Anyone Tried Frieling's Black Cube?

So, wake up, Sleepyheads (11 days without a post in Cookware?). Has anyone here tried the SS-PTFE matrix pan that Frieling sells as “Black Cube”?

I like the idea of the hard SS lattice that protrudes slightly above the soft PTFE; it appears that these pans will play well with metal utensils. But I wonder if (a) they are as nonstick as “regular” PTFE pans, and (b) the nonstickiness will last any longer (or be thermally degraded just like “regular”).

I’ve visited with several sales types who claim to have Black Cube pans at home, and they say they like them, but none who have had them long enough to judge after months of regular use.

I also don’t know if these pans have anything else going for them, like thick conductive cores.

Who can tell me?

Aloha,
Kaleo

Looks like a variation on the raised dimple theme. Seems like it’s the raised s/s honeycomb dimples that would make the most contact with the food. The nonstick parts are recessed.
It may work, but I doubt it would last much longer than a regular PTFE pan.

I take your point–about thermal degradation. However, the SS matrix means there will be practically no mechanical wear.

Have you felt it? The matrix is just barely raised (i.e., you can feel it with a fingernail, and that’s about it).

So, one of problems non-stick manufacturers have is getting such a non-stick substance to stick to the base material. I can’t help but think that all those islands of PTFE have edges that could lift off. Time will tell. On the other hand I suppose this steel matrix can develop more of a fond?

I’m sort of interested in how it is made.

I dunno. Those are reasons I asked. Someone needs to take a bullet for the team…

Not sure about frielings black cube, but I know I’ve tried a Carling’s Black Label:

I’ve been using them for about 3 years now and I’m very happy with them. I use them in a cooking school so they’re really holding up well, and still nonstick. They seer and caramelize beautifully.

Thanks. This is useful. I wish we could turn the clock forward to 5 years of use to judge longevity. Report back?

Three years of daily use is probably enough to know. They’re not horribly expensive.
I do need something that sears well, and in which the oil doesn’t pool in one part of the pan.

1 Like