Barnacle Bill's (Rumson, NJ)

At that point they could be using Traveler’s Club (or the gin equivalent of WD-40) and she wouldn’t know the difference. :smiley:

Agree I’ve switched from Tito’s to svedka or Costco brand, which is an outstanding value. Same with tequila

1 Like

Svedka for its price point is an excellent vodka.

Agree. If you get the chance Kirkland brand is quite good too

Eli, you know I’m just joking with you buddy! Cool article. I love this place and I hope it remains the same until I croak. My comment about the popularity wasnt directed at you :slight_smile:

If you and Mrs P want to head on down for some navesink burgers they’re on me : )

2 Likes

Yeah my local Costco doesn’t have a liquor store so I’ve never tried it but I have heard their brand is good. What do they charge for 1.750lt bottle?

Ahh… my favorite topic to hate on, people talking about what vodkas are better than what.

I’ll try not to be a jerk about it and just say that I am a full convert to bottom shelf, usually
Lairds or Popov and have not looked back. I do get my panties in a bunch when people specify the vodka they want in a mixed drink, like it matters. Titos is all the rage these days and somehow squeezed its way into an already saturated market. It’s really fascinating to me how well people can market and sell a brand of what is essentially alcoholic water.

In general the absolute bottom shelf Vodkas will often be just as good as top or middle shelf, and in every taste test I’ve ever done seen results are just all over the place.

I will say though there is definitely a psychological element of having a nice glass bottle vs a cheap plastic one. I do think Svedka is a great choice when you balance the price point and aesthetic.

2 Likes

Absolut Peppar in a bloody mary, Absolut Citron in a gimlet. What’s up w/that?

Any pepper in the Peppar is overshadowed by the pepper or horseradish in a bloody mary. Any bar worth leaning on should have fresh lemons and limes. Never understood the need for a citrus flavored vodka. Unbunching my undies now, sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No offense taken, cj :slightly_smiling_face:
I don’t know if we would take the trip down south for a burger, but we might be tempted for some crab :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got 4 today lol. Maybe one or two more are in the trap but it is not looking good. The current is strong with the full moon. I might have a week or two left up north but this place is toast I think. I might cook these up tonight or try and catch a few more tomorrow .

1 Like

I am trying to figure out how to cook these. I want to try something different.

What a bad day crabbing but an amazing day on the water. This was the best weather day I can remember this year.

1 Like

whenever I’m north of the Driscoll I stop in your hometown to hit up Costco to grab some booze. The handle of tequila is like 20 or so and quite good. There’s two vodkas- the cheaper one, American made is like 18 a handle and the French Grey Goose variant I think is like 25. Honestly, they are outstanding values and are prob worth twice the price. Svedka is my go to when I’m tapped out and not able to head up there, although rumor has it Sams Club has a pretty good one, Rue 33 for like 28 a handle that I’ve yet to try as well as their house brand for 14 and much closer over in Freehold. I’ve retired from Popov or Georgi Vodka as the smell reminds me of horrendous college hangovers that I’m frankly to old for

2 Likes

This ensuing conversation is why I don’t bother with a top shelf vodka. I too cannot really tell much of a difference between them. As someone said, it is mainly about the marketing. Grey Goose (and another brand Chopin) have awesomely fancy looking bottles. There was another brand I saw only once called Anastasia where the bottle looked like an iceberg with jagged edges. You pay for that. People will fall for it every time. Grey Goose was once considered dog shit before they underwent a marketing campaign to show themselves as high end.

Granted, I’ve had a cheap vodka or two that tasted like nail polish remover, but for the most part, I can’t justify the extra money. I can tell a slight difference in aromas (alcohol vs. neutral, which probably comes from whether grain, potatoes, etc, was used) but for taste, no way. Svedka to me is perfect. Has a nice bottle, good price, and a neutral aroma. The only time I may splurge is around the holidays where the companies put out gift sets at cheaper prices. I’m a sucker for a nice looking glass. Sobieski usually does a nice one.

Gotta know where to direct your money. Gin and whiskey, absolutely. But for me, not vodka.

1 Like

check out the Vodka that comes in the skull- pairs great with an Ed Hardy or Affliction/Tap Out T shirt…

4 Likes

While on the topic of Vodka, I got these sent to me yesterday by Black Box (they have moved on from boxed wine to boxed liquor as well). These two 1.75 L boxes were “samples” they mailed me so I could review them on my blog. I tried the whiskey right away. Its neither good nor bad. Certainly better than some I have had. Would make a good mixer. Will probably get to the vodka next week.

blackbox

2 Likes

That is really cool that they send you free bottles.

Now that I think about it, I’m sure that lady wasn’t paying for the food so she probably just got top shelf. I would have done the same thing.

Perfect Sunday afternoon for a couple of Mai Tais and cheddar burger
(started with fried Z of course but no pic)

6 Likes

Just me and the daughter tonight and decided to pass by the old reliable Pour House and go to Barnacle Bills.

NE Clam Chowder, delicious with the perfect potato to chopped clam ratio.

Fried zucchini chips delicious as well.

Baked seafood platter (me) and baked salmon for her. My only complaint was the tarter sauce was a bit too pickley for me. Kudos for offering brown rice as an optional side!

In accordance with my post in the NY resolution thread only an unsweetened iced tea for me, sorry @gcaggiano and @corvette_johnny no LIT tonight.

6 Likes

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I like the NE chowder too.

It is amazing how little of this menu I’ve explored, but how much food I’ve demolished there over the past few decades. Lol. Don’t fix what’s not broken I guess.

3 Likes

The baked seafood combo really is a winner. The bacon wrapped shrimp are the best I’ve ever had.

2 Likes