[Bangkok] Last minute short trip

So, I decided to join my parents for a trip to Thailand. I am in Bangkok now, my parents will arrive tomorrow. I came in earlier as I also need to leave sooner - by the end of next week (work…).

As it happens, I flew Cathay Pacific, which meant I could also do a stopover in Hong Kong, one of my favourite cities. Unfortunately, hotel pricing in HK was too exuberant for my taste around new year’s day (eg the Cordis in Mongkok was now over 400 euro a night, compared to half that when I stayed there in April 2023), so I only stayed for 1 night. No big issue as I spent a week in HK in 2023 already.

As for Bangkok, I haven’t been here in over a decade. I go to Thailand quite frequently but always to Phuket.

I’ll start with some short reports about places I have visited over the past few days, and will update in real time from tomorrow on. Only Bangkok now. If anyone has some nice tips, please let me know!

7 Likes

So, Hong Kong - I decided to stay in Central, Wellington Street to be exact. Cannot get more central than that!

First meal: breakfast for and with locals. Sang Kee congee shop, just in Sheung Wang. I took a regular bowl with chicken and sliced beef, very good! The beef was tasty, the chicken thick and succulent pieces, and then they used chicken broth. You could add some condiments which were for everyone to grab (more than what you can see on the pic). I think I paid 60 HKD something.

I am in no way a connaisseur of congee, but the taste was good and clean, and the constant arrival of locals seemed to suggest this is a popular spot.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pXNbnM6U4ARCbBWk8?g_st=ic

13 Likes

Sheung Wan has a lot of nice places to eat, from old skool restaurants to European style small terraces where locals eat local food outside in a very chilled and relaxed environment.

I wasn’t hungry yet at the time, so I had my second meal in Mongkok, at Wing Fat Seafood restaurant, at the Temple Street night market. I was there last year and enjoyed it, so I went back. I initially wanted to have roast goose again at Kam’s but the queue was over an hour long… I could have gotten roast goose elsewhere of course, but opted for some lighter seafood instead.

Started off with some clams in black bean sauce, one of my all time favourite dishes. These were good, but there was still some sand occasionally, plus the sauce wasn’t as potent as last year. Still a very tasty, top dish (I just have high standards I think lol). Followed by some greens, kai lan. Simply blanched, and like last year, they offer very fresh vegetables.

Finally, I decided I still wanted some meat, so got the beef ribs in black bean sauce (as mentioned in the menu). What I got were absolutely divine deep fried beef ribs, so juicy, and a wonderful taste of spices (black pepper and 5 spice). This dish was outstanding!

In the meantime, the place was buzzing, and people were queing to have a table. I’d say 80 percent sitting were locals, with many of them enjoying hot pot outside. Always so funny - it was like 22 degrees Celsius (typical European summer weather) and locals were wearing actual winter jackets… :slight_smile:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LBm99At3TnVNta5j6?g_st=ic

15 Likes

Third and final meal in HK - Oi Man Sang in Sham Shui Po. One of the last remaining original dai pai dong restaurants, with the famous wok master working outside. Never been here before, but saw this place on youtube and I just had to see the guy at the wok myself.

I think he is on drugs or something lol - he just stands there in a small outdoors environment that I think is literally as hot as an oven, just wearing a tshirt. They use kerosene to heat the woks because the wok can get hotter than with regular gas! He is so focused and zen, smiling as he is cooking, he is just completely in the zone. At some point while I was waiting for my table (over 30 minutes!) he sprayed some hot oil over his shirt and didn’t flinch at all.

Only ordered two dishes, again clams in black bean sauce, which were better than at Wing Fat. The sauce was potent and spicy. And then prawns in salt and pepper. These were a little disappointing, also because they hadn’t cleaned them properly. Maybe I should have gotten the prawns with salted egg yolk instead, they seemed popular all around.

13 Likes

Oof! Looks delicious!

Also, so nice that you’re on vaca with your parents!

