August 2021, Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

I vaguely remember that they had some merch sometime ago like T-shirts or sweatshirts. I gotta get on that.

1 Like

I live to serve (chicken).

And, knowing you, you’ll be pleased to note that they say “All of our T-Shirts are Heavy-duty”.

ETA: We have an 18+ year-old cat who has given up on cat food and will only eat things like roast chicken. I have on order for him from Star Market, as we speak, their “Signature Cafe Traditional Whole Roasted Chicken With Savory Seasonings.” He’d have had a field day with Mayflower offerings had we offered them to him.

3 Likes

If you dine in the Quincy area, happy to report that “Taipei Cuisine” on Billings Rd is fully open and running again. Pandemic aside, they had a fire earlier this year, and have been shut down since about April or so. Looks like they technically re-opened last week in July.

I even ventured in for my first in-house dining experience (gasp) with my mom and sister’s family. All was good, except their 3 cup chicken was not so good that day (chicken pieces chopped too small, and came out too dry). It was nice to not have to reheat take out or delivery, and get those dishes piping hot out of the kitchen! The restaurant was also half-full throughout our meal, so happy to see the local support coming back for these places.

6 Likes

Russo’s in Watertown is closing this fall as Tony will retire. I am bit surprised that his retirement will lead to the closure as I was expecting other would take over - huge loss for Watertown and Boston

3 Likes

Bad news indeed. Russo’s isn’t in my direct orbit but I think they also supply other establishments as a wholesaler? If I have that right, their closing would leave a bigger hole than might be obvious.

3 Likes

wow, this is big news. that place is amazing, I remember going there back before it was really a retail joint and all the vegetables were in boxes. a really giant loss.

2 Likes

Same sentiment here. I assumed a family member would carry on and run the store, but so sad to hear that it will close instead. I didn’t get their often, but I loved the few trips I took there.

2 Likes

That really is bad news and a big loss.

2 Likes

apparently the beer and wine license for the middling and woefully misnamed Thai place Spicies on Holyoke St in Harvard Square has been transferred to an entity called Boston Ramen Company. Given that there are already established Japanese ramen chains a couple blocks away on either side of this location, I’m not convinced that this is a great idea.

2 Likes

via the Ebisuya Market instagram where they apparently had a popup yesterday, it looks like this place will be called Bosso Ramen Company and is billed as a “modern Japanese Izakaya”. So hopefully they’ll have some good Japanese pub food in addition to ramen. I’m intrigued, at least, and maybe this will be an upgrade on the bland Thai joint.

5 Likes