Baguette help please

Not sure of water flour ratio bot the dough was quite sticky.

The denseness looks like a low hydration dough, but the third rise could have been part of the problem too. Two rises (the bulk rise and then a final rise after shaping) is more typical. Your yeast might have been out of gas by the time the third rise occurred. Hard to identify further issues without knowing the recipe.

2 Likes

Frequent poster Mariacarmen in WFD thread makes baguettes from scratch sometimes sent this link:

Check it out and give it another try?

1 Like

Always willing to try another recipe! Thanks. BUT, the pic for the recipe doesn’t look like what I’m after, I want a delicate flaky crust and a snowy white fluffy inside. At least most of my efforts have been edible:)

1 Like

That baguette recipe is wonderful. It’s been suggested to make 3 baguettes, not 4, which might get you closer to your ideal. If you’re using a baguette pan start checking at 20 minutes to see if they are done.

1 Like

I think I know which baguette you’re talking about, a bit similar to the baguette used in Vietnamese banh mi. Extremely thin crispy crust, and white fluffy interior. We have this in France. Usually it’s the one is more delicate and goes hard very quickly if left unconsumed than the traditional baguette which use flour with greater force.

Yes! Is there a name for that kind?

Not really, but you can try looking at banh mi baguette or Vietnamese baguette recipe. I think it is closer to what you are searching.

https://danangcuisine.com/banh-mi/recipe-86-banh-mi-vietnamese-baguette/

You’ve tried this?

Twice, still working on it.

Is the crust thin and crispy?

The crust crumbles when you break apart the loaf. So far, I have not nailed the interior chewiness I’d like to better master.

1 Like

How about this recipe, I saw the fluffy white interior.

I think that looks too doughy. Is that how the bread should be?

The Vietnamese baguette recipes I have seen typically include 1-2% sugar, which will definitely contribute to faster browning as well as a slightly different flavor and texture from a standard French baguette. Try this one, maybe: https://tastylittledumpling.com/vietnamese-baguette-recipe/

1 Like

They always put the bread in their toaster oven for a few minutes just before serving for the ultra crisp crust.

1 Like

NOW I want one!

1 Like

Aha. Shift your search to Vietnamese-style baguettes. Commercial bakers in Vietnam (VN) had long perfected the techniques and rice-wheat ratio to achieve the Vietnamese-style baguettes you see in VN today (shatteringly crispy thin crust and airy, fluffy on the inside).

I think Andrea Nguyen has a recipe in her Banh Mi book.

Thanks all for the input and info and links.
HO is such a great group!