1 Like

Loved reading about your adventure.My son was assigned to the American embassy in Bangkok about 15 years ago for 4 years. I frequently visited him as my room was always free lol. Loved adventures in eating in BKK and loved Phuket immensely.
As for HK stopped over for a few days a few times, loved the shopping there and the side trips to Macau that made for some really interesting experiences.
Keep posting and I will keep smiling to myself as I remember my adventures. Happy New Year

4 Likes

So, first night in Bangkok, I went to the Pratunam night market and got some bbq chicken and pork. This was 10 baht per skewer, something like 25 cents. Really nice of course, hard to go wrong with bbq food that is cooking as you watch it.

Later that evening I went to this restaurant I found on google maps. By the way most of my choices are made based on google maps, instagram local bloggers, and Michelin. Or just what I see and like, ie usually a place that is full and lively with lots of locals.

It’s called Chandrphen and it’s a Chinese restaurant. As I was still alone I couldn’t order a lot of food, but I’ll be back in a few days. I like that this is a local, traditional place, in a city where there are a lot of restaurants in malls.

I took their ‘famous bbq chicken’, which was very mildly flavoured with 5-spice, and accompanied by their home made chilli sauce. Then I also ordered some morning glory, one of the most ubiquitous vegetables in these regions. This was Thai style with chilli. Nice and fresh.

12 Likes

That’s some good eating there, good way to start.

Do you do the Thai raw shrimp salad? Probably our favorite of the many great eats there. Love steamed whole barramundi as well. Need to head back and eat.

1 Like

Hi, as it happens I had some shrimp salad today for lunch, with lemongrass. I don’t think they were raw though, probably lightly blanched, or cooked through the acid of lime juice. I had some raw shrimp in Phuket last year, and then also here in BKK at a Japanese restaurant (post will follow).

This is a nice place, a lunch restaurant next to our hotel (Okura). It’s called Sanguan Sri. Only local office workers there, nice family run place I think.

What you’ll see in the pics are the shrimp salad, a curry wtih beef, and a curry with roast duck (including the skin of the duck, pineapple, and cherry tomatoes). Total bill around 10 euro! They have a week menu with different dishes per day, and then a regular menu. I’ve been here twice now and won’t be my last.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7PkEoVbcyysoKxZL6?g_st=ic

10 Likes

So, the Japanese place is called Sushi Seki, they have several branches in malls, I went to the one in Siam Paragon (5th floor). This is mall eating so devoid of any character - but the food was excellent.

I had a what they call a Hokkaido Omakase box. Apparently they use the the term omakase here for raw fish on rice. I got a really beautiful box of sashimi on flavoured rice.

What they served me included: crab, foie gras, prawn, scallops, tuna akami, engawa, and salmon.

I have never been to Japan so I don’t have a proper benchmark for this price point but this tasted very good, melt in your mouth fish. I paid 850 baht, around 23 euro.

9 Likes

Oyster omelet! Found this place through a mention in the Michelin guide (no stars). Local plastic chair kind of place in a backstreet of Chinatown. They only serve oyster omelets, and then some things to go with it. I also had fried rice with crab.

The oyster omelet come in basically two types: crispy, and soft. I took the crispy one, in a small size. You get a crispy omelet with oysters, and then some warm soft oysters on top. It was good! Really nice flavour, and heavenly with the chili sauce. Unfortunately they didn’t serve beer nor whiskey otherwise it would have been even better. I also ordered the fried rice with crab as mentioned. Paid 250 something baht total, so around 6-7 euro.

9 Likes

Two other local places right near the hotel.

First up, Madam Somtum. A hip type of place frequented by a lot of young people. As the name suggests their specialty is papaya salad, so I took that, plus a salad of grilled beef. Both were excellent.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QwYSVctHvmLTkoQc7?g_st=ic

And then also nearby is Na Ploenchit Boat Noodles. Okay, this was really good. A bowl of what I think is the Thai equivalent of a ramen. I was wondering where the darkish colour of the broth came from, and after googling it seems they use pig’s blood as well… :slight_smile: Anyway, really good, clean flavours, top dish.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yXTFG149Zikff3qh7?g_st=ic

8 Likes

And then a lunch outside of the city centre, and I believe Peter will find this interesting, as I had Hainanese chicken rice! Found this place through instagram. Very local place.

