Any food related resolutions?

Get yourself one of these babies, good visual reminder and verification of how much you consumed. I generally finish by lunch then spend the rest of the work day running to the men’s room.

3 Likes

Great advise , Jr .

1 Like

my resolution is to eat less and lose some weight… (but I am not motivated enough)

On the flip side… if you don’t buy enough and end up going out for more shopping – also wasteful in gas and time.

I’ve already started it, and that’s to cook more at home. I’ve also begun incorporating fruit and vegetable waters in my daily routine. I want to entertain (cook) more. Finish the redo of my kitchen (not renovation - new major appliances and some sprucing). Waste less. Start using my manual pasta machine once my countertop is redone. Go to the ethnic markets and buy stuff I never heard of before and then Google how to prepare it. Have more fun with food and cut out the bad stuff as much as possible. Teach my granddaughters how to have fun in the kitchen.

8 Likes

Sounds like a wonderful resolution. Best wishes on fulfilling your plans.

1 Like

Like every year- to continue to build more garden beds and increase the amount of food we eat being from the garden year round. Every year gets better.

6 Likes

Love this! I wish the growing season was longer where I live!

That’s great, Weezie! Are you growing anything new this year?

I have 2 tree collards right now, which are new to me this season. So far I’ve started the usual tomato and pepper seeds but I’m still planning the rest. Anything new for you?

1 Like

I’m resolving to have dinner at my desk on only rare occasions. Waaaay too many sad desk dinners the last few months. I’m going to keep a good supply of desk snacks around and I’ll just make myself a late dinner when i get home - the delivery at work is usually ho-hum at best and i like to associate my dinner meal with relaxing at home and unwinding, not something to eat quickly while working. That feels very wrong.

I’m also going to keep track of and write down to evaluate what lunch options keep me full and give me energy vs fill me up at the moment and then i’m hungry and losing focus within a few hours. I figured out what works best for me at breakfast but lunch needs some help.

4 Likes

Not sure yet. We may have to resort to starting sweet pepper plants again. The health store that sold great heirloom varieties went out of business. Sticking with the $1.00 per plant for heirloom tomatoes at the local greenhouse. Will have to look more closely at the catalog for some possible broccoli options.

I hope to make good use of these soon:

Hungarian dumpling grate (haven’t made a photo of it but found one on web… what it looks like). Comes with a little spatula. You pour the batter/dough on the grate and move the spatula back and forth.

And my wooden mooncake moulds I got in China years ago, though not for mooncakes. I don’t like mooncakes, or any cake (almost)! Looks something like this.

Only two, both continuing from last year. First is to pare my recipe file down to a manageable level. I had over 4800. It’s currently standing at 2609. We seldom eat dessert, why do I have 243 recipes for cakes, pies, cookies and other sweets? What are the odds that I’ll ever make those homemade Fritos that sounded so good that night I was drunk recipe surfing? I’ve really got to stop doing that. Do I really need 17 recipes for green beans? The dude doesn’t even like them all that much. We eat a lot of chicken, but 359 recipes? Really? I’m fairly sure most of those green bean and chicken recipes are minor variations on a theme and should get the boot.

At the same time, I’m working on perfecting recipes that I want to improve. Last year I nailed spaghetti carbonara, tomato sauce, fish tacos, several soups, meatballs (turns out Rao’s are perfect), wings and cheeseburgers (Kenji’s Ultra-Smashed are the bomb). I’m still working on some that are close, but not there yet. Meatloaf is on the menu for tonight with one small change that I think will do the trick. This year I’m starting with cold weather food; lasagna, chicken/veggie gravy for pot pie and noodle casseroles, black bean, chicken tortilla and potato soups. I’ll add more as it gets warmer. It feels so good when I finally get it just right, like Boom! that’s the one.

Even reading all the numbers looks fascinating! Good luck with the recipes!

I have this too! I don’t like the baked version of moon cake, too sweet, but I’m planning to make the snow skin moon cake 1 day.
Btw, if you don’t like sweets, do you know that there is a version of Suzhou style pork moon cake? I ate once, it was quite good!

I have decided to cut back on red meat . To around four oz a week . This is going to be tough . I do love my steaks .

You get the picture :frowning:
Actually making an effort to add more
healthy foods daily

3 Likes

I was like you but one tiny kidney stone turned me around

1 Like

No messing around with not drinking water, I have a relative that has to blast the stones every year.

I’m hoping there is not a repeat performance