Bahrs Landing (Highlands, NJ)

Wow…very impressed and jealous!

2 Likes

Down with the Martini if it is Gin. Can’t do Vodka.
Oysters look great. I however am a swallower rather than a chewer so prefer the smaller ones. I more like the ceremony. And def cocktail horseradish lemon over mignonette.

2 Likes

No Kumamotos at Bahrs. Barnegat’s (Raritan’s) Bay best. Or Wellfleets maybe. It’s a commitment rather than sampling.

2 Likes

I just said recently to my husband that one of the things I miss most is an oyster happy hour. Color me jealous as well.

2 Likes

You’ll be back there soon enough :cocktail:

3 Likes

Kumo’s are my personal favorite also. I don’t mind blue points but there are 2-3 on your plate that would test my limits. If I gotta take more than two chews the third is my gag reflex. Lol

2 Likes

I miss it so much I bought an oyster knife and learned to shuck my own.

5 Likes

I could eat an oyster the size of a football, one bite at a time of course. :oyster: :football:

1 Like

We went through a phase of shucking our own. They just don’t taste as good to us! LOL

Hah! There is something to said for letting someone else do the heavy lifting. I think the oysters I shuck taste just as good as the oysters someone else shucks, but I’m still not great at shucking, so my stress level gets a little high. And there’s always that fear of stabbing oneself in the hand.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what, I’ve had a good time poking some fun at this Jersey Shore staple for over 100 years. Barf’s is just one of the nicknames it has picked up by locals like me who often over look the ole’ gal at many of the other glitzier places around. Even though I had my hopes set on going to Red Horse last night a change of venue led us to Bahrs.

Had 6pm reservations and arrived a few minutes early so we sat at the bar and had some cocktails, 1 pitcher of sangria and a martini for me. I don’t know how long the bartender has been there but she welcomes you with a warmth of someone who is well established in her position. A wonderful bartender with a wonderful engaging personality. I haven’t been to Bahr’s in 20+ years and I don’t think a dam thing has changed. I sat right next to a leak in the bar I swear that leak was there in 1995 on my last visit!

Our table was ready soon enough and we were seated and greeted. Delicious biscuits were left for us and we ordered:
2 New England clam chowder (1for me) - a Brussels sprouts Cesar salad - 1 lobster bisque

The chowder was fantastic- creamy-clammy and delicious on an unfortunately dreary day it was the perfect soup. The lobster bisque got high remarks as well as the odd Cesar salad combo. I tried the salad it was good but the sprouts cut in half and served raw were a bit chewy.

The entrees were: 2 mixed seafood platters (one fried mine broiled with fried clams) 1 monkfish (aka poor man’s lobster) and 1 lobster roll (with homemade chips). Everything was great!! I loved the broiled platter with fried clam strips, yes the chewy frozen variety which are a guilty pleasure. Great tarter sauce I assume is homemade, if not it was good enough to fool me.

Sides roasted Brussels sprouts and cauliflower au’gratin which was EXCELLENT!!!

You know I remember reading @gcaggiano review here from a couple years ago and it put Bahr’s back on my radar and I’m glad it did. Nothing fancy but just serving simple fresh seafood their way for 100 + years so an idiot like me can call them Barf’s, well the jokes on me folks. Bahr’s is an oft-overlooked local place that is certainly worth a try if your in the mood for some good seafood. FYI they also had some nice sized lobsters on special up to 5lbs for $100. that’s not too shabby. I might have to give baby Perrie a try.

Oh a delicious peach tart thing for dessert!

11 Likes

Did anyone else have anything to drink?

7 Likes

Glad you enjoyed your visit. We were there Friday, with the same dreary weather.

We started with raw bar clams/oysters and shrimp. The giant pretzel, was giant and the daily special stuffies were good.

For the mains, like you the Monkfish got high marks from my daughter. Lobster roll (hot with butter) was solid. Crabcakes were tasty but have too much filler for me, I would not order them again. Fried seafood platters were good as always. No dessert as we made a stop at Nicholas on the way home.

2 Likes

That peach tart thing looks wonderful. Coincidentally, Wegman’s at 6 am was packed full of peaches.

Glad you enjoyed.

2 Likes

Almost forgot the dreary view:

3 Likes

Stopped in today for an early dinner. Hit the spot and satisfied my seafood craving. Shrimp Cocktail and “Stuffies” with Shrimp, Clams and Crab. Broiled Snapper with Crab Avocado Salsa and Broiled Fisherman Platter. All very tasty. I ate too much butter though…so good.

11 Likes

This is a place I want to get back to! I’ll wait till September at this point, the locals summer!

2 Likes

Just have to go on the off times. Patio walk in at 4 pm. Most waterfront places are shady at night so a nice warm day in the afternoon is perfect there. Hostess mentioned window tables inside were all reserved/taken.

1 Like

Forgot to mention…the spinach was very tasty. Had a bit of char/grill flavor to it that was different. Maybe they used a pan on the grill as opposed to a burner.

2 Likes

There’s such a thing as too much butter?

1 Like