Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Next time more spice! But, the puffs went nicely with eggs.

Sourdough journey: week 8 and i have cracked it, so much to learn and a bit of time getting to know your own starter.

10 Likes

I’d been holding onto Dorie Greenspan’s Chocolate Birthday Cake recipe ever since it appeared in the Times Magazine, knowing that’s what I wanted for my next milestone birthday. Well, said milestone BD came yesterday, and my wife made the cake. It’s relatively easy, and is exactly what a kid would want on their birthday–just right with a big glass of milk. The buttermilk in the cake and frosting keeps it from being too sweet.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! Glad you got the cake of your choice - wishing you many more birthdays @StephanieL!

1 Like

I can feel the crunch of the crust!

1 Like

Discussion on this beautiful loaf can be read here:

1 Like

Thank you!

I succumbed to a baguette baker from amazon today…

Anyone have baguette tips?

It fits 2, I’m hoping to experiment with a regular one and a GF one this weekend…

I trust Jim :wink:

2 Likes

I like a drier dough for baguettes than I use for a boule - I find it makes shaping and slashing easier, and gives me a slightly less holey crumb (which I prefer). 62-65% hydration as opposed to 70-75% for my usual levain boule. Do you plan to use levain, poolish, or do a direct rise with commercial yeast?

2 Likes

Within this video is a baguette recipe. I’m thinking of trying it out soon.

2 Likes

Thank you! Me too!

I use yeast because we had so much of it, though we do have sourdough starter too.

Thanks for the hydration tip!

BIG FAIL!
Bravetart brownie variation with cream cheese. I did wonder why the baking time wasn’t increased by adding 8 oz of frozen cream cheese bits and so I added 4 min to the baking time. Not nearly enough time. The top was crispy and touch didn’t reveal much. A pan of $$expensive goo. I’d already turned it out - amazed that it released in one piece. Frantically I turned the oven back on, dumped the mess into another pan and put it in the oven not expecting much. Darn horrid German stove with tiny print, I pushed broil not bake. Figured that out when the kitchen filled with smoke. Not my day for baking.

Ouch! :cry:

“A pan of $$expensive goo.”

:scream: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

@Elsieb

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. Samuel Beckett

2 Likes

True. I went back and made a batch of Supernatural brownies that I’ve made a hundred times. No problems. Really needed something simple and choc for a porch visit. Feeling better😊

5 Likes

Alice Medrich’s brownies from the Food52 Genius cookbook is our family favorite now. Comes together quick, super fudgy. Small squares out of a 8x8 pan is plenty with the richness. Topped with homemade vanilla ice cream even better.

The recipe is all over the Net. I’ve had my share of disappointing baking this past year. I should photograph the failures; not just the recipes that turn out. I added chopped pecans this time.

This wknd I made a fresh batch and the gang turned them into s’mores.

7 Likes

These are my favorite brownies too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

They were birthday cake last weekend, half with walnuts half without.

2 Likes