Bad news in the age of Covid-19

Cape Verde action lining up. Ike was a Cape Verde hurricane that devastated Galveston/Houston in 2008 as was the 1900 storm that killed 8000 to 12,000 people.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

2 Likes

In their infinite wisdoms and dollar signs in their eyes the City of Galveston is reopening the beaches for Labor Day weekend expecting 200,000 to 500,000 visitors. As hot as it has been in SE Texas half a million seems likely. :open_mouth:

No masks on the beaches or Seawall as it’s considered exercise. Social distancing is encouraged. Right. :mask: :mask: :mask:

3 Likes

Beaches are opening up all over the US for Labor Day weekend. People will be flocking in from all over. Most of them don’t give a ***t. They’ll take the virus back to wherever they came from and cry the blues on YouTube when it happens.

2 Likes

Bad news in the age of COVID. Hmm. Well, the notorious RBG just passed, and it took McConnell an hour to publish a statement saying he will put any USSC nominees to a vote asap. So that is pretty bad news. Vile behavior even, one might say.

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I keep hoping this year is a bad dream and instead of waking up it just gets worse.

I’m alternating between verge of tears and donating to Blue candidates for Senate.

1 Like

RBG has not been herself for some time now. This is one reason I’m against SCJ being lifetime appointees. Let’s face it, they get old and it’s my understanding their clerks do most of the ground work anyway. and the SCJ takes the glory no matter what shape they’re in. Maybe it’s time for a change. Like that’ll happen,

Physically, I agree. Mentally, I’m not sure what evidence you have for that statement that she wasn’t all there. My understanding is that she was. Also, by all accounts, her half-there is more than many people’s all-there.

7 Likes

Thanks to her clerks and the people around her.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’ve clerked for a judge. I know how much the clerks do and don’t do, compared to the judges.

1 Like

A reminder: Per site rules, please no discussions on the following topics: Policies, politics, racism, disability, religion, sexual orientation, discrimination.

Those discussions have a tendency to go south quickly. Thanks for understanding.

2 Likes

I apologize. It was a bad news thread. I wasn’t aware of the other rules.

1 Like

Numbers going up in Israel, France, and Spain. UK still struggling. US in many places inching back up again.

I feel another post in the ‘what to stock up on’ thread coming and suspect I won’t be alone. Add two more months of hurricane season followed by winter storms on the East Coast (plus allergies and cold & flu) and wildfires out West and stocking up is due for its own surge. wry grin

1 Like

I’m going to get my annual Flu shot early in October because one of those three stooges medical units said earlier this summer not to get it before. It would lose it’s efficacy if gotten too early.

1 Like

We’re doing the same on advise of our regular doctor.

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-04/no-reservation-diners-are-restaurants-latest-problem-amid-covid

Interesting. Not clear that the author understands the difference between correlation and causation, but still interesting.

With no scientific basis whatsoever, it makes me wonder if people are planning to stay home (as they should <- opinion within an opinion) and cabin fever drives them out at the last minute.

Just one in a number of articles.

I’m also following several carefully crafted Google news feeds on main Google and Google scholar.

Masks may well be more important than a vaccine. Tents in parking lots are not outdoors. Outdoors is not safe. Family gatherings are dangerous. Bars and restaurants are dangerous. Wear a mask anytime you are outside your home or car. Check your car for in-cabin air filtration and change that filter.

In short STFH. Cook. Visit with friends with video chats. Starbucks lattes are not essential. Be nice to the Amazon Prime, FedEx, UPS, and USPS drivers. Some people HAVE to go out (can’t WFH) and nipping out for lunch with a friend adds to their risk.

Remember it isn’t mask or distance. It’s mask AND distance.

3 Likes

This might be bad news for some of you but good news for me. I’m going to put a jacket on for the first time in at least 6 months. It’s in the low 50’s and windy in Houston. I’m lucky I could find the thing, I only have one. Maybe the wind will blow the covid out into the Gulf.

5 Likes