Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Rooibos apple bread. Food52 recipe. 3steps, crumb topping. I used granny smith apples.

6 Likes

I would leave out the crumb topping next time. The bread is nice and very moist w/out any need for a topper or more cinnamon.

6 Likes

NY times plum torte made with farmers’ market plums. Can’t wait to dig in later!

11 Likes

That plum torte has become our favorite summer treat during this quarantine. I’ve been throwing a handful of toasted slivered almonds for crunch sometimes, but just plain it is amazing.

1 Like

Oh wow, almonds sound perfect. Next time! I made it once a couple years ago. Forgot how easy it is!

It was even good with out-of-season plums in early April. Simple, but so good. A little vanilla in the batter is good, too.

3 Likes

I knew I liked you.

1 Like

My little and I just found a cooking show on Netflix called Nadiya’s Shortcuts or similar, and have watched 2 episodes. She has done some things I can’t even conceive of, but there are a few things that jumped out to try. One is a “spotted dick” soda bread, which I just plunked in the oven. Will report back on quality, but the raw dough which I was just licking off my fingers was tasty :slight_smile: It’s effectively a buttermilk biscuit with dried fruit.

Now why she would put marmalade on fish, or spaghetti-os in anything, is a different story.

1 Like

I caught her show and made the rolled egg tortilla. Great energy!

5 Likes

That was another of the things I wanted to try. I think Saregama’s done that a bunch of times on HO. There was also a good looking bananas foster, and a cardamom ice cream, and a meatloaf wellington. Just 2 episodes!

2 Likes

Here’s the soda bread - I can’t edit the original post anymore. It turned out mighty fine.

9 Likes

Looks delish @Sasha!

2 Likes

Yum. Looks delicious.

1 Like

I recommend the recipe. It came together really fast, although the dough is super sticky. I subbed the currant and orange peel for dried cherry and dried papaya, and left out the zests. I also used butter instead of vegetable suet!

3 Likes

On a day that’s too hot, our fridge is too full of eggplant thanks to our generous CSA share. So I tried my hand at an eggplant and goat cheese tart on puff pastry.

Pleased with its looks. The verdict on taste will have to wait until later.

10 Likes

Your dish looks very tasty to me @tomatotomato. Enjoy.

1 Like

Send a slice!:drooling_face:

1 Like

Wow, looks wonderful

It was really tasty! And I think the base dough would be a nice canvas for any number of sweet or savory add-ins. I can see myself doing a pesto one, caramelized onions and mushrooms, some kind of grated cheese and scallion, chocolate chip and cherry. So many ideas. So many lbs :frowning:

2 Likes

Years ago Graham Kerr did a show featuring Spotted Dick. He was drunk, there were lots of inappropriate comments & the whole thing was hilarious.

2 Likes