Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

The chicken at Snow’s is my mom’s favorite but Roegel’s also does a smoked half chicken.

2 Likes

I never had the BBQ but I was at one in San Antone and caught them when they brought out a fresh batch of fried chicken and it was delicious.

1 Like

Anytime a side is the best thing is a very, very bad sign.

All you can drink dome foam. The Astros rarely hit homers back then so they expanded it to striking out an opponent on an even minute.

Flash back. Richie Hebner of the Pirates fanned in the first inning

and combined with a tiny crowd it was on.
Two guys and free beer equals I think I’m still looking for my truck in the parking lot.

We carried out multiple beers, try that today.

1 Like

I went there once, say no more. Beside not liking the food I couldn’t get past the table service.

Totally missed that development, but yeah, those days are gone. Definitely a good thing, but we were the end of that era. It was all fun and games until someone got killed drunk driving I guess. I remember with a shudder the days of 3 for 1 drink specials at night clubs as well.

Rudy’s serves chicken. My daughter always gets it.

And, Cooper’s from Llano is coming to Katy. When we lived in Austin, I often drove up to Abilene to see family. I went through Llano and picked up a couple of chickens every time. They were wonderful. So don’t know about the Katy location but I’m optimistic.

1 Like

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/blood-bros-bbq-2019/
This appeared in my BBQ feed and it just sounded like something I’d really enjoy.
Have any of y’all been, or have thoughts?

I have not, but a friend has been hitting it every Sunday. It’s getting a lot of recognition.

1 Like

We finally made it out to the Houston location of Truth BBQ yesterday. If you don’t already know, the original Truth in Brenham had been picked as one of Texas’ Top Ten Q joints. I’d never been to either, however and was really looking forward to it. We got there about 1 and had a 30-40 minute wait in line.

We were three and ordered together. We got 3/4 pound of brisket, six pork ribs and two pints of side dishes, beans and potato salad.

The moist brisket was cooked well, but the bark was way too salty, and in case you don’t recall, I’m a literal salt monster. I L-O-V-E salt so when I say it was too salty, you can assume that you wouldn’t like it at all. Seasoning a brisket is not an exact science however and since I’ve never heard anyone else complain of Truth’s brisket being too salty, I’ll accept it was a “one off”.

The ribs were seasoned well, but were “wet” and there was no “pull” to the meat at all. It literally just fell off when you tried to pick it up. Additionally, the fat wasn’t that well rendered. My bro thought they cooked it too hot and fast, but I think they cooked it too low and slow. Opinions?

The beans and tater salad were both good.

All in all, I probably won’t go out of my way for it again, but won’t hesitate to drop in if I have a couple of hours to kill in that neighborhood.

Succinctly: I’ll neither avoid it nor seek it out.

Additionally, we’ll be making our annual pilgrimage to Snow’s in Lexington in a couple of weeks. The recent Texas Monthly Reader’s Poll predictably selected Snow’s as the Best in Texas out of a 64 member field. The biggest surprise was that a new BBQ joint called Brett’s Backyard came in second after beating Aaron Franklin in the semi final. Brett’s is in Rockdale just eighteen miles up the road from Lexington.

Must be something in the water.

4 Likes

My thoughts. The ribs steamed themselves with all the moisture. They were to low and slow .

1 Like

I too liked the tater salad. What about the table sauces, any comment? Did the meat taste of smoke?

1 Like

Posse.

Lambsy, yes to smoke and no to sauces. I did try the red sauce on a fingertip and it reminded me of Snow’s - thin and vinegary. I did not try the yellow sauce.

2 Likes

Another listicle: mueller and snow beat out Franklin in top 5.

2 Likes

Is Kansas City in the South?

Yes. For purposes of BBQ, and culturally, pretty much.
Missouri and Kentucky were slave states that didn’t secede.

So we need a new sofa and can’t find one we like and were inexorably drawn to I-45 North between Tidwell and Parker and Mattress Mac.

They have a smoker in the parking lot and hand out chopped beef sandwiches as fast as they can with all the fixings available. Not bad especially when washed down with freebie Blue Bell home made vanilla.

No sofa but Mac was there as he has been on all three of my visits mouthing his favorite word no while vigorously shaking his head side to side. He didn’t amass his wealth by taking ridiculous deals or caving to whining customers, sorry for the mini rant but too many years in retail.

Lambsy I believe your favorite is chopped beef so I started a search and it began and ended at Demeris on W. 20th with a classic Texas chopped beef.

2 Likes

Every town has a PT Barnum.
:slight_smile:

Mac is a local legend and has done so much for the city.

1 Like

I didn’t mean that in a bad way.
Movers and shakers get things done :white_check_mark:

1 Like