August 2021, Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

I forgot to do this last month, but I’m not making that mistake again! Here’s your post for the latest in openings and closings around the area. I don’t have much to add beyond I’ve seen that the new Italian joint Premiere on Broadway (right near Wang’s) in Somerville looks close to opening if they haven’t already. It also looks kind of terrible! (The decor is really bad, imo).

4 Likes

Mamaleh’s Delicatessen appears ready to open in Washington Sq. Brookline this week!

2 Likes

If you follow Somerville local politics at all, right now there’s also a huge kerfuffle going on because they’re hosting some benefit event for Billy Tauro, the right wing loony running for mayor.

I also don’t have high hopes from a food perspective but it’s such a huge space that it will be interesting to see what happens there.

heh, yeah I have seen some carping about that. (though I live in Medford, so I have no say in Somerville!). My main complaint though is just how u-g-l-y the black and white painted art and film celebrity interior looks to be. It’s like high school mural quality, which doesn’t bode well for the food.

I’m super curious about the stage area setup there too. It’s supposed to hold a few hundred people, which I guess is how they can hold benefits like that.

rincon limeno is opening a second location in the old china roma space on broadway in revere

3 Likes

Ugh – arrow through the heart for me, even though not quite a closure. Mayflower Poultry is moving shop (temporarily) to “Boston Meat Market, off 93” – wherever that is. No more Cambridge store; building was sold. They were my go to for Thanksgiving! And being able to lug that bird back on the red line was an annual ritual. I have no idea what I will do now this year.

Wherever this Boston meat market is, it doesn’t exactly sound public transportation friendly, and especially for lugging around 15 lb frozen birds in a cart. They were also great for eggs, duck legs, and other poultry or fowl needs. I’m really sad about this one. :sob:

4 Likes

I just came here to post this. Very sad! They’re auctioning off the awesome “Live Poultry, Fressh Killed” sign.

1 Like

That’s terrible news.

Wow, that’s a bummer. I barely even recognize it around here anymore.

The link that @passing_thru posted requires you to register. Here’s another story that doesn’t:

Oddly, the Mayflower site itself does not say anything (as of now).

To me you look the same as you always did.

1 Like

Wow, truly a bummer.

That sign is going to be hotly-contested. Hell, I even want a piece of it.

2 Likes

Which piece? “Live poultry”? Or “Fresh killed”? And where would you display it?

I thought I had bought the sign

I can sell you a cheap knockoff. The only problem is that it has a word misspelled!

1 Like

Our peace flag has been looking a little limp. The Live Poultry Fresh Killed sign wouldn’t droop at all.

5 Likes

Now that combo of peace flag + sign would certainly get one’s neighbors to take notice. :joy:

5 Likes

All @digga is sayin’ is give chicken a chance.

3 Likes

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Sticking with the theme.

1 Like