April 2017 - Homecooking DOTM (Inaugural Edition) - CHICKEN AND RICE

Very nice recipe. I’m assuming you poured the simmering carcass broth thru a strainer and used only the liquid for cooking rice?

Thanks. Yes, you assume correctly.

1 Like

That looks beautiful! What a lovely sauce. And the bowl also. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! You will find the bowl in most Indian shops. They come in different sizes but mine is rather small.

1 Like

I attempted Spanish arroz con pollo for the first time. The chicken came out beautifully cooked, the flavors were lovely and subtle, though I did add a few squeezes of lemon and some flaky salt to bring out the flavors at the end.

Unfortunately, I used aborino rice, as I couldn’t find bomba or another short grain rice, so it came out a little gummier than I would have liked. Also, I sliced the olives a bit thick.

Despite that, it was very popular with the boy and his little teenage friends. They chowed it down during their Friday night video game battle. :slight_smile:

I used this recipe:

8 Likes

An article on Basque food in the current issue of Saveur includes a Chicken Basquaise recipe.

My parents always want halal chicken cart lunch when they come to visit! There’s quite a debate about whose is best and grumbling about the downhill slide of the 53rd/6th ave guys. Whatever.
Anyways, back home they make the serious eats recipe often but skip the pita

2 Likes

@Bookwich, perhaps reducing the amount of water would help to minimise the gumminess?

I made a few things…

To avoid burnt garlic when grilling what I do is brown it with enough oil that’s going to be used for brushing. Let cool completely first. All the rices have onions and garlic fried in Mangalitsa fat.

Seasoning for the chicken: Scotch bonnet chillis and paprika powder in OO. For the rice: Turkish red pepper paste, spicy kind.

Chicken thighs with skin on. I removed the bone, added kebab spice mix, then rolled it up. Grated turmeric in OO in the rice.

Greek oregano and chilli flakes inside. Forgot to make a photo from above but the rice had chopped up seaweed and parsley.

“Montreal steak seasoning”

7 Likes

I usually use these bomba rice:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXR8E1Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

For dinner tonight, a couple of small b/s chicken breasts were seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried thyme, quickly pan-seared, and then removed so I could whisk in some white wine and honey-mustard, then about 2 Tbsp. of heavy cream, then added the chicken breasts back in to finish cooking.

Served over basmati rice, with roasted asparagus topped with lemon zest and toasted pine nuts. And, as anyone on the WFD thread can expect, there was wine alongside as the final “side dish”. :wink:

4 Likes

I forgot to include the dip, but this was Cantonese poached chicken with a scallion soy sauce dip, with brown rice/ quinoa on the side.

4 Likes

I think it’s called “white cut chicken”, correct? One of my favourite chicken dishes. This one is stupid easy to make. I plan on making “white cut” chicken next.

Hubby requested chicken & rice for supper & this is me cleaning out the pantry/'fridge. BLSL thighs seared in pan, added chopped onion, celery, mushrooms, combination wild/white rice & chicken stock. It’s monotone brown but tastes really good. It was also ready in 45 minutes.

2 Likes

Yes. White cut chicken. Heritage chicken, i.e. those that has less meat, usually yields better results. I boiled a 3 lb chicken for 20 minutes, that’s it. Then threw all the bones/ skins after eating the meat into the water and saved the stock for myself.

Or make the ginger scallion dip. If done well, it can be spectacular. A few years ago I had such a dish at a very good restaurant. It was so good that I still remember it today. I think they used chicken oil with the ginger and good scallion.

1 Like

CARAMELIZED ONION CHICKEN & RICE (An almost one-pot-dish)

1. Get a good toaster oven (I used a Breville); preheat it to 450.
  2. Meanwhile line a roasting pan with parchment paper.
  3. Put a tablespoon or two of olive oil on the paper, a thinly sliced onion, 4 peeled garlic
    cloves and four chicken drumsticks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (over-spice,
    rather than under-), and mix with your hands to coat chicken.
  4. Roast for 35 minutes.
  5. Rotate roasting pan at 10ish minute intervals and stir onions and garlic to prevent
    burning (move outside bits in and inside out). Onions will brown and blacken rapidly
    at the end.
  6. Meanwhile rinse and soak half a cup of rice (I used a very long grain basmati).
  7. When the chicken is done, remove it from the roasting pan, and scrape everything
    else off the parchment paper into the drained rice. Discard anything that’s too burnt.
  8. Place rice with browned onions on high heat and stir gently to coat the rice
    with all the good brown stuff.
  9. Add water to your satisfaction, salt to taste, a bay leaf (I use 2/3 cup, but you may need
    more for non-basmati), bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to a low simmer till done.
    (Basmati takes 5–7 minutes.)
  10. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
    11 ) Add reserved chicken legs, stir gently, cover and let sit for another 10 minutes.

Mod note: numbering order is corrected.

8 Likes

My numbering above got messed up, and it seems to be too late to edit. Sorry!

Is the rice kinda sweet from the caramelized onion?

Slightly sweet, but it’s offset by the pepper (I used cayenne and black) if you’re generous with it.
The roasted garlic is sweet too, but it ends up getting mashed into the rice when you stir, and
the net result is a roasted-garlicky perfume.

Thanks, mod.

KHAO MAN GAI

Made an approximation of khao man gai. Deboned a chicken leg and removed fat and skin. Cut up skin and fried with fat until crispy in a pan. Removed skin, toasted medium grain rice in rendered fat for a few minutes. Put rice and fat in rice cooker, added water, a minced clove of garlic, and a spoonful of chicken bouillon paste. Mixed and started rice cooker. Cooked chicken leg sous vide at 74C for about an hour. Sliced and served with rice, cracklings, sliced cucumber, and chicken broth on the side.

Used the sauce recipe from this recipe, minus the cilantro roots because I had forgotten to buy cilantro:

8 Likes