Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

If you’re interested in sour cherries when they’re out of season, various Wholesale Club locations in Ontario carry them in their freezer section.

1 Like

Wooo hoooooo!

1 Like

Wah-lah.

Flavor Grenade pluots “jam-that-looks-like-a-peeserve”. These pluots are so crispy and they do not break down!

4 Likes

I saw those at Food Basics last week and didn’t pick any up. Must get some!

1 Like

Some years we get sour cherries & some years not due ti weather. We got them thos year, $90 for a 20# box. But they made excellent jam

2 Likes

I didn’t make any jam this year with mine. Sure I’ll regret it

“Four-red fruit” jam: raspberries, red currants, strawberries, and sour cherries. Very tasty and pretty!

5 Likes

Peach passionfruit jam. 14 jars. Tangy

and delicious.

11 Likes

I made a special trip for a half-bushel of freestone peach seconds at one of my favorite local orchards on Saturday. Ten bucks! Great bargain! Tonight I got them out intending to can them sliced in syrup, and they were too unripe to process. Worse, it’s actually not clear to me they are freestone in the first place.

I had to make a small batch of jam with the handful of peaches I’d manage to prep, and now I guess I’ll leave some of the peaches out of the fridge to ripen. It’s good if peaches for canning aren’t SUPER soft, but shoot.

3 Likes

Freestone peaches just came in here. They are excellent! We made anout 60 jars today. All the fruit has been really terrific this year.

2 Likes

Used some of the giant pail o’ cherries to make sour cherry and peach jam. Peaches were supposedly only semi-freestone, but pretty easy to process.
I also made red and black currant, and picked cherries ( we’ll see how those turn out…)

5 Likes

I’m canning peaches in a light syrup. I didn’t use all the syrup tonight, but I’ll can more tomorrow… and I didn’t put the peaches into the pan with the syrup. Can I save the syrup and re-use? I would reboil it before using again… I think this is OK, no?

Totally ok. Store the syrup into the fridge until you’re ready to use.
FWIW, I usually poach the fruit in the syrup for a couple of minutes, to get some of the air out of the fruit cells. Then the fruit doesn’t float as much in the jar.

3 Likes

Making progress, four pint jars at a time, on my half bushel of local peaches.

6 Likes

Strawberry, red currant and sour cherry jam with champagne ( er… cava in my case). From this cookbook… https://www.camillawynne.com/books/preservation-society-home-preserves

3 Likes

Two more batches this week-end: strawberry, red currant and raspberry, and this spiced plum butter ( hands off so very easy!) https://foodinjars.com/blog/my-berlin-kitchen-giveaway-spiced-plum-butter/

3 Likes

I love sitting overnight" recipes! I wonder if that would work with Dapple Dandy pluots. Flavor Grenade pluots just don’t break down!

I have a question for you good folks; Why don’t we see mass market nectarine products like jam and sorbet? I much prefer most nectarines to most peaches.

2 Likes

I don’t like any stone fruit, but that’s a pretty picture!

1 Like

Good morning (here) fellow jammers! Can anyone direct me to a tested tomato jelly (not jam) recipe? I’m wanting no skin or seeds, and minimal pulp. Most recipes I’m finding are for jam, and I may end up going with the one in Food In Jars.

I wanted to try something more like tomato essence, but not as fiddly, although I did find one for “Spicy Tomato Jelly” that starts with two cups of "Tomato Essence " in “The Good Cooks Book of Tomatoes” that I my try.

There is also one for "Tomato Jelly in Balls Blue Book that has pectin, crystalized ginger, and hot pepper sauce which would be perfect except for the 4 cups of sugar to three pounds of tomato.

The Blue Book also has one for a red “jam” that starts with cooking till soft, then sieving tomatoes and using the pulp. I’m wondering if I am also supposed to use the juice. 6 pounds tomatoes to 3 2/2 cups sugar. I’d be making half the recipe.

Something like this, which I will probably try, unless someone has one they have already made. Only trouble is it starts with “juice” which I have not made before. I am also wondering how the amount of cooking changes the flavor.

Also, the one review suggested it was more like syrup than jelly.

This one might work;

I’m thinking of reducing sugar and adding low sugar pectin. Any thoughts about that?

I ended upmaking this one;

Just one pint bottle from about 2.5 pounds of a variety of ripe tomatoes.

It tastes fine. I remember enjoying a similar amount last time.

6 Likes