Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

jocostiones, I completely agree on the City Market in Luling. It embdies Texas.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid we lost @jcostiones last year, may he Rest In Peace. :cry:

6 Likes

@Lambowner - clip from Ch2 - The Swinging Door is swinging shut for the last time soon!

2 Likes

I saw their announcement and itā€™s so sad but not unexpected. I had my first marriage rehearsal dinner there in 1979 as a child bride. Before that I have lots of memories of family and friends gathering there. Luckily I have sort of rediscovered it since 2020 and have been several times recently. The owner is getting older like the rest of us and I donā€™t blame him for wanting some time to enjoy his success. I loved the potato salad and green beans of lateā€¦no Sysco truck darkened the doors (no offence to the co-founders of the Houston company, they serve a purpose).

4 Likes

LTGTR :heart_eyes:

We had an outpost of Broussardā€™s a few years back, down on the BW @ Fondren. I went a couple of times. Itā€™s an interesting take on East Texas bbq. Iā€™ll look forward to checking it out.

Last I knew, Rayā€™s on OST was making a version of the links from one of the places in Houston that made them last century.

3 Likes

That sounds great. As it happens, I now have another baby niece in Houston, so I guess I better go visit!.

1 Like

Houston leads the way with 5 spots on New York Timesā€™ list of best Texas barbecue restaurants (msn.com)

(Hopefully posting the MSN link will get around the pay wall).

1 Like

Iā€™ll run this by my cousin in Houston. I have been critical of the Timesā€™ reporting on barbecue. See https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/25/the-new-york-times-love-and-barbecue/

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the ā€œ20 Bestā€¦ā€ as reported by the Chron.

Itā€™s the ā€œ20 Best from the New Generationā€¦ā€

However, neither Gatlinā€™s nor Burnsā€™ are ā€œNew Generationā€ in any way. I assume the writers just poorly researched their article.

I found Truthā€™s brisket to be too salty on my only two visits. And I LOVE salt. They should have visited the original Brenham location in any case.

Blood Brothers was ok but not top tier. Look at the brisket in their photo in the Times article. This is what they chose to present. Not top tier

I havenā€™t had Brisket & Rice, but people whose opinions I trust like it a lot.

These truly are the good old days of Texas BBQ.

3 Likes

Rice is a unique Southeast Texas barbecue side dish. Hereā€™s where to find it in Houston (msn.com)

Article by JC Reid/Chronicle - interesting.

Donā€™t know about the opening paragraph - canā€™t remember any discussion of the ā€˜originsā€™ of ps/slaw/beans with bbq, butā€¦

Iā€™ve had the Dirty Rice at Gatlinā€™s and itā€™s one of my favorite sides there; probably have had it at Rayā€™s but donā€™t remember it.

Have never seen jambalaya at a bbq place that I know of but havenā€™t been to Goode Co. in 20 years? and never been to Pinkertonā€™s (yet). Maybe I should remedy that.

What do others think?

And, @Jaymes - I consider Shiner just a far-flung suburb of Houston with you there, so what are your thoughts?

(Hopefully the MSN link gets around the pay wall).

3 Likes

I loved the rice at Pinkertonā€™s. See https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/23/pinkertons-barbecue-houston-texas/

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t have thought of Shiner as a ā€œfar-flung suburb of Houstonā€ before living here, but it kind of is. Given Texansā€™ penchant for driving, Iā€™ve frequently heard folks talk of going to Houston for the usual big-city things - shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. - and many drive in routinely for medical reasons.

Itā€™s a fact that we are right in the middle of several small towns, but what they offer is extremely limited. And then there is our sort of big town - Victoria. It takes us nearly an hour to get down there. Our two big cities are San Antonio & Austin, and it takes about 1.5 hours to get to each.

So, for only about 20-30 more minutes, we can get to huge, interesting, dynamic, diverse, world-class Houston. Thatā€™s an option many folks take.

4 Likes

How are you liking it out there? Are you getting involved in the community at all? I would hate to think your neighbors donā€™t know, and therefore canā€™t appreciate, the vibrant personality in their midst.

I LIKE to think youā€™re the center of attention in any number if book clubs, gardening groups, church cliques, etc., etc., etc.

So, how ya getting on in Shiner society?

1 Like

Well, it turns out that many folks who have lived in one town all their lives, gone to k-12th together, know everyoneā€™s parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, previous boyfriends and girlfriends and husbands and wives, etc., are not that interested in the latest exotic animal to arrive at the zoo. :dancer:

I am making inroads but, for the most part, am an object of quizzical interest best viewed from afar. :smile:

1 Like

Famed Texas barbecue spot closing its doors after 67 years (chron.com)

Dozierā€™s in Fulshear shutting down at the end of the month. Iā€™m very sad to hear this. I remember back in the 70s/80s reading in the Chron of Houstonians heading out on Sunday to this place, which was quite a bit farther outside the city limits then. I couldnā€™t imagine how bbq could be worth that kind of time and effort ā€” until I got out there and tried it myself. It was my first experience of ā€˜meat-market-bbqā€™ and thus paved the way for my bbq obsession for several years. For a long time, Dozierā€™s was one of my personal five favorite places, along with City Market in Luling, Blackā€™s in Lockhart and Muellerā€™s in Taylor. When I was making regular bbq trips to Central Texas, hitting up all of the above and maybe a couple of others, on the way home Iā€™d look for the FM 359 exit on I-10 and head down to Fulshear to see what they what I could pick up to take home for the week ahead, then finish the 45 minute to 1 hour trip home. Then I couldnā€™t help myself; despite pigging oā€¦, er, consuming a very generous amount of smoked meat for the previous several daysā€¦ Iā€™d start snacking on Dozierā€™s goodies, sometimes until it was all gone.

I think it started going downhill years ago, perhaps when the longtime pitmaster retired, or when they put in the Oyler oven and didnā€™t need a pitmaster anymore. I havenā€™t been in close to 10 years. But I will always cherish the memories.

2 Likes

Pinkertonā€™s Barbecue acquires permit to open at former 59 Diner in Upper Kirby (msn.com)

??? Somewhat baffling news - but much closer to me if it happens.

I think I ate at the 59 Diner once around 15 or 20 years. ago. Iā€™m a fan of Pinkertonā€™s. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/23/pinkertons-barbecue-houston-texas/

Yeah, me too! Wasnā€™t as good as word of mouth suggested. Change of ownership, new owner opened a second location (near to me) and then lost it all.

Itā€™s not that far from Pinkertonā€™s original location, still inside the loop.

Moutā€™s Barbeque in Southeast Texas makes its mark on the TX BBQ scene (msn.com)

I stopped in Winnie once, some years ago. Got a steaming hot boudin link and some saltines to snack on!

1 Like

More on Pinkertonā€™s 2nd location:

Grant Pinkerton shares details about Pinkertonā€™s Barbecue opening in the former 59 Diner (msn.com)