Any food related resolutions?

For Christmas, hubby asked what I would like for gift, I just said causally without much thinking, why not a machine to make fresh pasta. I thought he would just forget the whole affair …

The result: Marcato pasta maker with the 2 different sizes ravioli options, and other accessories for different sizes pastas…he is still continuing his research… I didn’t foresee this enthusiasm from hubby. He even said if he knew I like making pasta, he would buy that years ago.

Well, l guess my resolution is to start making a lot of Italians raviolis and pastas, it has also been on my list to start make Xiao Long Bao and other Chinese dumplings. Haha will see me report back if i have any success!

How about you? Any food related resolutions this year?

4 Likes

Only to keep on enjoying my food.

5 Likes

True, and it shouldn’t be taken for granted… especially later this year, some dental work is expected.

More moderate consumption of ice cream and chocolate. They are very enjoyable. But they are also rather heavy and tough on the waistline!

2 Likes

We also have a pasta machine that came as a gift years ago. It has been gathering dust. Perhaps this year is the year to make some fresh pasta…

1 Like

My resolution is to eat greens at least once a day. Mint chocolate chip ice cream doesn’t count.

Good luck! And for the XLB, don’t bother making a traditional pork jelly until you get the hang of it— you’ll cry when your first few XLB burst and hours of work drain through the steamers! Gelatin leaves or powder on a canned broth, hardened then combed through with a fork to mince, will be fine.

3 Likes

Good advice, I will concentrate on the perfect skin first. Thx.

A bit less beer and cheese. Groan! My 2 downfalls!

I exercise every day and love it (alone time, introspection and chilling) but I also love my beer and cheese. Just before this holiday I had stitches to nurse and must abstain from alcohol for weeks. I did good, didn’t even miss it. When I could drink again I only did it every other day and drank only ONE beer (I do still indulge in a small glass of wine with dinner. This I won’t forgo yet but eventually…).

On holiday again at the moment and have been eating and drinking at Olympic level but when I get home it’s back to my strict exercise routine again.

1 Like

My food-related resolution is to give to those for whom food is not a given.

I read an article in today’s paper about folks gathering at an intersection under the el in Philadelphia on Christmas day: a mix of homeless, addicts, seniors on fixed incomes getting squeezed by rising rents, working poor, etc. There is a kitchen there that serves a hot meal 365 days a year, so on Christmas it’s a place where many charities convene. People get breakfast, a hot lunch, dinner, coats, bags of toiletries, etc. It made me sad that these folks are thought of, by many (and I include myself), one day a year. Yeah, I always send checks to Philabundance and Manna on Main every year.

Yesterday I was at my sister’s home warmed by a roaring fire and surrounded by family from near and far. There was an abundance of apps followed by a sit-down meal of salad, farm-fresh turkey and lamb, asparagus, potatoes, corn, biscuits, pumpkin pasta, stuffing and, I am sure, a few more dishes I can’t recall. Later we all had home-made cookies, candy, cakes and pies. And of course there was wine, beer and spirits. I was gifted a very generous gift card to a local historic restaurant. Never once did I think of those people under the el.

So today I went to Manna’s website. Turns out it’s kind of a PITA to volunteer in PA–you have to create a state account and clear checks for child abuse and criminal history. On second thought, it’s only a PITA because it delays my resolution. I created my account and filled out the paperwork. Once I’m cleared I will schedule my volunteer orientation session. And then I resolve to spend at least 2 hours a week helping those who waited in line for a holiday meal.

12 Likes

Yeah! I am neither a felon nor a child abuser–that was quick.

I can’t attend the Jan 3 orientation as it’s full :grin: I have plans for the 21st (sisters planned a girls’ day out) so the 24th it is!

To go to Singapore and eat solely at hawker centers.

3 Likes

With all my lifetyle and diet “tinkering” over the past year or two my new years resolution is to try and get on a fat shredding / muscle building diet. I’ve been back in the gym for a year now (last years resolution) and I’m happy/satisfied with my results after a year, I want to get more serious about the my results and I need to get focused on my diet. So my new years resolution is going to be to adapt a strict fat shredding, muscle building diet. Not sure exactly how or what I’m going to do, but that is the game plan.

4 Likes

Use more butter!!!

3 Likes

Cool, butter is so tasty! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

After mulling this topic for a day or two, I’d have to agree with you, hyperbowler. We’re prodigious salad eaters in Summer and Fall, then stop eating greens when domestic tomatoes disappear.

2 Likes

My goal is to waste less.

I tend to buy more than I need, things on sale etc. I just threw out a ton of stale dated products that were either rancid or stale. I realize lots safe to eat after the “best before” but the stuff I threw out was ridiculous.

4 Likes

Food waste like that is a huge pet peeve of mine, good luck with your resolution!

1 Like

When it’s cold, go for the simmered greens. Mustard greens, chard, kale. A little broth, and simmer. You can add a carrot, stick of celery, garlic cloves, or half an onion, whatever. Simple and so satisfying.

5 Likes

Thanks for your tip, Bookwich. Next time grocery shopping I’ll spend more time in the Produce section.

1 Like

Not really food related . But drink more water . I might have a cup a day .

1 Like