Autumn Mushrooms - What are your favorites ?

Autumn Mushrooms - What are your favorites and what are your fave Mushroom Dishes ?

1. My fave way of preparing foraged and wild Boletus Eduli would be, just sauté in Spanish or Italian Evoo with a little fresh garlic (cloves), fresh parsley and a pinch of salt to taste, and Mediterranean Herbs of choice.

2. White Caps, I enjoy in salads or Sauces or Stews.

3. Níscalos called Penny Buns in English are a rusty burnt orange color, and these work well in stews.

4. Another fascinating way to use Boletus is with broken poached eggs, and a scraping of black truffles as Three Michelin Star Chef Elena Arzak has prepared for several of her menus. The Boletus are sautéed in Evoo, and then drained and patted dry. They are placed in large Martini Stemware, and then the eggs are poached, seasoned lightly with an air dried chili pepper, salt and freshly grinded black pepper and a shaving of black truffle …

4 Likes

NISCALOS … From Michalerayo, Guadalajara, Spain …

2 Likes

When I have this amount:

Btw, there’s an existing mushroom thread with photos. Take a look at that one, too.

4 Likes

Lovely mushrooms … What do you do with so many mushrooms ?

Have a nice day.

I like all types of mushrooms, dried, fresh, European, Asian… One of my favourites is the French cèpes, Porcini is Italian, how is it called in English? Cep or Penny Buns?! One of the best dish I had with cèpes in a restaurant was a fresh pasta with intense mushroom flavour, I wonder how it was made, maybe dried mushroom powder integrated in the dough?

I like a lot straw mushrooms, they are great when cooked with a chicken broth, all the juice trapped inside the mushroom when you bite! Yum!

2 Likes

Naf,

I love mushrooms especially Boletus … I love a Risotto di Funghi during late autumn !

Cep in French, Catalan & English = Porcini
Penny bun = Boletus Edulis
Níscalo in Spanish = Red pine Mushroom in English
Portobello = same in English

There maybe colloquial names in a wide variety of languages.
According to Oxford: These are standard translations.

Last year, in France there were not much porcini in the market due to a very dried summer. I wonder if this year is better. There isn’t much rain too or then there is flood in certain region.

1 Like

Naf,

Close to the Spanish French border of the Pyrenées, and the French Basque Country, there are uncountable mushrooms …

Another amazing zone is the área close to Irati, the Navarran Nature Reserve and the Lérida (Lleida) foothills of the Pyrenées.

What a pity. I know of many French Oenologists who have suffered the loss of grapevines.

Terrible plight as they are dependent on their harvest for survival …

Morels no chanterelles I admit I like hedgehogs two I don’t know most wild mushrooms that are edible I like. With all the burns we have here in northern California this year should be good year for morels.

1 Like

Dan,

Sounds wonderful !

Morels (French) are awesome.

In Northern Spain we also have " Black Trumphets" (trumpetas de muertos ) which are a divine delicacy however, one must buy them only from reliable certified licenced Foragers.

Thanks for the feedback.

Baby Boletus Blancos on sale …

1 Like

Wow, that is quite a haul. I am guessing they sell them?

How much do they get for a kilo?

1 Like

It’s somewhere in east Europe, probably Poland. I can’t remember the price but it’s so cheap in Poland! Perhaps 1/4 of the price we pay elsewhere. I think there are prices in photos I posted on the mushroom thread previously.

If they sell it to some business in France they would laugh all the way to the bank.

These Japanese Matsutake mushrooms are super aromatic and extraordinarily expensive. I ate it cooked in rice in Japan. y18000/US$170 and y23000/US$255 per punnet or box!

1 Like

There’s a variety of mushrooms growing at my (Wisconsin) cabin.
My favorite are these little beauties. I harvest a modest bunch once a year.

1 Like

What are these?

1 Like

I think it’s called Indian pipe (Monotropa uniflora). Actually not a fungus.

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/indian-pipe.aspx

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/indian-pipe-fungus.htm

http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/m/monotropa-uniflora=indian-pipe.php

2 Likes

@presento has it right. I pick one clump a year to make a tincture.