Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

This loaf cake was a big bore. The cider flavor was barely there. It will be used in some other way.

Then I moved on to oat milk dark chocolate pudding. Planning a citrus fruit topper later.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a letdown. Maybe you could try drizzling Maple Syrup over the slices?

My wife suggested whipped cream and cooked down apples.

1 Like

If you like them, a bread pudding with fruit would be nice, as would a trifle.
Itā€™s disappointing to get a dud recipe or result, through no fault of your own.

Like you, Iā€™d always turn my flops into successes, and luckily I had plenty of eaters in my life when I baked more, including people at work @Rooster.

1 Like

I whipped some maple cream up @RedJim and layered it with slices @Lambchop and sent the loaves off to my neighbors. Their kids are always up for a quick snack. The hilltop cul de sac we share is a popular hang for skateboardersā€¦with appetites.

The pudding is all oursšŸ˜‰.

3 Likes

We try :wink:. I donā€™t like to waste food but I also donā€™t enjoy eating anything just to clear the decks. Thxs for the support.

1 Like

That sounds great!

3 Likes

Baked bread by request today, to use some new toys (that I did not order :joy:)

Banneton, couche, bread pot - all adorable :heart_eyes: - and unnecessary :joy:

No-knead overnight, Lahey / SE recipe with some tweaks (tangzhong, adjusted water content / hydration, timing).

Best bread yet, says a discerning little. Fantastic texture, but Iā€™ll use the fridge slow rise for flavor again next time (this was quick - maybe 10h overnight and then 2.5h second rise with 0.5t yeast).

7 Likes

Looks beautiful. Nice vessel.

1 Like

I love the size of that crumb! Fabulous!

1 Like

Bummer. It would probably make good french toast.

No, too moist. It was soft.

Broke out the toys again for another no-knead boule.

Half whole wheat this time, tangzhong again, and an excellent result.

I was a bit worried about the ww, but I used indian chapati flour instead of regular ww, and the finer, softer flour worked perfectly. I might test a greater proportionā€¦

This dough aged in the fridge for 3 days.

And I had an unfortunate experience with the banneton (dough stuck, of course) - so Iā€™m very lucky the boule still turned out the way it did!

6 Likes

Gorgeous bread @Saregama

1 Like

It looks lucious!

1 Like

Thanks! It was a testament to how forgiving bread baking isā€¦

I almost cried when the fully risen dough tore because of sticking to the bannetonā€¦ I scraped out the stuck part and stuffed it into the bottom, inverted the dough again so the torn part was on the bottom too, said a small prayer and put it in the oven.

5 Likes

Thank you! I recall you had a LOT of flourā€¦ hope youā€™re still enjoying using it!

1 Like

Pumpkin muffins. My sisters recipe and the baking papers from my Aunt.

7 Likes

Ok, I may have gone nuts, but Iā€™m going to try making bagels tonight. (Emboldened / crazed by the recent bread successesā€¦)

Anyone been down this path and have advice for me?

The SE recipe uses tangzhong (by another name), but Iā€™m not kneading or breaking someone elseā€™s FP over this.

Thinking of adapting it to the no-knead bread method (given that they have an excellent NKB recipe, Iā€™m mildly annoyed they havenā€™t yet done a bagel version).

So maybe the same recipe, shape and cold rise overnight, boil and bake in the amā€¦

Suggestions? Advice?

2 Likes

Never made bagels but wishing you the best of luck. It sounds fun!

1 Like