Beach Tavern, Monmouth Beach

So let’s review the Monmouth corollary and it’s postulates:

Liquor license + Mediocre Food = Successful Restaurant.

Except when:

10oz Burger + Tap Beer = Usually Ok.

To this we can now add:

If it has a view, it most likely spews !

Speaking of which I will be stopping by on Sunday to see what they have going on. I do want to spend a Sat. there at the newly opened beer garden.

1 Like

Isn’t the Haskell on Sunday? It will be crazy…

Exactly why I’ll have to stop by and see what’s going on. I have yet to go on any weekend since racing season started but I will stop by on Sunday, while rooting for Irish War Cry, horse is due for a big win.

1 Like

See: All of the McLoone’s locations.

1 Like

Well here is a fashion guide for you:

I think dusty pink could be your color this year.

PS. I love horse meat, can we eat the loser?

Yo V-Kaj! I love your acerbic wit, but you must tell me what’s on the other side of the coin. The yin to the yang, if you will. I know what you hate, but what do you love?

Research my posts. If I like something it is usually marked with “So Good” or “Delishus”.

I love street food and dives. If you check the regional specialties thread I just started you will find places I like to eat Carne Asada Burritos, Chicago Style Hot Dogs, Rutgers Fat Sandwiches, Thin Crust Pizza, and Mexican at the GI Forum in Omaha. I have eaten at just about every taco place in Eastern Monmouth, including many that don’t speak English.

As regards restaurants I’m more than a little difficult. I used to work in kitchens so if I get the flux, or notice dirt or flies I am out of there forever. You would be surprised how many times this happens. My background is Scandogermanian, so if it is a restaurant I expect a table cloth, crystal, cutlery, and a low noise level so you can hear yourself talk. Service should be friendly, but not obsequious. And the food has to be better than I can make at home. I insist on authenticity in food. I do not like a hodgepodge of trendy ingredients or somebody trying to put their own “spin” on a classic (for example buccatini carbonara with sage, buccatini should aways be served al’ amatriciana and no sage), which happens all the time down the Shore. I also generally favor 1 star Michelins over 3 star Michelins.

These prejudices tend to permeate my reviews, which often are not kind. Unfortunately, a lot of restaurants especially in our area just don’t measure up these days. If I had to pick my favorite restaurant in NYC it would have to be the River Cafe in Brooklyn.

As far as cooking, again check my posts especially in the what’s for dinner threads. I make a lot of American, Swedish and Southwestern German cuisine, but also French, Italian, English, Irish, Polish, Dutch, Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, Moroccan, Mugali, Bengali, Mexican regional, Brazilian, Cuban, Thai, Japanese & Vietnamese dishes. If I eat something in a restaurant and like it I go home and figure out how to make it, so I can cook pretty much anything. I also go out of my way to purchase unusual ingredients. I have at least eight stores in my regular rotation, including Central American and Asian Markets.

As an example, last night I made Vietnamese Lemongrass chicken served on an arugula salad with Mandoo (korean dumplings) and Kimchi on the side.

Tonight it is probably going to be Kasseler Ripchen, Schwäbisches Kraut, and Kartoffelpuree.

1 Like

Yikes!!! We had friends that went for dinner on a Saturday night and said it was hands down the worst service and experience they have ever had at a restaurant. And that’s saying something, because we have dined at some doozies. They said they sat down for 8 PM reservations and didn’t leave until 11:30. They were ordering double drinks because drinks never came. Three times requesting a steak knife, etc etc etc. We had lunch at Beach Tavern once before the season and it was totally fine, nothing special.

Hallelujah!!! Listen I truly hate being the guy that goes against the trend, especially when people I respect recommend a place. (@corvette_johnny) Honestly if I try a place I’ve read favorable things about on here and I don’t agree with them, I generally won’t even post about it. Give the restaurant the benefit of doubt of an “off night”. This experience was so bad though I couldn’t give them the benefit of doubt, between the pork chop (awful) linquini clam sauce (equally awful) fish and chips (seriously look at the picture) shrimp pizza prep as well as the exact same potatoes on both the pork chop and fish and chips, just shows nobody gives a shit was is coming out of the kitchen.

This isn’t a hole in the wall and this isn’t a cheap place. They have a long way to go to be considered even “ok” in my book.

Thanks for verifying I’m not delusional.

1 Like

About that, at least… :joy:

But not about your devilish good looks or your charming personality, can I ask you a question Jr: Do you actually ooze charisma, because that’s the rumor around the NJ board.
(Don’t forget I have moderation rights!!! Which I just abused to teach you a lesson!!! hahahahaha)

Attention this is a clear and apparent abuse of my (NotJrvedivici) powers as a moderator as I have edited Curlz post… However if Curlz wants to make fun of me then game on!! I now return to my non super hero powers*

Gosh @CurlzNJ I didn’t know you felt that way…:blush:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
And for those who haven’t met him, he does in fact ooze charisma!!

1 Like

Aha! So that was what I saw in the photos above. A little ooze on the plate…

1 Like

Not to mention the fact he looks great in dusty pink.

Haskell anyone?

1 Like

Oh come on now, admit it, you like it.

But you for sure don’t enjoy it as much as I do…

Bumping this up. Has anyone been to happy hour lately?

We were there on the day after Labor Day for happy hour. Get the best bar table in the corner at about 4:30. Our server was David H. His personality is so uplifting that you can’t not have a happy time in his care. We had martinis and oysters (best combo ever). Oysters good but Avenue’s are just better (the shuck, the temperature, the flavor from the oyster liquor retained after shucking, the mignonette). We then had the BT clam dip, served with home made potato chips. We demolished it. We left happy. Hope the next time is as positive.

Unfortunately I’m not a raw oyster person but thanks for the info. Some friends of mine love them.

So do you remember anything else on the happy hour menu?

1 Like