Appliance Hell

My only advice is… …pour a second one.

4 Likes

I thought it was just me.

2 Likes

Wise advice, counselor.

On a bright note, somewhat, the repair guy is coming tomorrow morning. I just called this morning. They’re closed, of course, on Sunday.

2 Likes

Nope. They are, to appliances, like Cooks Illustrated is to cookware (IMO)

4 Likes

UPDATE:

The culprit causing the loud rattling noise wasn’t the induction structure - it was a long bolt that the microwave installers managed to drop down the range’s back vent during the microwave uninstall/new install. Since it was the same appliance company and service people - no charge. Guy pulled out the stove, took off the vent cover,peered in with a light, and retrieved the (big!) screw with a magnetic screwdriver.

21 Likes

Sounds like you need to pour another large adult beverage to celebrate such a simple fix.

5 Likes

YES!!
Perhaps something sparkling …

ETA: I had already picked out some new stoves, just in case …

4 Likes

I saw a commercial the other day for one machine that apparently washes and dries! :open_mouth:

Dear God, those aren’t new, although Bosch’s is. . I has a combo washer/dryer in a very strange (but new) apartment I rented with a loft bedroom - in 1972. The wash/dry for one cycle was about 3 hours. Still - it beat going to the laundromat! I was thrilled.

Bosch doesn’t even make vented dryers anymore. Their whole washer, dryer and combo line is now directed to retro installs on apartments/condos that don’t have the infrastructure for traditional dryers. The dryers have heat pumps and filters in them to do the drying. As a matter of fact, when the guys came to clean my dryer vent (a yearly condo-pa-looza) they looked at “Bosch” and said, “you don’t have a vent …”. I assured them I did; mine was an old machine. A cousin of mine who does real estate management says they are very finicky. He hates to deal with them. However - if that’s what you have to use in order to install w/d’s then you deal with it.

Warning. Reading this thread may infect your appliances. Our fridge fifteen year old microwave just died. Now we are looking for a small but not miniature countertop microwave. The corpse was 1.3 cf.

8 Likes

Exiting right now. Come to think of it, our gas oven starter died a few days before Thanksgiving. Fortunately, it was a surprisingly easy and cheap fix that B did by himself. So maybe I am now immune.

1 Like

So sorry.

My 1905 Monarch’s in good shape and available. Comes with the water jacket, all the coal stuff and stovetop oven. Leaning pretty hard on the '48 GE Airliner these days.

Breville #3 is hanging in there… You should, too.

The aptly-named ‘stove bolt’.

Good news.

1 Like

A while back there was a thread about kitchen scales. I said something complementary about mine, within a week or two mine died. Funny how things like that happen.

4 Likes

My new Breville is basically my oven. I use the stove one to store baking pans and roasters.

If the bolt were an actual stove bolt, I’d have to hire a detective, not a repair person …:eyes:

1 Like

We have mostly not missed the lack of a fullsize oven at the beach house. The big Breville does most oven-y things well.

Thanksgiving turkey had to be done in the gas grill, though.

1 Like

That’s kinda sad. I enjoy the people on it when I catch the show, once they got rid of whatsisname.

3 Likes

Maybe you’ve been “vaccinated”?

I’m reading this thread while inside a Faraday cage with just a wired internet connection. And none of my appliances know how to talk to the router, so I hope they’ll be safe.

Back to your oven - if it was the igniter, I’d say go ahead and buy a backup to keep in the pantry. The replacements seem to crack pretty frequently. I’m pretty sure I’m on my 4th igniter.

The first replacement was really tough, trying to reach in past the oven door and playing Contortionist Appliance Repair Dude. Then on the next I had a “DOH!” moment and remembered that the oven door easily slides out of its tracks. Dummy!

3 Likes

He has long since risen from the dead …

1 Like

I’m ready… bring it on!! I’m waiting for my third appliance to stop working.
Bad things happen in 3’s… first was the fridge, then the washer… so I’m due for one more before the end of the year.