[Bangkok] Afternoon tea at the Author's Lounge, Mandarin Oriental

One of the most pleasant things one can do whilst in Bangkok just has to be having afternoon tea at the legendary Oriental Bangkok’s elegant Author’s Lounge.

Numerous renowned authors have stayed at the grand old hotel through the decades: Somerset Maugham, Noël Coward, Joseph Conrad and James Michener, among others.
DSC06419

The bright, sun-lit conservatory has perhaps one of the most elegant setting for afternoon tea that one can find anywhere:

Service was absolutely exemplary here.

The three-tiered silver serving trays bore some of the finest entremets and canapes I’d ever had:

1. Anti-clockwise from left: Creme brulee strawbery tartlet, Passion fruit cheese cake, Tonka and mandarin cake, Peach vanilla macaron, Chocolate choux

2. Front (left to right): Lobster religieuse with rock melon caviar, Green asparagus tips in clear tomato aspic on white sourdough bread, Chicken salad with Pommery grain mustard rolled in charcoal bread loaf.

3. Front (left to right): Cucumber ricotta cannelloni with fresh herbs on oat bread, Lobster religieuse with rock melon caviar.

4. Raspberry financier and madeleine, warm plain and raisin scones (served warm).

Devonshire clotted cream and seasonal selection of homemade jams are served with the scones.

1. Very good selection of fine teas to choose from. I had the White House Tea:

I could just sit here forever. :rofl:

Address
Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
48 Oriental Avenue
Bangkok 10500, Thailand
Tel: +662 659 9000 ext 7390-3
Operating hours: 12 noon to 5.30pm for afternoon tea

4 Likes

Absolutely lovely. Afternoon tea is just so, erm, civilised, I reckon.

I think a “proper” one should have sandwiches as well as the cakes but their bread based items just look so fab I forgive them . Outstanding!

1 Like

Gorgeous photos, Peter.

1 Like

I remembered having cucumber sandwiches as part of their afternoon tea very long ago in -the 90s. Oriental Hotel started serving afternoon tea in the mid-1970s and their offerings evolved over the decades, but seemed to have settled upon the current composition since about 2-3 years ago (?)

Thanks, Jim. The setting was so beautiful, one could capture lovely images at every turn.

1 Like

The savoury looked more seductive than the sweets, for once.

1 Like

Beautiful space.

1 Like