Are you carrying your cookware with you?

I don’t drive which restricts what I can take when I book a cottage. But I always take a bag of coffee beans from my favourite local roaster and my coffee making travel kit. Though I have a Fellow metal filter rather than take the paper ones.

download

2 Likes

If you check a bag then a knife is definitely not a problem. Just be sure it’s in a good case.

1 Like

I’m going to stay on a lake in northern Wisconsin for a week. I bring my 10 and 12 inch cast iron, a Dutch oven (CI), two Kiwi knives, among a few other things. Also bring a rapala fillet knife for the monster fish I’m going to catch.

2 Likes

I’ve been building myself some cook kits for car camping and backpacking. Some of these pieces may eventually make it with me in some of my travels. My favorite kitpiece is a 2mm thick 12" anodized aluminum Fat Daddio’s cake pan, which I use as my frying pan. It’s light weight, easy to pack away, and should cook about as well as an average multiclad pan. Ideally I’ll be using it to cook up some fresh caught trout.

2 Likes

Good luck, and catch lots of trout! I just use a simple 10" pan.

1 Like

Sounds great, I wish you tight fishing lines, as we say in Finland. Glad to hear you are taking a Rapala with you. Is it something like this by any chance? I have one fillet made by J Marttiini under their own brand, Marttiini, who manufactures the wildly popular Rapala fillets.

These are excellent fish fillets.

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/fillet-knives/fish-n-fillet-knives/Fish+n+Fillet+Knives.html

2 Likes

I like my coffee also, just buying regular, mostly lighter roasts from the supermarkets though and had some paper filters with me. A metal filter could be handy for me also.

A good set! I was also thinking about taking the smaller Hasegawa with me actually, but decided not to this time. Had some coffee etc, but mostly we bought what we needed from the local stores then. We didn’t cook anything too fancy. I used a stainless cake spatula I found from the cabin, instead of their half melted plastic ones.

1 Like

I’m so happy to see someone posting about this Rapala knife. My Grandfather gifted me one of these when I was ten. Unfortunately it went missing, but I was lucky enough to find one on clearance for 5$ at Walmart. My Grandfather is gone now as well, so I’ve been teaching myself to fish as a way of trying to connect with him in whatever way I can. At any rate this fillet knife is fantastic, and it got me in to using Rapala’s Blue Fox Vibrax.

3 Likes

Walleye where I was. Not a banner year, but enough walleyes, bluegill and perch for some fish fries in the future. Beautiful place, though. Needed that P&Q. I did catch a mother snapping turtle that we made into a booyah.

So, now booyah is a camp tradition, and I’ll be expected to catch and butcher a snappin’ turtle every year.

I like a similar SS Aeropress filter very much, but it complicates blooping out the spent grounds.

The Aeropress makes astoundingly good coffee for what it is. Do you know… Does anyone make a bean/ground storage insert to fit inside the plunger half?

Hi Kaleo,

There are several grinders that are made to fit inside the plunger. For example the 1ZPresso Q2:

I also know you can get a little cap for the plunger so that you can use it for storage:

There’s probably also someone who has developed a separate storage vessel that fits in there, but I don’t remember coming across one.

Btw, if you like a metal filter and want to brew full immersion without having to invert the Aeropress, I like the Fellow Prismo:

Doesn’t complicate the disposal of the grounds as the metal filter fits snugly inside it.