(BBC) Foie Gras ban infuriates NY restaurateurs

Excerpt:

What is the food industry saying?

Ms Daguin from D’Artagnan told the BBC she thought it was a “very bad” decision.

“There are 1,000 restaurateurs in New York City who have foie gras on their menu right now. They are all very incensed,” she said.

Izzy Yanay, co-founder and general manager of Hudson Valley Foie Gras, one of New York’s state major foie gras producers, meanwhile told AFP the industry would fight back.

“We’re going to kick their ass in court.”

Will go into effect in 2022. Meanwhile, how are they doing in CA since the ban in 2012?

Good question. Latest post I could find on HO.

1 Like

I voted with my wallet on this a number of years back. I am offended by the obvious cruelty to the birds and simply don’t order it on the very rare occasions I see it on a menu. It really doesnt sit well with buying high welfare meat at home and, generally, trying to avoid factory produced meat as best I can when dining out. I suspect most chefs in the UK, even those at a high level, recognise the contraversial nature of the ingredient and just don’t use it. My restaurant notes indicate I’ve only eaten it on two occasions in the last ten years - both when it was presented as a canape.

I’m with you. I just don’t order foie-gras. The first one or two times I had it – as an add-on to a dish I wanted for something else – it was just “meh” to me. I didn’t understand the hype. In all fairness, maybe I had poor renditions of it, but it was enough for me to think ‘why bother’, and save $$ on this seemingly over-priced item. And then finding out how they were farmed just made me that much happier not to support such a gross practice.