Anyone know a great recipe for pork butt--maybe Mexican green chili? Or Asian?

I’ve been wanting to try Turkish oregano and found this, comparing different types.

2 Likes

In Chowhound’s good ol’ days, many people raved over what was called Will Owens’ pork roast. I never made it, nor did I search intensively for the link, but here’s something I just found that was presented as a version of it. (I THINK the original was done low and slow in the oven - 250°F, an hour per pound.) The liquid smoke plus kosher salt and a rest in the fridge are definitely key to the WO dish.

"Trim excess fat from outside of Boston Butt Roast
stuff about half head of garlic into slits in meat
put 3-4 tsp Liquid Smoke on outside
sprinkle with all the black & crushed red pepper, salt, onion & garlic powder you can stand
cook in crock pot/slow cooker at least 6 hours

I cook it till it falls apart when touched with a fork. Use two forks to pull it from the crock pot and shred it.

Ideally you season a day ahead, tightly wrap & refrigerate before cooking, but it’s darn good if you season it just before cooking."

4 Likes

Someone asked about where his girlfriend is in Mexico. She’s in Playa del Carmen, kind of Mexico’s Riviera, in the state Quintana Roo.

Thanks for all the tips so far!

1 Like

@BadaBing; Any updates?

I’m working on some pork belly.

Hangover Curing Pork Belly

4 Likes

this has been my go-to for carnitas. it says pork shoulder but i flip-flop between that and pork butt. i also play with the amounts of all the ingredients:

1.5 lbs. pork shoulder cut into large pieces
1/4 - 1/2 cup lard/bacon fat
4-6 garlic cloves
1/2 thinly sliced onion (or a little more)
half an orange
one lime cut in half
one habanero cut in half (or more) (or some other chile if you don’t like heat)
bay leaf
2 large pinches of mexi oregano
1 tsp. brown sugar
1-1/2 tsps. salt
1-1/5 cups water or beer

put everything in a pot, boil, turn down heat to vigorous simmer

cook over medium heat for 1.5 to 2.0 hours, stirring, until all liquid is gone and only fat remains. you may need to take the lid off at some point so the water all dissipates.

take out orange, lime, bay leaf

I often stop here, after shredding, but sometimes go on to this:

preheat oven to 375. Transfer the pork shoulder to a large baking sheet, reserving the cooking liquid. Use two forks to shred the meat. Drizzle with a small amount of the reserved cooking liquid and lightly season with salt. Bake the pork in the preheated oven until browned, about 15-20 minutes, drizzling more of the cooking liquid on the meat every 5 minutes or so, tossing and turning the meat.

5 Likes

Love it .

2 Likes

3 Likes