Anyone have experience using Choice Brand knives?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/choice-knives.html

I have an 8-inch Chefs Knife, a 10-inch Cimeter, and a paring knife in my basket from webrestaurant.com

Do not really want to pull the trigger on my purchase without some comments & opinions from HO contributors. Thanks for guidance.

41 views of this post, no replies. So, I went ahead and ordered the knives, a sharpening rod and a 17 slot carrying case. Less than $60 tax included. I’m a bit stoked.

2 Likes

Apparently you are the pioneer among us in trying this line of knives. I hope that you report back on your experience so we can all learn something new along with you!

For the record, my workhorse kitchen knives are old Chicago Cutlery that we purchased way back in the day before my husband and I got married. Knives are still going strong. So are we, thank goodness.

2 Likes

This I will do. :plate_with_cutlery:

1 Like

I have no experience.

1 Like

So know the “learning” begins…

Less than four days from order to delivery.

1 Like

Good to hear. Let us know how they compare to your other knives.

1 Like

Finally got a chance to break out one of the knives, the 8-inch Chefs. It’s huge! But it is very comfortable in my hand, and in use. Used it tonight to cut leftover T-Bone steak filets for hot beef sandwiches. Cutting against the grain was effortless. This is a very sharp blade right out of the package. Honestly, I can see myself ordering more Choice Brand products…

2 Likes

I’d say keep using them hard for a while before you order more. A good start with a new knife is a good sign, but how long does that edge last? And (maybe even more importantly) what happens when you sharpen it? I remember reading about one manufacturer that seemed to have found a certain magical “sweet spot” where their edges were soft enough to deform but still brittle enough to chip.

Yeah, read that last sentence again, let it sink in. :thinking::grin:

I hasten to add that I know it wasn’t THIS manufacturer they were talking about, because today is the first time I’ve heard of this brand. It’s just that almost any knife can be made sharp, but not every knife is good to work with in the long term.

3 Likes

Thank you, @DavidPF for the guidance. Don’t know if I’m using them “hard”. I am using them nearly every day, tho.

@RedJim - I like the fact they are certified NSF, and it does look sharp. A good hand feel and balance important too. Hope you continue to enjoy. Do let us know how the edge holds.

1 Like

What I ought to have said is something more like “having them in your regular everyday use (regardless of what that really turns out to mean) for a significant amount of time”. Finding out if they continue to perform as well as you hoped, especially discovering how often they need work done on them (sharpening or whatever else), and seeing if that work gets them back as good as new. A knife that holds a sharpening well, not quickly losing its sharpness afterwards, is a very helpful thing to have. And there’s a name for those knives that won’t stay sharp - it’s that special word you hear the owners muttering under their breath, over and over, as they keep trying to re-sharpen it again. :upside_down_face:

All of this depends very much on how the knives get handled, what they’re used for, and how much use they actually get. The type of knife that’s best in a busy restaurant (e.g. being used all day, borrowed by people who aren’t careful, and beaten against steel containers when being washed) is not the same as in someone’s home; and what’s best in a home with two or three expert cooks who love sushi is very different from what’s best for a random hack like me.

In the end, I think what everyone wants from a knife is: 1. It does the jobs I want it to do, in the way I want them done. 2. It permanently keeps on doing those jobs, when it’s taken care of. 3. It’s not too hard for me to take care of, or I don’t mind paying a skilled person to take care of it. 4. I like the knife.

I think everyone easily agrees it’s those four things; it’s just that the definitions of those four things are so different for each person that makes things interesting.

1 Like

I appreciate the simple logic you’ve summed up in this, David.

Thank you, but I just realized I missed something important that fits somewhere around point number two-and-a-half. :slightly_smiling_face: I guess it’s too easy to be a knife snob, even for a determined non-snob like me.

Economics and human nature require that not all knives are really going to get taken care of. Especially serrated knives, which are helpful for the right jobs but require serious skill and proper tools to sharpen, if it’s even practical to do so. If a person can’t or won’t take care of a certain knife, then they should buy cheap and buy often - and hopefully find some way for the worn knives to not be 100% wasted after they don’t work right anymore.

2 Likes

Holy crap. ha ha ha.

I agree with DavidPF. It sounds like you bought a good winner knife. It has been 2 months now, so if you want… you can sharpen it yourself and see how it sharpened (I cannot remember if you like to sharpen your own knives or give them to professional).
There are knives which I didn’t like in the beginning, but later fell in love, and there are knives which I really liked in the beginning, but lost some interests over time .

By the way, have you ever used Dexter Russell or Victorinox knives? They are the most widely used professional kitchen knives. If you have, how do you think your Choice compares to either one of them?

1 Like

The Choice knives in our heavy rotation are the 10-inch and the six inch Chefs Knives. Son #1 was pressed into duty to carve the TDay turkey (his first experience doing so, even though he has some years of experience working in retail kitchens). Wish I had taken a few photos.

He was using the six inch knife. Made the comment: “This blades gliding through meat.” The slices he made were very uniform, for the most part, and looked terrific on the platter.

The knives–including the paring knives are still holding a nice edge.

We’ve been on a celery, carrot, potato and onion eating “binge” for a month or so. The only slicing problem I’ve encountered with the Chef knives is cutting through large sweet white onions and large red onions; those about four inches in diameter. We are still treating the knives with care, cleaning them immediately after use and keeping them separate from other kitchen tools.

That kind of “taking care” (preventing damage through good storage and proper handling) is a big part of helping a sharp knife stay sharp as long as possible. It doesn’t really tell you much about the knife, but it can help you decide what kind of knives to own. Some knives are made to stand up to rough use; others are not.

NOTE: The following sweeping generalizations can be false and unfair when applied to particular examples, and are only meant to give a rough idea.

Knives made of very soft steel are crap, obviously. You can sometimes sharpen them easily, but they’ll be dead dull again by Friday.

But the ones made of extra-hard steel, while they can be screaming-sharp and a joy to use, also run the risk of being more brittle and therefore more subject to catastrophic damage if whacked or torqued.

Your new knives appear to be aimed at the “hard enough but not too hard” category - hard enough to stay sharp, but with enough “give” that if something bad happens they are expected to (as the old ad for watches said) “take a licking and keep on ticking”. (Not that anyone could claim they’re indestructible, but they’re supposed to be designed to fail gracefully if they hit a ham bone or take a fall, and be able to be re-sharpened after damage, rather than cracking in half.)

Those super-hard super-sharp (and most often expensive) knives are currently nowhere to be found in my house. I don’t have a sign posted in the kitchen saying “This is why we can’t have nice things!” - but I should. :grin:

2 Likes

I remember reading about one manufacturer that seemed to have found a certain magical “sweet spot” where their edges were soft enough to deform but still brittle enough to chip.

Would you share the brand name with us? Or perhaps a word or phrase that rhymes with the name?

No :slight_smile:
It was a major restaurant supply company. They may have fixed the problem since then.