Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

If you live here, you’re better off just going where you want.

Totally agree, in general it makes more sense to just go directly to the place.

Getting to try multiple bbq places all at once in a festival is too dependent on lines and weather conditions. I’ve heard both hot/rainy extremes about the TX Monthly festival in Austin.

1 Like

We’ve got a new BBQ restaurant in Katy - Corky’s - a chain out of Memphis. Many of the local Tennessee-expat crowd hailed this like the second coming of Christ, if Christ were a Memphis pitmaster. They jammed the place to, and beyond, capacity the first few weeks.

After the initial crush subsided, I gave it a try. Mediocre, at best. And that’s being generous. Won’t be back.

3 Likes

I’ll never understand chains going into the belly of the beast.
Famous Dave’s tried to put a restaurant in KC.
Didn’t last a year, as I remember.
Why would one go there when a World Of deliciousness lies just outside the door…

1 Like

I don’t either and it will be interesting watching what happens to this one. People tend to love what they grew up with and, so far, the only positive reviews I’ve read about Corky’s seem to be from transplanted Tennesseans. The Texans are saying, “No smoke” and “Dry brisket” and “Texture of ribs is like they were just baked, not bbq’d” and “Sweet ‘bbq sauce’ is more like ‘bbq syrup.’”

Apparently the pulled pork is good but I don’t know - didn’t get it.

Are there enough Tennesseans and pulled pork lovers here to keep their doors open?

We’ll see.

2 Likes

The Wifeacita has grown fond of it.

Is pulled pork big down there or something that is somewhat new on the TX BBQ scene? Ive been doing shoulders for a while now. I’m into hickory and pecan mix…about 80/20. Cider vinegar

Pulled pork definitely not “big” in Texas. But, that said, a pulled pork sandwich can be mighty tasty, so you do find it available, and many Texans love it. However, not one of the Texas “big three”: brisket, ribs & sausage.

3 Likes

Anyone been to Truth other than our recent visitor?

I went today in horrid weather thinking it would be an ideal time to visit, and it was. There was no line at all and plenty of room in there. But no parking spots. For a place that size, it has very few parking options, a small side lot and a narrow street behind with people parked on the edges. People sitting in the lot waiting for someone to leave. Just no. They need some additional parking somehow.

Truth is, I was going to get chicken and I see now on their site, they don’t have it. Turkey is no substitute.

But it smelled good. Maybe next time.

2 Likes

Pulled pork is a relatively recent phenomenon that has now spread outside the original boundaries and threatens to invade the whole damn country.
Pork was sliced when I was younger in KC.
Pork historically in Texas has always been less popular than beef; I’m assuming it is still the same.

2 Likes

It’s pretty new, 10 years ago you never saw it but like I say the Wifeacita has warmed to it, me I can take it or leave it. I’m a brisket or pork rib guy.

It definitely is on more menus and is here to stay. What kills me is Carolina places pulling beautiful pork and then mincing it into tiny pieces, the only thing worse is doing the same thing to the noble oyster.

1 Like

Pork spare ribs are part of the BBQ trinity along with brisket and sausage. My favorite ribs are at City Market in Luling.

Gigantour beef ribs are now available at many spots.

2 Likes

I like the turkey better than the brisket at Roegels as I feel they use way too much pepper.

1 Like

Ribs are a separate category from pulled pork. :wink:

3 Likes

So have pork ribs caught up in popularity to beef ribs down in Houston? When I think of TX I think beef but I’ve only been there a few times, and unfortunately, never to Houston. Do they do the full on spare ribs or st Louis cut? Oak wood?

2 Likes

I’ll say beef ribs have caught up to pork ribs. Beef ribs were not common on menus as much as five years ago.

3 Likes

TRUTH BBQ
110 S. Heights Blvd

On weekdays, the options are to get there early and wait in line, or later and wait for a parking spot to open.

Arrived today at 11:15 and there were plenty of spots to park and a 20 minute wait to arrive at an order station. When we left at 12:30, there was no line and no parking. :roll_eyes:

I got the chopped beef sandwich and potato salad and a link of the jalapeno/ cheddar sausage. We also sampled ribs and cole slaw. Pickled veggies on the side. The actual housemade pickles were delicious and my favorite thing on the plate.

None of the meats tasted richly smoky. The sausage hid well the cheddar and jalapeno flavors. The potato salad and slaw were terrific I thought.

Two cold bottled sauces, BBQ and mustard are on the table along with a hot sauce, no S&P anywhere which is odd because I like a generous dose on potato salad. The mustard was recommended for the sausage. Both taste strongly of vinegar, especially the red.

All in all, adequate barbecue.

At check out they tried to sell some cake. Massive cake slices. The recipes are the original owner’s grandma’s recipes. No room for cake, but someday I may go back in the bakery door (no wait) and take a slice to go because they looked amazing.

Oh and although I no longer drink much beer, I had to get the Dome Foam. Such nostalgia! Remember when it was free after a home run?

5 Likes

That’s scant praise for a Top Ten BBQ joint.

I’d call that “disappointing”.

2 Likes

A bit, yes. But I am far - light years - from a Q expert, so I hesitate to say so. I’d go back, it’s certainly the best in my daily sphere (Because, Pizzitola’s :persevere:). I’m more of a traditional spicy sweet BBQ sauce person also. Swinging Door is still my nostalgic favorite.

1 Like

Bill Miller’s is a good bar-B-Q spot, they have salads and potatoes. Never had a bad experience there.

I never go to Bellaire, but Blood Bros. BBQ is getting some attention there.

http://bloodbrosbbq.com/

If anyone knows of a place serving chicken, I’d be happy to know about it.

1 Like