Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

Anyone have a good gift suggestion for jam makers? I got a thermapen, which may not be the best candy thermometer, but what else? I have seen some fancy copper jam kettles, but maybe someone can tell me a “mailing jam pans”.

Maslin jam pans.

Unlimited counter space.

Self-cleaning stovetop.

A climate-controlled pest-proof 100-lb-capacity sugar container that conveniently dispenses precise amounts wherever needed.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh… I forgot one:
A highly durable pressure cooker that exactly fits the number and size of jars you intend to use, from 1 x 1 pt to 144 x 2 qt, works easily on any stove, weighs 2 pounds, and folds for storage to the size of a large coffee mug.

3 Likes

Avery makes labels sized for the lid and for the side of canning jars. Microsoft Word has templates for printing on the labels.

2 Likes

Jar lifters, regular and wide mouth canning funnels, and labels as @Auspicious mentioned would make great stocking stuffer gifts @shrinkrap. Some decorative rings and seals might be nice too.

3 Likes

These are great ideas IMO because so often they get put away for long periods and then seem to disappear by accident. Everybody knows they had them at some point, but few can prove it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is so true @DavidPF! It’s kind of an adventure into the unknown, each and every canning season.

Another useful idea might be a canning or jams and preserves cookbook.

1 Like

Not a gift per se, but swaps are great fun. Swap jams for pickles, brownies for banana bread, that sort of thing. A little organization challenge in COVID but something could be worked out.

2 Likes

Thats a GREAT idea!

Visions of sugar plums!

1 Like

A double batch of pepper jelly for gifting, and restocking the pantry. Used red, green and orange bell peppers, jalapeños, Serrano and habanero chilis for the heat and flavor. Made yesterday, but soaking in their hot tub today for processing.

2 Likes

I’m going to try some sample jars this time.

@Lambchop, I can’t find your pepper jelly recipe! I think you call it something else. Maybe relish?

8C peppers
4C sugar
1 1/4C cider vinegar
1 1/2 paks SureJel Lite

Cook the first 3 ingredients till everything is soft. Add pectin & boil 1 minutes. Pour into hot, clean jars & process at a full boil for 10 mins (pints). Works for any combination of peppers.

1 Like

@shrinkrap - I’m sorry, I did see this inquiry, and then forgot where I’d seen it. Yes, it’s called pepper relish. I’m happy to re-send if you still need it.

1 Like

I think I’ve got it now, but that would be appreciated, just in case.

In the meantime, here is my apricot and aji amarillo juice and jelly. I think at least one jar is from @Lambchop!

The jelly did not gel like I wanted and I think my pectin was too old. I can’t believe it is almost two years old! I plan to try again with some fresh “sure gel”.

1 Like

I’ll post the recipe tomorrow. I’ve never had a problem using older pectin, maybe just lucky? It may be that your jelly didn’t reach the set point? This is just speculation, as I’ve had some missteps over the years, but it rarely happens anymore. The color is beautiful and I’m sure the flavor is amazing though!

1 Like

I was using about 25 grams “dutch” low sugar pectin (use by Fall 2020), with about 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cup juice, boiled one minute.

I haven’t used that type of pectin, but I have good results with Sure Jell Light. I also reduce the sugar more than it says to; your ratios seem ok to me, and the boiling time as well. What I have done in these cases sometimes is to pour the product back in a pot and bring to a boil, giving it some extra time. Typically, however, it just remains as syrup for eating or cooking with.

1 Like

I have lots of blackcurrants (right now! I have a quart in the fridge and around a bushel that haven’t been picked), and this is the freezer jam I make with them.

2 Likes