Barbecue 2022

I wrap brisket and baby backs in pink butcher paper. I don’t know if Franklin would wrap b-backs in aluminum as they’d get too mushy for my likening. However I’ve met many who like it…just not my type of rib. I don’t like gnaw off the bone either. I want to sink in my teeth and let it pull off fairly cleanly.

Rather than 3-2-1, I use 2.5 - 1.5 (wrapped) - unwrap and slather on some sauce - 20 minutes to warm up the sauce and reset the bark a touch.

Interesting, but hardly definitive on whether the Crutch includes paper or is limited to foil.

Both will impede evaporative heat loss, which I understand to be the #1 reason to wrap: so the cut does not stall midway through the cook. Yes?

Perhaps not definitive, but it seems clear how Franklin defines a ‘Texas Crutch’.

Franklin from my memory used plain pink butcher paper and before wrapping the brisket he;d mist it with plain water.

Wrapping a brisket in foil has been derisively referred to as “the Texas crutch…

We resorted to techniques we never do: mopping with oil, butter, onions, and garlic to add moisture, richness, and fat; wrapping them with foil (the dreaded so-called Texas crutch)…

Excerpt From
Franklin Barbecue
Aaron Franklin & Jordan Mackay
https://books.apple.com/us/book/franklin-barbecue/id914374749
This material may be protected by copyright.

Pretty sure I’ve seen Franklin oiling paper before the wrap.

Unless there’s a rulebook somewhere, I think wrapping qualifies as the Crutch, not what the meat is wrapped in.

As for the idea that butcher paper is significantly permeable, this runs counter to my experience with non-Q cooking with baked foods wrapped in parchment.

See, https://www.masterclass.com/articles/barbeque-101-wrapping-meat-in-foil-vs-butcher-paper#20NHPdlqcQWnTGsNxt3Ipp

You may have seen him oil paper. I have only watched and read him speak of misting it.

You also might have heard him call wrapping in butcher paper as a ‘crutch’…as a Texas crutch though? In the big picture it’s probably not too important. He says, he’d use foil when the job calls for it. I don’t use foil, but then I didn’t make my money at making barbecue either.

And the slice of white bread at the bottom. Fries and BBQ sauce are next level.

Yeah. I’d take the I 35 tour; but everytime I drive that chunk I almost die in some climatic disaster. Weather heates I 35. I have been to one in Wayzata, though: North Shore. Lake Minnetonka and Lower Lake. Fun driving around there.

1 Like

Welcome to my world!

You live there? Sweet spot. I’m down in the coulee region, W Central WI. East of la Crosse about 25 miles. I’d like to do a tour du BBQ if I ever get back up that way again. Good time.

1 Like

I do.

I had two waterfront homes but sold one about two years ago. It was a lovely home. My favorite. The other house isn’t as nice and has less shoreline. The tenants have a generous lease.

Lovely area. I always visit the dang cities on college tours, but so rarely get out to places like yours. Tired of eating in Dinkeytown. I’d rather hit some BBQ up your way.

2 Likes

Yes, but only for about 6 weeks a year. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Winter Carnivals. For 9 months!
Of course, I’m from KC, self proclaimed as the Slush capital of the world.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

My local craigslist has a couple of used masterbuilt smokers for sale. An “electric” and a “sportsman elite.” These are seller descriptions and I don’t know much more like the model #, etc. Selling for $75 and $100. Thoughts? Is it a good product? Good price? Looks like new masterbuilt sells for around $200…

I just jumped on Craigslist. $75 for a Masterbuilt. Hmmm.

Sorry, I don’t have any experience to draw from to help.

I found this review I felt helpful.

I might pick one up.

2 Likes

I have used a friend’s master built electric 3-4 times to smoke prime rib (amazing!) and had another friend’s fabulous brisket from a master built electric countless times. At $75 I would say it’s a good buy for anyone who wants to do some smoking with minimal fuss. Obv not for someone who is interested in the process, more for someone focused on results.
ETA some old photos of smoked prime rib.

4 Likes

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Sabrosisimo!!

1 Like

@bbqboy that prime rib was actually smoked more or less in your neck of the woods, in Gleneden Beach on a visit a few years ago. Gorgeous area!

1 Like