Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

That’s looks and sounds fantastic. Very Halloween ta boot.
Great use of the s-v water.

SK uses the microwave for melting, which is what I do (plus, only one bowl to clean).

I have taken to cutting back the butter to a stick (8T) and they’re still plenty rich.

1 Like

Last night I baked off the last few frozen cookie dough balls from the batch I made a couple of months ago.

Kids snuck two as dough, which left only one cookie per head - bad planning on my part!

But, now I get to make another batch so there’s that.

Based on Ovenly’s Secretly Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie - sounds weird, but tastes delicious. I sometimes use a bit of meted butter or ghee because I think it will boost the flavor, but I don’t actually think it’s necessary - the base recipe is very flavorful. Ease in on the salt - I use half the amount. Don’t skip the fridge rest.

2 Likes

1st time focaccia came together for me. Bonnie Stern recipe that produced a super moist dough that took to the olive oil drink really well. I added dried rosemary to the dough and fresh on top along with malden salt and melted garlic butter.

12 Likes

Yummmmmmmm!
I want to dive into the screen and tear off a giant chunk!

I just did (for us both) and dunked in my Aunts Sunday gravy from yesterday.

1 Like

Simply gorgeous @Rooster, I can almost taste it.

1 Like

Thank you. Here’s the Bonnie Stern recipe:

So pleased-worth sharing.

4 Likes

Well thanks @Rooster!

1 Like

I bagged the olive oil coated dough and let it rise in the frig 10 hrs. Puffed up beautifully. High rise in the buttered 9x13.

4 Likes

@Saregama, Did I miss your birthday? :tada::tada: if I did!

Thanks @rooster - it was early in the summer, don’t think you missed it then!

No, this was for a long-distance birthday celebration for my far-away sibling (we ate brownies here, there was different cake there - I forced them to bake our now-family-standard chocolate ganache cake, lol).

Now that’s a stunner!!

Thanks, @heidicooksandbakes. I’m trying!

Misfits Market sent a very large zucchini this week so I tried a bread recipe from Smitten Kitchen before the zuke went south.

We are still making our way through the focaccia and this recipe is supposed to freeze well after an overnight on the counter to firm up.

5 Likes

I forgot to write up my baguette experiment - turned out pretty well for a first try.

Changes I’d make next time - longer / fridge rise, bake with steam for longer for crust development.

Great chew and texture, just a bit denser than I wanted.

Last night I also made some indian dinner rolls on a whim - called Pav or Pao (from the Portuguese), yeasty and soft.

These would be store-bought, not made at home - either you get them from the bakery (baked twice a day, early morning before breakfast, and late afternoon for dinner) or a “bread man” - “paowalla” - would deliver them directly home, along with Pullman-style loaves that he would hand-slice at the door.

I wanted them in combination with a curry we had for dinner, and even for a speed-risen bread (1.5h start to finish) they were quite good. I’ll be trying them again - with more advance planning and patience :joy:.

7 Likes

Looks delicious. Which recipes did you use? Recommend?

Next project - I’m making papad - my favorite kind to start, which are the tapioca kind that puff up and double in size when they’re fried.

I made the batter and spread it last night - they have to dry out completely now.

Pretty fun. There’s a rice version I’m going to try next, for kicks.

7 Likes

I looked at KAF and a few others, then ended up just using the NKB recipe with slightly less hydration for a stiffer dough as @biondanonima suggested above. Traditional recipes have a rise and fold 3-4 times… maybe I’ll do that when I have time during the day sometime.

The baking trip-up was from a fresh loaf contributor who said to only steam-bake for 7 mins - the crust wasn’t good enough. (That was remedied with leftovers because I rinsed the outside and reheated, so the crust was perfect.)

The Pao recipe is similar to AlexandraCooks and other quick-rise breads - half recipe / 6 rolls fit in the loaf pan:
1.5c flour
1t yeast
1/2t salt
1t sugar
1T oil or melted butter (inside dough)
about 3/4c liquid (started with 1/2c milk and added enough water to get to a medium-soft dough, which was almost another 1/4c)

• First rise 1-2h till doubled
  • Knead a bit, divide into rolls, place into loaf pan leaving a bit of space for expansion
  • Second rise 30-45 mins till they puff up and join
  • Bake at 400F for 12-14 mins, broil for 2m to brown the tops
  • Brush with melted butter to soften the tops (optional)

On the Pao I’m going to try less yeast and a slow rise, and the milk was unnecessary imo, they were too rich/heavy vs what they’re trying to replicate.

5 Likes

I started trying oat milk instead of cows milk because its lighter. The brioche rolls I made upthread were incredibly light and buttery.

3 Likes