Any new ideas for Italian sausage*?

Any new ideas for Italian sausage?

We do prefer hot sausage since it has more flavor.

Roasted or grilled -check
Sausage w|onions and peppers- check
Pizza - check
Calzone - check
Lidia’s sausage with grapes and wine but I’ve since added peppers and onions to the mix.

Gnocchi with sausage. sage, browned butter and heavy cream.

Oriecchitte with sausage/spinach/ chicken broth and Romano to thicken.

Quiche with sausage and provolone.

Have I run its course or what?

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Create TV:

I’m embarrassed now. Oh well. :blush:

I’m not sure where to post - here or your other thread where you list some of your other ideas.

I love sausage with

• broccoli rabe with sausage

• sausage with beans (cannelloni, navy, etc)

• in soups

• tossed into baked rice dishes (if you’re tired of pasta)

In stuffed mushrooms

3 Likes
  • add to lentil soup
  • remove casing and use for stuffed peppers
  • wrap in pizza dough with sauce and veg for sausage rolls
  • use in baked ziti or other baked pasta dishes
2 Likes

Cut sausage into coins, crisp in oven and serve with your favorite mustard.

1 Like

Italian Sausage Sub

I like to remove the casings, crumble and pan fry.
Remove from pan when cooked through and then saute thinly sliced onions and sweet peppers.
When done, split a hoagie roll and on the bottom half add sausage, peppers and onions and a couple of spoonfuls of red tomato sauce.
On the top half a couple of slices of Provolone or Mozz.
Briefly place under a broiler to melt the cheese and enjoy with a pepperoncini or two on the side.

2 Likes

For a quick dinner I like to cut the sausage into chunks and roast in the oven with green beans. So easy!

I also like to take it out of the casings and stuff it into mini bell peppers and bake in the oven.

2 Likes

Depending the definition of Italian sausage.

Mortadella is best as thinly sliced cold cuts in sandwiches.

1 Like

Just as a side note - I don’t think a pork product ever “runs its course”! :smiley: It can always add a little something.

I’m also adding:

• using it in meatballs. You can sub out the ground pork with Italian sausage - in a beef/veal/pork blended meatball.

• Even added (out of casing and broken up) into a long simmered tomato sauce.

• You mentioned quiche, but also its cousin the frittata. And if you haven’t thrown some leftover pasta into your frittata - always a good way to use leftover pasta (I usually do this with a spaghetti type noodle but have seen it done with other shapes as well).

• Cooked, broken up without casing - mixed with ricotta as a ravioli filling

• Baked ziti was mentioned - add it to lasagna too

• mixed (cooked/no casing/broken up) while still hot with goat cheese for an appetizer spread

3 Likes

I clicked the link Create TV, but goes back to this thread, is it supposed to go somewhere? Thanks.

It used to - they’ve been consolidated into this one thread . . . .

I just made meatloaf last night with half ground beef and half Italian sausage - excellent!

3 Likes

I believe Italian Sausage in the USA means a specific spice blend in either a casing or loose.
That’s an interesting question though.
I wonder what they call it in Italy?

2 Likes

Excellent point from you both - yes, fresh pork sausage, ground pork with spices, mainly fennel, sometimes “hot” with chili flakes -

from Wiki and pretty accurate from a US standpoint.

In North America, Italian sausage ( salsiccia [salˈsittʃa] in Italian) most often refers to a style of pork sausage . The sausage is often noted for being seasoned with fennel as the primary seasoning. In Italy, however, a wide variety of sausages are made, many of which are quite different from the product commonly known as ‘Italian sausage’ in North America.

3 Likes

Ah thanks, I understand better.
I checked wikipedia, it looks like a certain French sausage too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

For anyone else looking for a meatless option Field Roast italian sausage (not hot) is excellent, nice fennel and spices blend to it. I think omnis would like it better incorporated into a dish vs served as is

2 Likes

Agree! Very nice mild flavor, good texture. Not sure I would care for it on its own as a sandwich though.

2 Likes

Don’t tell my dad that lentil soup i made a big batch of and stuck in the freezer had chopped up field roast and not “real” sausage :wink: he sluped it up and raved yet wouldn’t be caught dead taking more than a nanobite of any faux meat (enough of a bite to declare it “not nearly as good”)

4 Likes

Field Roast is a Seattle based company and Costco’s in our area frequently have it - it would be located in the refrigerated deli section. Not sure if they distribute nationally but it might be worth a look.
Our product development team from a former company took a tour of their production facilities and were all very impressed. I was pleasantly surprised and amazed with both taste & texture of their sausages. Like Meatn3 I would prefer it in soups or on pizza rather than eat it whole or on a bun.

3 Likes

Field Roast has had East coast distribution for over 10 years! Initially I only saw their Celebration Roast. They have some great products! I’m omni and I choose their sausages as an ingredient with frequency because I like the flavor and texture.

1 Like