Easily drinkable but a bit one dimensional.

3 Likes

PB Fusion Technique by Weathered Souls Brewing Company (San Antonio, TX) - Imperial Stout

Quite intense mixture of chocolate cake with peanut butter (which finds the right balance of not overwhelming everything). Some notes of darker coffee and toffee in the background with dark roasted malts. Overall a great beer with a braised stew.

2 Likes

Juice Jr. by Great Notion Brewing (Portland, OR) - Hazy IPA

Some lighter notes of peach and orange upfront but what is unique to this IPA are the really strong floral and herbal flavors throughout. Dry finish with a slowly growing bitterness. Really nice hazy IPA.

3 Likes

KDA by Proclamation Ale Company (Warwick, RI) - Hazy DIPA

Very smooth DIPA with a lot of orange, lime, grapefruit flavors upfront and hints of melon. Followed by some malts and grassy, nearly musty and dank flavors. Long, dry, medium bitter finish - nearly too smooth and easy to drink for the ABV.

2 Likes

My local Costco is selling the Chimay Quadrilogy bgift pack of 4 bottles (Dorée [gold], Première [red], Cinq Cents [white], and Grande Réserve [blue]) plus a Chimay goblet for $18.99. I’ve always liked Chimay, and I had the Premiere with a kielbasa, cabbage, and white bean dish last night.

2 Likes

Mellifluous Batch #3 by Great Notion Brewing (Portland, OR) - Smoothie Sour

Tropical fruit punch made into a smoothie beer. A lot of tropical flavors with peach at the forefront. Some sourness in the finish but quite in the background. It was a good substitute for a mango lassi for a nepalese dinner but a bit unbalanced with too much sweetness for a great smoothie sour.

2 Likes

Barreled Treasure by Odell Brewing Company (Fort Collins, CO) - Imperial Stout

Upfront a lot of notes of roasted coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, caramel and toasted malts. Afterwards the bourbon and whiskey barrel flavor takes over with some added notes of vanilla and a slight sweetness of burned sugar. Surprisingly long lingering, quite bitter finish with a very slight alcohol burn. Overall a unique, sipping stout with a surprisingly thin mouthfeel.

1 Like

DDH Sparkle Motion by Narrow Gauge Brewing Company (Florissant, MO) - Hazy Pale Ale

Tons of citrus (lime, grapefruit, orange) upfront with a not overly pronounced malty component. Followed by a lot of dank, grassy, piney, sometimes floral, flavors. Very dry, medium bitter finish. Not unlike a good NEIPA but with bit more malt notes and less aggressive hop profile.

1 Like

Onyx Eye by Great Notion Brewing (Portland, OR) - Fruited Sour

Really nice and balanced fruited sour which tons of berry flavors upfront (hard to distinguish between them) and not overly sweet. Well balanced by good tartness from the sour with a dry, nearly minerally finish.

3 Likes

Hi, Jack ! by Hobbs Brewing Company (West Ossipee, NH) - Hazy IPA

Solid hazy IPA with grapefruit and especially floral notes upfront, grassy and slightly dank flavors in the middle with a malty backbone and a medium bitter, dry finish. Good IPA but also nothing outstanding.

2 Likes

Good for you. Looks nice. Was my fave hobby until I started having kids. Ya got me nostalgic.

Why did you stop when having kids ?

Gigantic Dad Pants by Cushnoc Brewing Company (Augusta, ME) - Hazy IPA

Juicy orange creamsicle upfront with a quite pronounced malt backbone. Followed by grassy dankness and a very dry, long lasting medium bitter finish. Very creamy mouthfeel from the added oats.

2 Likes

Honey Moves by Lamplighter Brewing Company (Cambridge, MA) - Belgian Blonde

Starts as a classical belgian ale with crisp, slightly bready flavors based on a malty backbone with some spices like cloves and cardamom. The tupelo honey adds some slight sweetness towards the end which some additional floral and very light caramel notes.

3 Likes

Juice Never Sleeps by Cellarmaker Brewing Company (San Francisco, CA) - Hazy IPA

Not surprising with this name - very high juiciness with mango, peach and orange taking the centerstage. Some light grassy notes later but more or less juicy throughout the sip. Dry, low-to-medium bitter finish. Quite smooth, nearly viscous mouthfeel.

3 Likes

Call Waiting by Great Notion Brewing (Portland, OR) - Hazy IPA

Interesting hazy IPA with a surprising hop profile as the overall flavor is very grassy, floral and dank with a high bitterness and just some moderate juiciness with some notes of lemon and orange. Dry, long lasting, quite bitter finish and overall very creamy mouthfeel.

2 Likes

Eat the Rich by Adroit Theory (Purcellville, VA) - Russian Imperial Stout

Nearly black beer and the taste follows the appearance- notes of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate and dark toasted bread. Very light sweetness in the middle before warming alcohol and some mild astringency finish the sip with more roasted notes.

1 Like

Laser Kitten by Medusa Brewing Company (Hudson, MA) - IPA

Lots of citrus notes upfront, followed by piney, dank aroma with grassy, sometimes herbal flavors - some malts in the background. Quite bitter and dry finish. Classical, relatively light, west coast IPA with high carbonation.

DDH One Ton by Long Live Beerworks (Providence, RI) - Hazy DIPA

DDH’ed to the max - fruit bomb with tons of mango and peach and grapefruit. The fruit flavors linger throughout the sip but some grassy and malt notes pop up here and there and it finishes on a dry, low bitterness finish. Very smooth, creamy mouthfeel which makes it even more dangerous to drink so easily.

1 Like