April 2017 - Homecooking DOTM (Inaugural Edition) - CHICKEN AND RICE

Yep… I saw someone make it on tv years ago. They said it was Jeff Smith’s (Frugal Gourmet) recipe. Then I scoured the internet looking for the recipe. His recipes weren’t easy to find online at the time (he had passed away and was so disliked in his later life). But the recipe I posted is the one that comes up the most in a search. I made it that way for a while, but it’s kind of a pain. Now I do it like you and it comes out well.

1 Like

I used small French chickens to make these 2 things. Both have ginger and spring onions in the poaching liquid.

Didn’t know this one needed more time so I put it back in the soy broth for a long while. The colour got much nicer. Anyone has tips for getting the colour without destroying the skin? The skin will burst the longer it is cooked, even at extremely low temp.

4 Likes

Use dark soy sauce mixed with light soy sauce.

I did. It takes more time, half of it sitting in the marinade. I didn’t use any recipe. This time I’m following most of the instructions in this recipe (An Australian publication, “The food of China”). Marinating chicken thighs right now.

(If anyone wants to see the recipe I will make clearer photo of it.)

1 Like

Hi @Presunto -

Looks beautiful and delicious. I dig your photos.

What makes the skin burst?

I can kind of see how you tucked the legs, but did you do any tucking or trussing with the wings? It looks perfect.

If you’re still offering; I would like a better view of the recipe. It looks like a nice twist with a kick to the shoyu chix I normally make.

Thanks!

Yup, here too. You are trying to test our eyesight!

1 Like

Click on image to enlarge, then click again for full size.

2 Likes

Great @Presunto -

Looks like the distinction is the sichuan peppercorns.

Wouldn’t mind getting a better look at that Red-Cooked Chicken recipe too :wink:. No pressure: today, tomorrow… or never?

Thanks!

No problem. Tomorrow. It’s past 9pm now, I need natural light to make the photo.

1 Like

No rush at all. Pleasant dreams.

Red cooked chicken recipe for everyone.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll post pictures.

Ridiculously easy to make. Original recipe uses cucumber but here I have 3 different versions. They all taste different. I also use Sichuan peppercorns in oil in the ones with cucumber and asparagus. The red version has Sichuan chillies in oil, the most common brand, red label with a woman’s portrait on it. Pretty sure I had it in China but can’t remember where exactly.

Basic recipe here. Gonna make it again in the summer to eat with mung bean noodles.

I know the month is coming to an end but I shall continue making more chicken dishes. However, they have to wait till after the first week of May when I return from a short week away.

5 Likes

I’d posted earlier in this thread what I’d done with leftover chicken and fresh rice.
I thought I’d bookend it with my shot yesterday at doing something with fresh
chicken and leftover rice:

CRISP-SKINNED CHICKEN, VEGETABLES AND LEFTOVER RICE

1. Spread the following on a small roasting pan lined with parchment paper:
    a) a peeled onion cut into 8 pieces,
    b) 4 peeled garlic cloves,
    c) one small carrot cut into chunks,
    d) 8 whole, small, new potatoes (or a larger one cut up),
    e) a bay leaf.
  2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (cayenne + black).
  3. Massage salt-pepper mix all over 4 chicken thighs (bone-in and skin-on).
  4. Place chicken on vegetables, cover and let rest for 20–30 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile pre-heat small oven (I used a good toaster oven) to 450 deg,
    using “convection roast” if possible.
  6. Place roasting pan (uncovered now) in oven.
  7. After 15 minutes rotate pan and mix the vegetables with the rendered
    chicken fat.
  8. Rotate pan again after another 8–10 minutes and move and turn veg
    as needed to make sure there’s no burning going on.
  9. After about 30–35 minutes (total cooking time), pour out some of the
    rendered fat, throw in 4 finely chopped scallions and about 2/3 cup of
    warmed left-over rice, and stir to mix rice, scallions and veg with chicken
    fat that’s left. Leave chicken skin side up.
  10. Broil till chicken skin crisps and browns.
  11. Place one serving on a dish and take a picture:

5 Likes

Yum, chicken fat and rice.

1 Like

Loosely based on a Portuguese soup but I didn’t have any mint/coriander and lemon juice, used parsley and lime instead. Tasted almost the same :wink:

In just a few minutes time the rice became so much bigger because of the warm broth.

3 Likes

I roasted a chicken, Zuni Cafe style. Instead of making the bread salad, I added some leftover Japanese rice to the pan and let that soak up the juices. It was very good.

6 Likes

How long did you roast for and at what temp? Did the rice not burn? Did it develop a crust at the bottom?

These 2 weeks, weather going back to winter, freezing cold… Bad for the young shoots and new growth. We are trying to keep ourself warm, so here you go Poule au Pot of Henri IV. Normally this dish is a winter hen stew. I decide to try this recipe because one of the ingredient is rice.

I guess more of you already know the story how this hen stew was the dish of every Sunday. It was my first time making it, and it was also our first time eating it. Of course, we have tasted the ready made poule au pot chicken soup from supermarket, but never the a whole hen in a pot. I have used the following recipe.

First of all, I cooked the stuffing for the chicken, including, pork, chicken liver, bread crumb and chopped parsley,

The water was heated up with vegetables like leek, garlic, radish, carrot, celery and bouquet garni.

The chicken was being stuffed and off to the pot. Cook the whole thing about 1.5 hour.

For the last 20 minutes, I took some cooking soup from the chicken pot and use it to cook the rice with mushroom. I cooked it in the oven.

The remaing facie now became meatballs.

The mushroom rice goes well with the chicken which is quite tender.

The soup is a bit oily, but it was good.

7 Likes

@Presunto

Like your bang bang chicken, I never cook it. I saw in some recipes after the chicken being cooked, use ice and cold water to stop the cooking. I wondered if this step will make the chicken more “elastic” or crunchy texture. I really like the bang bang part!