Bad news in the age of Covid-19

@BoneAppetite, meant to respond earlier to thank you for sharing. I was in NOLA again in 2017, and we had plans to visit a lot of places we’d never been to before, such as Galatoire’s and CP, among others. I got sick on that trip, holed up in our hotel for a couple days, and wound up at Tulane ER in the middle of the night for about 10 hours; thank god it was a Tuesday night (actually Wed early am) instead of Friday or Saturday. Had to fly out at 4:30 next afternoon too. Not how I envisioned the trip, but hope fate gifts me the opportunity to go again.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll nudge the elephant in the room. When it comes to these type of articles. How many employers go through Everify?

1 Like

Speechless.

1 Like

I can’t answer the question but I can say there is no excuse not to. I use it for independent contractors and it is dead easy.

2 Likes

Same as @Auspicious - can’t say regarding numbers; but everyone at last job, and I did most of the hiring/on boarding. Updated I-9’s on all, with current status on work visas and the like @Miss_belle.

3 Likes

For some reason, I can’t access the Washington Post article but, from subsequent posts, I’m assuming part of the article is discussing the issue of employees who do not have the right to work in America.

There used to be a similar problem in the UK (and it still exists to some extent) but it is now a matter of law that a potential employer verify the employment status of everyone they are proposing to give a job to. Employing someone you know not to have the right to work (or reasonablky believing that to be the case), carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine. Going back 15+ years before I retired and was involved in job interviews, we had a requirement that candidates bring the evidence to interview (generally passports for Britons and EU nationals, more extensive documentation such as work permits for others). We’d take a photocopy as evidence that we acted with due diligence.

1 Like

Saw on news this AM that Sur la Table has filed for bankruptcy; this is one chain I’d hate to lose, lacking the many independent kitchen stores, from back in the day.

1 Like

This is a YouTube cooking guy I follow.
Makes things real.
:frowning:

3 Likes

Will put this here, because your post reminded me of another guy I watched on YouTube, total comedy, but is called the Rasta Gourmet. Gut bustingly funny, to me anyway, so take that FWIW…

Darrow Igus on Fridays ?

Yes, I do think that’s the one, I’ve only seen him on you tube @BoneAppetite. He never fails to make me laugh a lot. Always a good thing.

Coca-cola is discontinuing the Odwalla brand.

@Babette - yes, I heard that; have had it maybe once or twice; the e-coli outbreak of quite a few years ago , put me off the brand. Still, I know it had many fans.

I think they bounced back from that reasonably well, they started ‘flash pasteurizing’ after that iirc.

I think Odwalla was a pioneer in the juice & smoothie space, I used to drink them pretty frequently. Interesting to consider the arc of an industry. So much more juice now, you’ve got your cold pressed, frozen smoothie kits, all the Pom stuff & coconut waters, kombucha competing for the hippie beverage dollar …

1 Like

Very true @Babette, not to mention the bottled cold coffee preps, as well as teas, and all the sports drinks. Used to be sodas and juices. Water came from the tap.

Yes Odwalla seemed to recover pretty well, as you said.

1 Like

LONDON (Reuters) - Emerging evidence that the body’s immune defence against COVID-19 may be short-lived makes it even harder for vaccine developers to come up with shots fully able to protect people in future waves of infection, scientists said on Tuesday.

sigh

Dave - it’s a very tentative view from the science. So far.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, and gleaned from some others is that Covid 19 is here to stay, and will be circulating around the planet like any other cold virus. But this is worse, in that it seems to be more easily transmissible + no widespread natural or other immunity. From my unscientific, but somewhat informed opinion, we will get vaccine(s) against it sooner than later, but like the seasonal flus, it will be a moving target, with specially blended vaccines year to year, based on activity during flu seasons in our respective hemispheres, as they do currently. Prediction for what is likely. Novel Corona has mutated and will probably continue to do so. Still, biotechs are having great early successes, for both vaccines and treatments, so plenty of reason to be hopeful. As time wears on, we’ll learn more about it and adapt to it. It’s not going to adapt to us.

From my reading of scholarly journals and pre-prints, far from the first to reach that conclusion. Immunity was an assumption, an expectation, that has yet to be shown at all. Antibodies =/= long-term immunity.

It’s frightening.

1 Like

Yep, scary as hell, most especially for those of a certain age, or anyone with comorbidities. Everyone SHOULD be frightened of it, even seemingly healthy young adults. Young children should know only what they ask and are able to understand, with the least amount of fear, only concern shown by their parents, hopefully. It’s a tightrope I’m happy not to have to walk.

Parents out there with young ones - any thoughts on this? How are you all handling this with children of various ages?