Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

Fair 'nough, never went there but wish the new owners the best, there’s never enough good BBQ around.

1 Like

I have it on good authority this new spot in Katy is outstanding. Get there early for the pork belly burnt ends. Wed-Sun, 11:30 - sell out for those with the energy to drive outside the loop. :rofl:

https://www.facebook.com/brettsbarbecueshop/

" BRETT’S BARBECUE SHOP·THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 2018

I am opening up my very own Barbecue Shop in the same town I grew up in. Brett’s Barbecue Shop is coming to Katy, TX October 2018. I am excited to make the old Nonmacher’s BBQ off Mason Road my new BBQ headquarters. I am thrilled to get back to what I love doing most and the fact I get to do this in the very spot I fell in love with barbecue is a dream come true.

Brett’s BBQ Shop will offer Central Texas style barbecue smoked the way it was meant to be. Slow smoked over oak wood on the Nonmacher BBQ original pit that has been around since before I was born. Brett’s BBQ Shop is all about getting back to the roots of Texas barbecue by holding true to the philosophies and traditions I learned while at Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, TX. Brett’s Barbecue Shop will never give up on what’s best for what’s easy. This mindset allows us to always offer the best smoked meats in Katy, Texas. We never settle for good enough which was an ideology lived and breathed by Wayne Mueller."

2 Likes

Sounds awesome. What time do they usually sell out?

I haven’t been yet, but a friend said they sold out of the pork belly burnt ends quickly, those sound amazing!

I’ve been. Young guy working out the kinks. Just starting on his bbq journey. The brisket was definitely good. I’d go back. He was out of ribs so I don’t know about that. Like many young restaurateurs, he’s trying to do a bunch of stuff “different” with varying degrees of success. I have higher hopes for a plethora of new bbq places coming to Katy. And I’d like to share with Brett the wisdom of that old adage, “If it ain’t broke…”

We’re getting a new location of the Llano Cooper’s, and of the Memphis Corky’s. Also, we’ve got a bbq food truck out here that is getting good buzz - Daddy Duncan’s. They move around a lot and post their locations for the upcoming week on their FB page. It’s really popular and sells out of brisket and ribs quickly, so I’ve never been able to track them down in time to sample either. They are working on a bricks & mortar location, though, so I’m looking forward to that.

PS. I miss y’all.

4 Likes

We tried to go to the Cooper’s in Llano a few years ago but were driven back by an ice storm. Hills and ice don’t mix.

There are several Cooper’s locations around Texas, with varying degrees of affiliation with the original in Llano, and success. I really like the one in Llano. Will be eager to give this one a try.

For central tx bbq, what kind of wood do you guys use? I think post oak is a main wood down there. I believe you guys sometimes cut it with hickory or mesquite. I’m always into trying different combinations and learning from different regions. I know you’re big on brisket down there.

Yep, you’re right. It’s pretty much what is native to the region.

In south Texas near the Mexican border it’s mesquite because that’s pretty much all there is down there. I’m no fan of it for smoking as it burns hot but I love it for grilling meats.

Brisket is big but it’s part of the Texas trinity which includes pork spare ribs and sausage.

2 Likes

Truth opened up a few weeks ago in my daily commute territory. Looking forward to trying that, I hear the dining room is large, but I never visited the prior business in that building, J. Black’s or something like that. The fact that Visitor @hyperbowler had no issues getting in and getting food is encouraging!

1 Like

We need a report.

I see they have tater tots, a huge plus, I’m not usually a bbq side order guy, but can’t resist the tots.

The only problem with this location is we have to drive by El Tiempo to get there. We were on our way to Carrabbas Saturday but swerved into El Tiempo for a couple of margaritas and a shared carne asada.

Perfection!

2 Likes

Hahah! I see your point! They also seem to have tater tot casserole I see while just now perusing Yelp. Most items are slapped on a flat tray with the meats.

2 Likes

So you didn’t make it to the pizza bar at Carrabba’s???

1 Like

No, that will be next weekend as I’ll still be on vacation, unless we swerve into El Tiempo again.

They get a bad rep for being expensive but they have great portions.

We split a carne asada at 25 dollars, about what you pay for two hamburgers nowadays. We mentioned how good the refried beans were and boom, there was a side order at no charge. Is it because we are known there?

1 Like

I used to get the pollo pechuga a la tana ($19.79), but holy cow, it hung off the plate. I could eat about 1/4 of it.

I was wanting Thai food last week and headed to the looooong time location of Nidda Thai on Westheimer and whaaa? That old building (with the sex apparel store next door) is completely gutted as is the parking lot, certainly and overdue remodel for that address. The sign says Nidda will reopen after the remodel. I’ve gone there for Thai intermittently since the 90s, probably through multiple owners.

But then I went to the Westheimer location of El Tiempo instead a block away, seeking a spicy lunch. Sat downstairs there, it is dark as most of them are, but the food was as good as ever.

Ah, but I see we are hopelessly off topic for this post.

2 Likes

http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/2019/02/12/2019-houston-barbecue-festival-in-humble-texas/
What about this shindig?

1 Like

120 bucks for the two of us and a two hour round trip, not happening.

2 Likes

The San Leon oyster fest is two weeks later and if I’m going to drive a million miles I want all you can eat oysters at the end of the rainbow plus it’s on Galveston Bay compared to, dare I call it an armpit, Humble.

2 Likes

So we did this one a few years ago at a different venue. I think tix were $35 back then.

Anyway, you get unlimited tastes of each purveyor, but to get that taste you stand in line for ten minutes or so and get literally a bite. Sometimes two. But no more.

There must have been twenty or so different stands, maybe more, but we decided we would have been better off just going to a good restaurant somewhere and getting what we wanted.

The plus side of course was that we got to try a lot of different places. For example, I remember Ronnie Killen was serving beef ribs and that was just after he got a little notoriety in Pearland. So whenever that was.

Unfortunately, it was a bit chilly that day and most bites were fairly cold by the time you got to them.

I guess if I was coming from out of town and wanted to try a bunch of different offerings, then maybe it would be worth it. If you live here, you’re better off just going where you want.

My $0.02.

4 Likes

Agreed. You can go a million miles in a different direction and go to Killen’s BBQ in Pearland and can eat like pigs for two with a ton of leftovers, or feed a posse if you’ve got one. That same money will buy a great meal at many places like the Original Carrabba’s and eat like pigs like we did last weekend.

Pics and web site link.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/killens-bbq-pearland-2?utm_campaign=search_listing&utm_medium=partnership&utm_source=yahoo

1 Like