BBQ Forum/Section

I’m sure it’s been asked and answered, but is there no BBQ forum/section?

Where would you put one?
Cooking, eating, or culture?

1 Like

Oh I feel most unqualified to say since I’ve only been here a couple weeks. I love bbq so I’ve been looking for a dedicated thread… or section; yet not found one.

In trying to answer your question; within Cooking Discussion maybe? There’s a section there on baking/sweets. So maybe bbq fits in? Cooking with fire is a bit of a distinct technique so perhaps it’s worthy of a dedicated section.(?) Again, I’m new and only a cooking hobbyist so merely asking respectfully.

I’d be content to bookmark an existing thread we use.

2 Likes

Under HO search box, I found plenty of bbq dining topics and home cooking shares in hundreds of cooking threads but not one thread dedicated solely to making bbq.

1 Like

After watching Cook’s Country one day I mentioned the snake method to my husband. He said no way.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes. Recreating Texas in New England was a sketchy idea.
:wink:

3 Likes

We have a dearth of HOers in traditional bbq outposts so there’s that. A few Texans, a KCer or two, and… the rest.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just found this under Site discussion. There is actually a category called Want a New Board. Maybe it will help you get started.:slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/about-the-want-a-new-board-category/2358

2 Likes

That’s not even a dearth - that’s, like, half a dearth, tops :slight_smile:

Signed
Guy from where half the time BBQ means fish, and is still confused :slight_smile:

1 Like

… and a basketball player’s wife opening a place in Houston with a celebrity chef was a horrible idea.

I never went but assumed it had table service which is considered downright bizarre down here. :skunk: :cowboy_hat_face:

Ayesha Curry’s International Smoke restaurant abruptly shuts down - ABC13 Houston

1 Like

decline

(no don’t pay attention to that I’m just joking. since you joined I’ve been waiting to use your name against you. lol I will actually bring your request to the “powers to be” and see what if any reaction / response I receive to the request. sorry for the joke!!!)

4 Likes

Lol! Thanks!

1 Like

The Daytripper ~ Texas BBQ road trip :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Have you ever made the journey to Snow’s?
A couple of roadfooders did and loved it.

2 Likes

No, I would never wait 4-5 hours in line for BBQ.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve been to Snows dozens of times and Ms. Tootsie’s meat market in Lexington many dozens of times before that in the 70’s and 80’s when she and her husband owned the meat market there. There were lines even then but without the internet, they were usually only 5 or 6 deep. :grin:

Someone on my Longhorn forum said they arrived last weekend at 5:30 am and sat down to eat at 10. You know its gotta be great.

Both sides of my family have lived in the area for generations. What do you want to know?

Edited to add:
My mom and the owner’s mom were in the same class all through school from K thru 11th grade. (Mom graduated a year early.)

4 Likes

I love BBQ and when my daughter was living in Austin we flew in early and went straight to Franklins. At 9:30 am the line was already ridiculously long. I like good BBQ but no way do I have the patients to stand in line for over 4-6 hours. Split that scene and wondered over to La Barbecue. Yes there was a line but it was an hour wait and the Q was good

4 Likes

I’m with you about waiting. No food ANYWHERE is worth an hour wait in a line. I might wait in a bar but not in a physical queue. No way.

1 Like

One hour was not too bad given the reputation and we chatted with a BBQ restaurant owner from Northern California who was sampling bbq all around Austin. But sorry Franklins, 4–6+…hrs is just crazy. And although the reviews are good there too many poor reviews about the Q being overly salty

3 Likes

I don’t know, I thought it was clever to keep the coals going while trying to maintain a steady lower temp. Me personally, I use an electric smoker and can maintain a constant temp and add wood little at a time to maintain smoke during the long cooking process

2 Likes