April 2022 Cookbook of the Month - NOMINATIONS

SAME! Still waiting.

1 Like

I had a library copy but I just bought it because I’m enjoying it so much.

I’d suggest flagging your post or making one on the site discussion category to answer the question

I think there need to be a minimum number of characters in a response for the software to accept it, but I’m not sure.

Typing the name of the book plus “by (name of author)”, as @naf suggested above works!

2 Likes

SIMPLE THAI FOOD
MAMUSHKA
REAL CAJUN
The latter is meat-heavy and might seem an odd choice for me, but I have it and have cooked successfully from it, with my own adaptations.

2 Likes

SIMPLE THAI FOOD
MAMUSHKA

Thanks for putting this all together, Mel!

1 Like

Question for all.

I see some repetition of several books in the nomination, does it mean that each nomination counts as 1 vote?

Thanks.

Yes. At the end of the nomination period, the COTM coordinator tallies up the nominations, and the books with the most nominations move on to the voting round.

I see, thanks! How many books can be in the second round voting?

Knowing how the rules work is important to manipulate an election! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

LAND OF FISH AND RICE by Fuchsia Dunlop
SIMPLE THAI FOOD by Leela Punyaratabandhu
MAMUSHKA by Olia Hercules
GRAINS FOR EVERY SEASON by Joshua McFadden

1 Like

There isn’t a hard and fast rule on how many books will be in the voting. What we usually try to do is find a natural breaking point in the number of nominations a book has received. So if one book gets 7 nominations, another gets 6, and there were three books with 4 each, I’m going to just pass the top two on to voting. If one book gets 7, and two get 6, and two get 5, I’m probably going to send three books to the voting round. It gets tricky when you have a lot of books that are tied in the nominations. We just have to play it by ear sometimes. And I know you are totally joking about manipulating an election, but it has happened in past COTMs! We’ve got stories to tell about that! Generally authors going on social media and asking followers to vote for their book. We watch out for that and try to nip it in the bud.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Ouch! Should watch out for newbies in nomination and vote!

1 Like

As MelMM said, we’re pretty practiced at noticing when something’s awry, but at the same time, we are always happy when new folks genuinely want to join in the fun.

1 Like

That’s usually what tips us off. Unfamiliar names voting, and when we check their post history it show that they just signed up. And then some internet sleuthing often reveals a relationship to the author. Might be a bit difficult this month with the influx of CHers, some of whom might be changing usernames, but we’ll figure it out.

I guess if we aren’t voting for a newly release book, the chance of cheat is lower.

You’d be surprised!

OK, this starts to get exciting, that we will be involving in some spies, killing, manipulation, corruption. Didn’t expect all this! :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, we haven’t killed anyone. Yet. :wink:

1 Like

it has ALWAYS been bizarre to me that someone cares enough to vote on a rando website for a book when the stakes are just so low.

1 Like