Australia Restaurant Recommendations

This is a long shot but any must try restaurants in Australia - Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne? We’ll be visiting there and seeking recommendations.

1 Like

I’d been going to Nick’s for 2 decades now. Still good when I was last there pre-pandemic:

1 Like

One thing that surprised us in Sydney was the number of fabulous Asian restaurants. For a splurge, there’s Bennelong, the restaurant in the Opera House. The setting is unforgettable, and the food worthy of the setting.

1 Like

So far, here’s what we are considering:

Sydney: Ursula’s, Ormeggio at the Spit, The Blue Door
Brisbane: Detour, Rogue Bistro, 1889 Enoteca

Any comments would be welcome!

Thanks, Bennelong is on my list. The view from the Opera House is great but my concern is it may be a bit on the ‘touristy’ side.

Thanks, will consider it!

We didn’t have that sense. Certainly not hordes. Tables well spaced, suitable for quiet conversation, service very professional.

2 Likes

Haven’t been to Sydney for ages due to the pandemic but last I was there, really enjoyed Firedoor and Aria. Firedoor uses open fire cooking and the chef spent a few years at Etxebarri. Went to Aria for a pre-theatre dinner ages ago and still remembered how good their steak was

2 Likes

Just want to follow up… went to the Sydney restaurants as stated in my Apr 2nd post. They were all good, nothing outstanding. Of the 3 we reserved, the best was Ormeggio at the Spit. Their scampi dish was excellent. Nothing stood out at Ursula’s. The Blue Door Surry Hills billed itself as a ‘sustainable’ restaurant which meant, among many things, that nothing gets wasted. So, for example, one of the bread they said was “day old bread” which tasted like it was more than a day old. Overall it was good but at $145 per person, it was quite pricey for what you’re getting. Seems there’s a fine line between being ‘sustainable’ and being cheap (i.e., not suitable for $145 dinner) that I think sometimes gets crossed.

As a wine guy, we also went to Hunter Valley which is a wine region just outside Sydney. For anyone going there, I would recommend EXP. Restaurant. Tasting menu only, very inventive dishes. Better than any of the Sydney restaurants we went to.

3 Likes