Bakers gonna bake - sweets and desserts 2019

Wasn’t sure where to put this. Made some Challah the other day.

8 Likes

One of my favorite baked breads! yours is a beauty!

1 Like

Thanks Rooster! One of my favs too and fun to make!

1 Like

These came out nice. Kind of like quiches, but without the hassle of crust. Bisquick with bacon, swiss and onion. A classic pairing. I did mini sized and regular muffin sized.

6 Likes

This sounds perfect for thanksgiving pre-gaming… we do a grazing brunch all day until the big meal at 3 or 4.

Did you use a recipe, or would you mind sharing your method?

2 Likes

The thing I love about this recipe is that you can make it in advance, and then toss them into the freezer. The day of, I defrost them. They reheat very nicely.

Makes about 48 mini quiches or 12 regular sized muffins

8 ounces swiss, shredded
2/3 cup onion, minced
12-15 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups milk
1 cup bisquick
4 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper

Blend together milk, eggs and bisquick. Let rest.
Spray mini pans with non-stick spray.
Fill each 1/2 full with onion, cheese and bacon.
Fill 2/3 full with milk mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Invert onto wire rack to cool.

These are very easy to put together. If you want to bake and eat the same day, you can prep the bacon, cheese and onions the day before. Then just whipping up the batter takes no time, and voila! Delicious bites.

I don’t add salt because the bacon and cheese is already salty enough for me. But I do use the pepper.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Are they wet on the bottom when done, or does a crust settle?

Wondering if I could bake them in paper cups or silicone liners…

Love the idea of making ahead, I do that with quiche. I think these should be a bit sturdier, which is a positive for Thanksgiving travel.

The magic of the bisquick is that it forms a crust. So they are entirely encased in crust. No paper liners are needed. I just spray the tins liberally, and let them cool for a few minutes before taking them out to cool completely.

And once cool, they are very sturdy!

1 Like

A large batch of Oreos from Bravetart. Very good. Have done other recipes and found the cookies would not be crisp after a day or so. These are still very crisp 4 days after baking. I did use part black cocoa to get the dark color.

9 Likes

Wow. How kiddo friendly is the recipe? I’m trying to get more of our young chefs in the kitchen.

The cookie dough is very easy to work with, bit messy as it is dusted w cocoa for rolling. The filling does require the butter to be cooked for a while.

Raspberry tart made a while ago, using the recipe of Cyril Lignac, he sells the same version in his shop till end of during summer till early autumn. Almond tart case, garnished with an almond cream, a light raspberry mascarpone cream and fresh raspberries, filled with a raspberry compote. Took several hours, but worth it.

Smaller sizes with the leftover ingredients

I’ve tried with basil from Marseilles and mint as finishing herbs. I find the small leaves of basil gave a much desired strong flavour that matched well with the raspberries and was more interesting than with the mint

8 Likes

Made a Parisian flan tonight, based on a Jacques Genin recipe interpreted by Julie Andrieu

A success! Quite creamy contrasted with most custard that can be hard and a bit jelly like. More smooth and slightly more cooked custard will be perfect, said Mr N. I think another vanilla pod will be even better. (At present, 1 pod is used)

I like a lot the tart case, crispy yet buttery. And well, this flan is a real energy booster, with 9 yolks in the custard and I felt recharged after eating a thin slice. Recommended!!

The original version of Jacques Genin looks like this!

Photo by Mercotte, recipe here

7 Likes

Looks gorgeous and delicious!

2 Likes

Thanks! I should bake more often, next project will be puffy pastry, need to solve the mystery to make croissants. :yum:

2 Likes

Sounds fantastically good!

2 Likes

These are beautiful! And I love raspberries… Yummy.

I make only two kinds of cookies for the holidays: persimmon for dh and gingerbread men for son and his family. Today, the persimmon, with blond raisins and walnuts, lots of spice.

5 Likes

Never taste dessert using this fruit, must be special.

Homemade banana bread. Delicious.

6 Likes