"Asian Town" coming to Katy [TX]

One more place in Katy Asia Town has opened - Square Root Poké. Hate to admit it but I’ve never tried poké. Guess I should correct that.
http://www.squarerootpoke.com/

1 Like

On behalf of Jaymes:

1 Like

Thanks, Doobs. And next HO get-together we need to have a “posting pictures” tutorial! :grin:

1 Like

Methinks I’m not even going to recognize Katy next time i get out that way. It’s been a long time.

At lunch with a friend last week I was mentioning my current fascination with noodles and he mentioned having a client in Katy that he visits several times a year. When they break for lunch the guy has been taking him to a place just called Noodle House, in Katy. I’ve tried to find it but all I can find is Tiger Noodle House. He and I (and perhaps some others) are going to do some noodling one of the days; maybe we’ll head all the way out there.

I’m very eager to hear more about it. Seems like we have a new noodle house opening out here every day. Gotten impossible to keep up!

Edited to add…just looked at the menu at Tiger Noodle House & was shocked to see xiao long bao. I’ve been looking all over Houston for some. Finally found them at One Dragon. Stunned to discover there’s a restaurant right around the corner serving them! Thanks Bruce!

2 Likes

Went to Tiger Noodle House in Katy. Outstanding. Had pork xiao long bao, red chili dumplings, fried rice. They brought me an order of Taiwanese sausage on the side. I love this place. Can’t get back fast enough. Thanks, Bruce!

2 Likes

Good Golly Miss Molly. Next thing you know we’re going to be reading about foreign consulates being established in Katy!

Looks good, Jaymes. If my friend suggests a trek out that way I’ll jump right on the wagon.

Now how were the XLB??? And you’ve been to One Dragon??? I’ve had that on my list for some time but have never gotten around to going.

My California grandkids at the Santa Clara Din Tai Fung with the cooks making the xiao long bao in the background. We go there and also to Koi Palace every time I visit my son & his family in the SFO Bay area. So I’m a little jaded when it comes to judging them here.

But I will say that, although I’m thrilled to death to find any XLB at all out here in Katy, and every other thing I ate at Tiger Noodle House was pretty terrific and I plan to be a regular, the soup dumplings at One Dragon were better.

1 Like

You win, Jaymes.

2 Likes

I saw those pictures posted on eG about the Santa Clara Din Tai Fung and my jaw hit the floor. I don’t know if anybody on the SFBA board here on HO has posted any pics.

1 Like

My son works in the high-tech industry & travels often to Asia. He’s eaten at the origional Din Tai Fung in Taipei many times, as well as the locations in Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. The more common varieties - pork, chicken, vegetable - at the Santa Clara restaurant are just wonderful of course, but the thing that sends it over the top is that they offer so many varieties. Imagine crab, lobster, truffles… It’s almost too good to be in this mortal world!

Yer killin’ me here, Jaymes.

I was looking at the menu for Tiger; looks dang good.

1 Like

Now been to Tiger three times. Especially when you consider it’s in a Katy strip-mall and not the heart of Chinatown, it’s great. The Taiwanese sausage is a revelation. I’d never even heard of it before but it’s delicious. Another huge favorite dish is spicy red chile wontons. Yum. Got some in the fridge right now to heat up for lunch.

Also, Mala Sichuan Bistro is coming to Katy Asian Town & I’m really looking forward to that. Bruce, have you been there? What do you think of it?
https://www.malasichuan.com/

Wowie! This place is sounding better and better. I love spicy red chile wontons - one of the dishes I’m always looking for on menus.

I went to the original Mala Sichuan years ago, within a few days of its opening. I saw the banner hanging over the signage of the previous restaurant in that space. I wrote it up over on CH back then.

Ironically I was in the middle of a tour of Sichuan restaurants in Houston at the time and I rated Mala in the middle of the pack. It went on to become a foodie darling and has (a few years ago) been called the best Sichuan restaurant in the state! All the other restaurants except one (including those I thought were better) are gone; the one remaining has had a change of ownership and gone downhill as far as I’m concerned. But hey, don’t pay any attention to what I think, obviously :sweat_smile:.

I think Cooking Girl/Pepper Twins is better/more interesting but don’t worry about it. You’re going to be sittin’ pretty out there with both those and Tiger.

Well, if you decide to make the trek out to the 'burbs to give it a try, let me know and I’ll meet you there.

Another place in Katy Asian Town that I’m really looking forward to is ‘Phat Eatery.’ Many Katy locations are branches of other restaurants but I’ve been doing some Googling & can’t find any more Phat Eaterys anywhere. They say they’re going to specialize in Malaysian street food. I think that sounds very appealing.

1 Like

Will do.

1 Like

So, @brucesw, new restaurants opening in Asia Town include LA Hot Duck and another one offering “Chinese BBQ.” I’m familiar with Korean BBQ but not Chinese. Do you know anything about these two new options?

No, sorry. I remember I saw something else about something headed to Katy recently but can’t remember what. I’ll see if I can find it.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? Do they have a Consulate Row out there yet??? Probably will soon :smile: