Any favorites in Copenhagen, Malmo or Oslo?

Hit Cafe Oscar on Bredgade yesterday for Smorebrod. Got shrimp w egg and fried cod, both rather good, but not great. Good service and a laidback feel. Nice.

Then I walked over to the Carlsberg Gate (very cool!), Frederickshave, and then had a beer on the green below Fredericksburg Slot.
Finally I went to Krogers Familiehave for a late lunch of Danish Meatballs and potato salad w dill pickles. Really homey and good, with excellent service. I enjoyed this place a lot!

Went back to my hotel, the Admiral, and watched everyone enjoy walking next to the water. Relaxing end to my day.

Then SAS cancelled my flight home (planned for tomorrow) this morning so I am checking out a day early so I can hop a train to Hamburg this afternoon. That way I can get a flight from Hamburg home tmrw. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Went back to Cafe Oscar for Brunch as it opened at 10am. “Light” three part meal of melon, sausage and smoked salmon.
The waitress brought me a glass FULL of ice when I asked for drinking water. Rats! I was ID’ed as being American! LOL!
She was very cool, I just found the glass full of ice gesture kind of sweet.

3 Likes

We read about the labor troubles at SAS (which surprised me) and B stated, “I’m glad we’re not flying SAS.”

PS This happened to us a few years ago when WOW Air went under when we were in Iceland. Icelandair was able to accommodate us. I was doing a jig about an unexpected extended vacation but unfortunately, B had to be home for work. Best of luck getting home - I can’t imagine the scrum of people trying to get home from tiny Denmark so flying out of Hamburg sounds like a reasonable tact.

Edited to add: This certainly has been a memorable trip. Gonna make for some great stories.

3 Likes

Along with hot dogs, meatballs are another form of protein that my picky Spring Onion likes. I had been considering this place anyway and now it is firmly on our list. Thanks!

2 Likes

@ZivBnd Hope you made it home in timely fashion.

2 Likes

I got home on the13th, right on time. When I got to Heathrow on my last leg of the homeward journey, I was laughing at my poor planning as I spoke to the United rep. She said something to the effect that United would take good care of getting me home. Then she upgraded me to Polaris Business Class with the lay flat seats, and got me a day pass to the Heathrow United Club. I had bangers and mash at the Club, drank copious amounts of cucumber water, napped in a comfy chair, then boarded my flight to Dulles and slept nearly the entire way home.
It was an odd trip, but I really enjoyed the parts where I was healthy!

6 Likes

I imagine this story will become the stuff of legends as you recount it to your non-HO friends.

Thanks for sharing so we could “commiserate” with you.

We have our itinerary but have barely begun to investigate food options. With a 7-year old in tow, food tends to take a back seat.

Lots of wiggle room between destinations but our lodging is solid. Does anyone miss else the days of backpacking and deciding on the fly where to rest your weary head?

CPH → Billund → Skagen → Aero → CPH

4 Likes

I thought you might be in Denmark by now, Digga, then I re-read your earlier post and saw it was mid-August. Good luck with everything, I hope your journey goes more smoothly than mine!
And that you post about your trip!! Another Denmark thread will be useful for when I get back there and get to go to the places I didn’t get to this time. LOL! Copenhagen is great but the smaller cities are where I wanted to stay so I could get out and walk in the countryside more easily.
My next trip starts in late September. I am flying to Ecuador, then Peru and Chile. Possibly on into the Antipodean areas. I have always wanted to take the Indian Pacific from one coast to the other.

2 Likes

@ZivBnd We leave on 14 Aug and we’ll be back on 29 Aug. As is my custom, I will post in installments by region/town as I find it easier than writing up 1 long post. And you may not be familiar with my and my family’s dining habits, particularly when traveling, but set your expectations low, my friend. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Your September trip sounds great! I’ve only touched Chile (Santiago/Patagonia) but I absolutely fell in love with it. I’d love to take our Spring Onion to Rapa Nui/Easter Island. Hubby has been to both Ecuador and Peru and enjoyed both.

1 Like

I just saw this thread but if you are looking for other towns to visit I would of course suggest visiting “hamlets castle” in Helsignor, which is about 45 minutes by train from Kobenhavn. You can see the castle (don’t miss the dungeons ) and the pedestrian street has a lot of food shops and stores where Swedes used to go to buy alcohol because it had lower taxes. From there you can take a 15 minute ferry to Helsinger which is in Sweden and is a cute town in its own right.

Further down the Danish coast (I think you can bike, it’s beautiful) is the so called Danish Riviera. I’d recommend seeing Hornbaek (you can also go there by train) which has shops, restaurants, supermarkets for picnic stuff. Then walk to the harbor and find the coastal path which goes along a beautiful beach (or walk on the beach) for a few kilometers to Drollingmolle. There is also a nice path around the pond in Hornbaek, there are signs which take you under the train track to find the pond which is very nice and quiet, people don’t seem to have discovered it. The harbor has good fish and chips and there is a really good ice cream store a few blocks up. Facing the harbor the family beach (crowded) is to the right but the stretch to Drollingmolle to the left is more beautiful in my opinion and goes along the backyard of some beautiful large homes. This trip is great if you want some time in the country away from Kobenhavn.

5 Likes

@Pmychang This region/town sounds phenomenal and I had read wonderful things, but alas, I don’t think we’ll have time on this trip but let’s see what we can do. For such a small country, there’s so much to see! As a native Rhode Islander, I know that good things do come in small packages. I have a feeling we will return to Denmark. Putting this in my back pocket. Thank you!

2 Likes

Well if you just had a sunny and wanted to get out of town I’d go to Hornbaek, very different vibe from the city, great beaches, beautiful walls and not too far. The train (change in h
Helsingor) is about an hour

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I will second a visit to Helsingor Castle! I went on a rainy day but the halls and the dungeon were great fun! And there is a touristy but tasty mini food court in an old factory building nearby, great for kids!
My photos of Helsingor came out sideways in my first post, hopefully they are right this time.

5 Likes

@ZivBnd @Pmychang Thanks to you both again. I’ll consult with the guys tonight about Helsingør. It did look tempting while we were researching.

And thanks for contributing to my work procrastination. :grinning:

2 Likes

Apropos Swedes and cheap alcohol, I once had lunch in a spot overlooking the ferry dock in Helsingor. Many Swedes appeared to be imbibing from the moment the ferry departed Helsingborg.

3 Likes

That’s because alcohol is cheaper in Denmark and so a lot of Swedes would take the 15 min ferry to the Danish side and get really drunk and then bring cases of beer back on the ferry. The ferry has Danish alcohol registration so they can start “loading up” as soon as they step foot on the ferry.

I had read before our trip to Denmark that there is no open container law in Denmark so we knew about it but it still “shocked” us (in an amusing/pleasant way, not in a “this is immoral” way) to see it in action.

The low alcohol prices also “shocked” us. We’re so used to the in-humane situation in Iceland. :smile:

Are you from Denmark ?