Bakers gonna bake - sweets and desserts 2019

Rosemary focaccia!

Hmm. Weird.

DH made these macadamia nut/white chocolate cookies for tailgating at the UW v Hawaii game. Their food was all island things, Kahlua pork sliders, etc. I have alumna from both universities🙀

6 Likes

Ooooh yum

Pie for dessert - chocolate cream. Was good.

5 Likes

My wife made me Boston Cream Pie from a 2013 Serious Eats recipe. Really good pastry cream, but for some reason the cake uses oil rather than butter, and consequently tastes not quite right. It reminded me of how an eclair shell tastes. I don’t know if oil-based cakes are traditional for Boston Cream pies, but if they are I’ll stick with DD’s Boston Cream doughnut if I want a fix.

3 Likes

You may just need a good recipe and I’ll send one if you like. BUT if you can scratch that itch with a donut you won’t have a whole cake around to tempt you. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

A picture of a recent tart we took to a dinner party. Almond shortbread crust, topped with a pastry cream, a layer of homemade raspberry and blackberry jam. Topped with raspberries from our yard. Amazingly, we’re still getting beautiful raspberries!

13 Likes

That is gorgeous!

2 Likes

Indeed beautiful! Our raspberry season is over now, we still have some lovely strawberries.

May I ask how many bushes you have to have that much raspberries the same time?

2 Likes

I made an apple pie yesterday. Not a big deal but it was my first try at a lattice top. I’m not impressed with myself. It wasn’t eye-hand coordination as I make a darn good bacon weave. I think the dough was too sticky to withstand the pushing and pulling of the lattice weave. I’ll try again soon as I want one fit for company at Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

Why thank you Christina! We were going to divvy up the leftovers with our hosts, but we forgot to take our share and left the antique plate there too!

We only have 2 bushes, but they were really prolific this year @naf.
We had enough to supply both kids with berries since they started ripening in early July.

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me this summer when I was making a lattice top for a strawberry rhubarb pie @Auspicious.It wasn’t very attractive, but at least I tried! DH is the one who makes those beautiful lattices, as well as making beautiful braided breads. Hell, he was the one that braided the kids hair (French braids included)! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this. Made some Challah the other day.

8 Likes

One of my favorite baked breads! yours is a beauty!

1 Like

Thanks Rooster! One of my favs too and fun to make!

1 Like

These came out nice. Kind of like quiches, but without the hassle of crust. Bisquick with bacon, swiss and onion. A classic pairing. I did mini sized and regular muffin sized.

6 Likes

This sounds perfect for thanksgiving pre-gaming… we do a grazing brunch all day until the big meal at 3 or 4.

Did you use a recipe, or would you mind sharing your method?

2 Likes

The thing I love about this recipe is that you can make it in advance, and then toss them into the freezer. The day of, I defrost them. They reheat very nicely.

Makes about 48 mini quiches or 12 regular sized muffins

8 ounces swiss, shredded
2/3 cup onion, minced
12-15 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups milk
1 cup bisquick
4 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper

Blend together milk, eggs and bisquick. Let rest.
Spray mini pans with non-stick spray.
Fill each 1/2 full with onion, cheese and bacon.
Fill 2/3 full with milk mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Invert onto wire rack to cool.

These are very easy to put together. If you want to bake and eat the same day, you can prep the bacon, cheese and onions the day before. Then just whipping up the batter takes no time, and voila! Delicious bites.

I don’t add salt because the bacon and cheese is already salty enough for me. But I do use the pepper.

4 Likes