Asparagus Season Approaches

I used to live in Washington they have the best asparagus, usually later in the season. And like @jiaozi I love sauce gribiche and also chilled covered with diced peppers and onions in a vinaigrette.

1 Like

Here is a good article from the Spokesman Review about the near demise and recovery of the Washington State asparagus industry.

2 Likes

This beurre blanc primavera is my favourite primavera pasta, and this pasta, or this sauce without the pasta, would be amazing with asparagus

4 Likes

That was very interesting. I lived in Kennewick across the highway from an asparagus farm, next to an irrigation canal. The asparagus grew wild along the canal banks, I guess from the seeds blown from the farm. I used to go out in the evening and cut thick stalks for dinner. They were so good.

1 Like

Oh, man - lucky you! Weā€™ve hobbled along for years trying to grow it in our backyard on the west side of the mountains. We get some, but never enough! When weā€™re in Eastern Washington at the right time of year, we always pick some up to bring home.

1 Like

wow, thatā€™s really cool. thank you - i didā€™t know the beurre blanc could be used in other dishes like that.

I actually donā€™t make these classical French sauces often but keep telling myself I will some day. Maybe egg and butter sauces arenā€™t as popular in the food media?

A lot of the sauces Iā€™m using currently are infused oils and mayonnaise variations (with siracha and sesame oil for spicy tuna sushi or pickles for tartar or mayo with chipotle for tacos)

1 Like

I make beurre blanc fairly often. I buy white wine with a screw cap that I keep in the fridge for my sauces and stews, since I donā€™t really drink wine.

My quickest sauce for asparagus or artichokes is Hellmanā€™s mayo mixed with fresh lemon juice. Sometimes I add some chopped basil or chopped dill.

1 Like

I should make an effort of making and using that sauce.

I wish I had a special fish for the occasion like a john dory, dover sole, or turbot but I think flounder is the only thing close at my local grocer.

Itā€™s strange that i live next to the Atlantic ocean and the super fresh seafood option seems so limited. I wonder if other countries with older civilizations and more sophisticated tastes have a broader selection?

I peel asparagus then lay it in half inch of water in a frypan. Bring to a simmer and itā€™s done in several minutes. Serve immediately or refresh in ice water.

My go-to sauce is killer but stupid easy. In a very small pan, like a butter warmer, heat creme fraiche or sour cream to a simmer. Quickly whisk in a spoon of preserved lemon, then as much butter as it will hold, which will surprise you. Serve over the hot or chilled asparagus. Be prepared to provide the sauce recipe.

7 Likes

I make Norman Russellā€™s Asparagus and Prosciutto dish from his Polpo cookbook every year when asparagus is fresh and when itā€™s not. My family loves this dish and while I do a good presentation for dinner, we normally end up eating it out of the pot with a spoon. It is SO good. So.

5 Likes

Recalled one more we like this time of year: white pizza with asparagus and oregano.

Basically a thin crust pizza with a garlic-and-oregano bechamel for sauce, topped with parmesan, mozzarella and fresh asparagus. Served with red pepper flakes and more parm.

I have to change my plans for a pan pizza this week over to this one.

1 Like

Hah! Iā€™ve tried many flavours but nothing beats plain asparagus (as in ā€œwhite asparagusā€ to most readers). Really! The unadulterated, pure, delicate taste of this vegetable is all I want.

I eat very little green asparagus, but I do like it. The green variety goes better with bolder flavours and ingredients.

We have been having snow on and off since Thursday so maybe the farmers will push back the start date again. Thatā€™s what happened last year also due to cold weather. Officially the season starts in mid April and ends on the third weekend of June.

Can hardly wait!

Iā€™m excited for you! Have missed seeing your Berlin food (when you are not too drunk to cookā€¦ haha). I hope the weather changes for the better soon. May would be great, not only the weather but also the price of asparagus. Itā€™s stupid expensive in April.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve made this asparagus hash before, with very good results. Have put it on my list for this yearā€™s bounty. Definitely put an egg on it.

1 Like

I think my two favs would be tempura battered/fried, and poked, brined, and then grilled, served with hollandaise.

1 Like

Roasted with EVOO and S&P finished with a squeeze of lemon as it comes out of the oven- any leftovers go in salads for the week or a stir fry
Dorie Greenspanā€™s asparagus, goat cheese, and tarragon tart
Ham and asparagus quiche with swiss, but I sub Edam
Asparagus stuffed chicken breast

3 Likes

So very many good asparagus dishes posted. We asparagus binge when it comes up in the garden, but thatā€™s still over a month away. I love it simply grill panned in olive oil with a bit of finishing salt, but my favourite way is cut into coins and sauteed with ramps, then cooked into a frittata. Such a short season, but thatā€™s why itā€™s so special.

2 Likes

My husbandā€™s grandparents loves asparagus. They had several plants and was looking forward to itā€¦until the pet lamb ate it all. I bought them asparagus for several weeks to make it up to them

3 Likes

Asparagus is here at our local Bay Area farmers markets. I only ear it when itā€™s in season locally, but I have a ton of it during those three or so months.

Most often, Iā€™ll roast it, usually seasoned with salt and Aleppo or urfa pepper, frequently just finishing with just a squeeze of lemon juice. If I cook it stovetop, Iā€™ll generally lay it in a single layer in a skillet with salt and 1/4-1/3 cup of water, dry vermouth, or white wine, cover, and cook at medium-medium high heat for a few minutes. By the time most of the liquidā€™s gone, the asparagus is tender.

As for using it in other dishes, I love asparagus in a frittata or omelet with feta cheese and fresh herbs, and in risotto.

Last year, I made the SE asparagus and mushroom risotto, and it was excellent. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m convinced by Kenji Lopez-Altā€™s unconventional method vs. standard risotto prep (I donā€™t mind stirring that much if Iā€™m in a risotto mindset), but his flavor fillips worked really well.

4 Likes

Lamb and asparagusā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Made asparagus soup in 15 minutes. Used boiled potato instead of cream. Veggie stock. Garlic and butter. Blended. Steamed tips and croutons on top. Small batch but all eaten. Nice color and fresh flavor.

7 Likes