Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

I found your recipe when did a search, sorry for the repeated question asked by others already, but I’m a newbie in bread. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Cool. I was waiting for a quiet moment tomorrow to respond. This loaf is truly idiot bread. Not sourdough, and I apologize for that, but is is a great sweet French-type bread. Please let me know if you want more input.

2 Likes

Can’t do more complex bread, as no room in the fridge for the rest. I’m making your no knead bread today and see how it goes tomorrow.

1 Like

Made this lime curd pie yesterday.

Very good. Although a bit regret to have made it at a time that supplies are scare (Need to queue up long time to even enter supermarket, not to talk about possible empty shelves). The recipe uses a lot of butter, I think it will be difficult to make a second dessert this week… with only 125g (4.4oz) of unsalted butter left. Maybe will combine with salted butter…to make a rhubarb tart…

By the way, l’ve some pork fat or lard, is it possible to substitute butter?

4 Likes

Many folks actually prefer lard to butter for pie crusts!
Heres’s a recipe (I haven’t tried it but it looks good : )

2 Likes

Lard crust is fabulous for apple pies.

2 Likes

And especially for savory meat pies.

2 Likes

@pilgrim @StephanieL @Happybaker

Good to know this. Can one just substitute in a recipe butter by lard, I’ve read that butter is 20% water and 80% fat and lard is 100% fat.

Theoretically, no, Practically, yes. I have been accessing full fat (or close to it) butter labelled either “baker’s butter” or “extra creamy”. Butter here is labelled with %age fat.

If someone wants an extremely easy sandwich bread recipe, I highly recommend this one:

I do 1/3 whole wheat flour, 2/3 AP and usually a little lighter on the butter.

It isn’t going to win beauty awards, but is crazy easy in the food processor and very comforting.

7 Likes

Not bad for a first timer. Made it after 22 hours of rest. Thx @pilgrim
I followed the original recipe of NYT but used the oven temperature and time of pilgrim. It turned out wonderful.

I’ll try the version 3.0 next time, with beer and vinegar in addition.

8 Likes

Nice looking loaf @naf!

1 Like

@naf Way to go, naf! Spectacular loaf. Since I was made aware of this process, I have felt very empowered that given flour, water, speck of yeast and oven, I could provide bread with little effort. In the country, where you can’t buy a decent loaf or here in town where today it is the luck of the draw whether your store will have bread. Or, worse, if you’re as old as I and am admonished to STAY IN! Enjoy!

3 Likes

@naf, realize that variation is endless. Add raisin, algae, walnuts, what’s your yen???

Yeah, actually, I’ve made some loaves before, but either the loaf was too dense or the bread was too hard. The texture of this loaf was impressive with minimum effort. I do wonder if using a sourdough starter but applying the no knead method, how would it be different. Yes, adding some cereal or nuts or spice can be interesting.

There are people suggested cooking the bread on a pizza stone and covering with the cast iron pot. I guess one will obtain a more “burnt” bottom.

This is nice and fast!

Husband hates the burnt bottom. I remove the lid at about 20 minutes, whenever I think the maximum jump has occurred, and put the loaf directly on the oven rack. Seems to work well.

2 Likes

Sour Cream Banana Bread - to use up homemade sour cream experiment. Two will probably be gifted to elderly friends/neighbors.

7 Likes

Hooray! Beautiful! Good for you!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

I love this recipe so much. I also don’t use the suggested covered baking time - 15/20 mins covered gets the crust to the right level for me, so it doesn’t become too chewy in subsequent days. I also like the trick of doing the second rise in a parchment paper-lined colander - helps the shape, and you can just pick up the parchment corners and transfer to the pre-heated pot.

There’s a quick version of this recipe too - up the yeast to 1 tsp per 2c of flour, half an hour or so first rise, 2-3h second rise. People say there’s a flavor difference between the overnight rise and the quick, but if you need the bread faster, it’s still very tasty.

2 Likes