I had a mix combo of plain Hainanese chicken and then also soy chicken. They came with two sauces. Both types of chicken were really good, and the rice was flavourful. Homely style food, something one can eat every day. Very popular place as well.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vTvmBdTy5SkFK2B99?g_st=ic

10 Likes

Yes, I agree, and it has been a while since we we went on vacation together.

They are now 82 years old! Bangkok is not the most friendliest city for elderly what with all the elevated stairs in order to cross streets. But they love it here and really wanted to go back, and have me around just in case.

9 Likes

Happy new year to you too! Thanks for your post and it would have been wonderful to have a son working for the US embassy in Bangkok! As it happens the embassy is across the street from my hotel on Wireless Road (I think). Right next to Lumphini Park. Beautiful area. Must have been a great time then in Bangkok. My last time here was over a decade ago, and the city seems much more gentrified compared to then, eg less street food around.

3 Likes

If there is one Bangkok restaurant which I really missed, it’s this one: Krua Apsorn.

5 Likes

So glad you are getting to do this with your parents! Thank you for letting us follow along.

6 Likes

It was amazing although it looks like you’re having a pretty amazing time as well, Cheers.

2 Likes

Your posts are causing major procrastination…and bringing back a lot of great memories. B and I used to visit Bangkok at least once (sometimes twice) a year, either to visit other places in Thailand or to use it as a hub for other SEA destinations. Like you, it’s been ~13 years since we last visited Thailand so I have no data for you but I don’t think you need them–you are eating so well. We would cluelessly wander around Bangkok and stop at any place that looked good. And it almost always was good. A friend of ours was one of the Lonely Planet Thailand authors, so she was a great resource, too. I’m sure if we return, we will also be taken aback by the changes. Every place seems to be getting sanitized/watered-down.

And finally, I so admire your parents for taking this trip - I wish I could bring my parents back to Korea…they’ve never been back and they are both in their 80s now. You’ve put a bug in my ear, as they say. Maybe I can motivate them to go this year.

4 Likes

So, we went back to Chandrphen. Yes, this is the type of place I love! Again full house, lots of loud and outgoing locals, a lot of families. Small kids, grandparents.

We started off with small deep fried prawn rolls (tasty but a little heavy, prepacked from the freezer I think), and a spicy papaya salad. The salad was good, one of the best I had so far in BKK. A good balance between sweet, sour, spicy and tangy. They serve raw white cabbage and fresh morning glory with the papaya salad, I think to get some relief and ‘clean’ your mouth from the spiciness of the salad. It worked at least.

Next up, fried rice with prawns and Chinese spinach with garlic and chilli. The fried rice was excellent: it had that wok hei flavour, and the taste was very balanced, leaning more towards Cantonese versus how some Thai fried rice dishes can be bold and sweetish. The spinach was good, though I had preferred to have morning glory again but they were out.

And to top the meal off, we ordered Thai style bbq chicken and braised and then fried duck with plum sauce on top of it. The chicken was lovely, better than their famous bbq chicken I had earlier in the week. Succulent and juicy meat, and a treat with their homemade chili sauce.

The duck was excellent, and a new rendition to me, crispy and soft at the same, and then with a sweetish plum sauce. The food was so good that we finished it all at the end, even though we were already full and wanted to take leftovers back to the hotel.

The servers then suggested to look at the dessert menu. I did, and took vanilla/coconut ice cream in some sweet coconut sauce with these sweet pink thingies. Lol this was almost done before I remembered to take a pic, standout dessert.

The overall bill was 2200 baht, around 60 euro. We also had some young coconut juice with flesh, Chinese tea, and two pitchers of their draught beer. We may go back later this week as they have Peking duck, but only serve them whole (1200 baht). The service is excellent - they are kind and helpful. Great place! :slight_smile:

9 Likes