Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

I’ve given up on sides at BBQ places. It’s all about the meat.

3 Likes

Interesting story in the Chron yesterday about Houston BBQ Company on Eldridge. We went there a few times back in the 90s and then got sick of their stchick.

Apparently it was sold a few years ago and the new ownership has improved the product greatly. I might have to give it another shot one of these days when I’m out there.

Link

4 Likes

Did not hear, I last went at least 10 years ago.

2 Likes

The latest from Chron’s BBQ columnist. I’m not sure if this goes here but I didn’t find a state-wide thread on BBQ.

5 Likes

Never had this dish but Ray’s is good. BBQ, boudin, catfish! Very nice folks, too.

2 Likes

Had them at Boogie’s years ago - it used to be only a half mile from me. Also at 2 Brothers Smokin Oak Kitchen on W. Bellfort off Stella Link. An acquired taste, starting with the very sweet sauce. 2 Brothers appears not to offer them anymore - in fact, appear to be quite a few changes to that menu so maybe a change of owners?

2 Likes

Well I hadn’t heard about this but apparently it has been open a year, now. The new name is Holy Smoke BBQ

3 Likes

The article is back behind the paywall now but I think I remember reading that one.

From what I remember I thought he was overreaching in trying to link Houston and the Golden Triangle area as a group. While he had good evidence of the guy from Louisiana who introduced the signature links to Beaumont’s pit masters later coming to Houston and doing the same thing, that was in the 1950s and all of those Houston joints are long gone. The 3 places he mentions include Ray’s on OST, 3J’s on Homestead, and Burns off I-45 N. Ray’s was serving Lott’s Links, his recreation of the sausage at one of the old places, but it seems to come and go from the menu of his new place. I’ve been to Burns, though not since Roy Burns died; I do not remember that he was serving the SE Texas style links. I’ve never been to the other one.

I think Reid has done some very valuable historical research and documention but the Taxonomy he was proposing has already come and gone. I did hope to see some comment and discussion of his thesis but never did; I don’t know if there was any that I missed.

What Houston seems to be noted for now is going beyond the historic Central Texas style by diversifying the menus more, offering not just sauce but several sauces, not phoning in the sides or deserts, and adding tacos, meatloaf, pastrami, etc. Heck, places are even opening for breakfast now!

See also, of course, Blood Bros. BBQ.

ETA: Something else I remember from one of his other articles: in the middle of the last century, the overwhelming majority of bbq joints in Houston were Black owned. That’s not true now and hasn’t been true for decades. Desegration killed a lot of small businesses in Black neighborhoods.

1 Like

Ray’s Old Fashioned Pit BBQ on OST (closest thing I’ve experienced to Pierson’s; people on CH raved about Pierson’s chicken), The Pit Room, Montrose, Gatlin’s on Ella. Probably others. I very seldom order chicken at a bbq joint but I’ll slam on the brakes if I smell a Pollo Asado wagon or truck! .

I do go for turkey now and then.

And The Pit Room, as noted, is planning to move into that sad and needy food and restaurant desert known as the Memorial Area.

1 Like

At the risk of having my permanent residence/ID card stamped ‘UNFIT for Texas Citizenship,’ this is okay by me. I had ‘smoked fat, prime quality’ at Killen’s twice and didn’t care for it. Too much fat vs. muscle fibers.

1 Like

That brief slideshow at the top of the article kind of gets your attention :smile:

I’ve been to 12 of the 25 over the years, 13 counting Truth’s Brenham location. I just can’t eat like that anymore.

3 Likes

I can’t get beyond the paywall but I know he likes Feges which isn’t far from me, I need to get there for the sides.

1 Like

This should work but it might be without images:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonchronicle.com%2Fprojects%2F2022%2Fbest-bbq-in-houston-area%2F

2 Likes

Yes. Worked for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome, yes it worked. I have dozier’s on my list also, it has been a staple forever in Fort Bend County. I grew up there but never have been.

3 Likes

3 strikes and yer out?
Expanded too fast?

2 Likes

Apparently only two strikes.

FTA: But, for anyone looking to try their hand at recreating any dishes at home, the Cherry Block Craft Butcher and Texas Market in Katy remains open.

1 Like

I think all the regulars on this forum have taken a pass in the past but I’ll post it anyway.

2 Likes