Any favorite daube of beef, lamb, or pork recipes?

I am thinking chuck with white wine, orange rind, and lemon. However, as it may someday become fall, I am looking for more ideas. I already did pork shoulder and mushroom and give it a B+.

One of the side benefits of HO is that people here are from all over the world. I’ve been in the US a VERY long time (born here) and have never seen or heard the word “daube” ever. Google is your friend.

1 Like

Vecchi, this recipe for beef stew with guiness and horseradish dumplings will change your life. If you haven’t onion marmalade, sub caramelized onions and balsamic. You can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

Serious question. But can you make a daube without a daubiere? Or a tajine without a tajine? Without the original vessel and technique isn’t it all just some sort of stew?

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this somewhere before, but on a Netflix show with David Chang & Chrissy Teigen, they go to someone’s house in Morocco to eat a traditional meal, and when they peek into kitchen, the lady of the house dumps the tagine ingredients into a pressure cooker and let’s it rip — DC is a bit visibly dumbfounded.

But yes, it can be both the dish itself and the cooking vessel.

1 Like

1 Like

As @Saregama notes, the name indicates both the vessel and the dish. I recently scored a 19th century daubiere and have been delving into various versions. I do not see any reason you could not make it in something else, but since I am a combination cook and cookware junkie, I use the old pan. The way the lid seals makes it easy to do true braises as opposed to stews in which the meat and vegetables are pretty much submerged. I am thinking the next one will be large chunks of beef with white wine, orange rind, and olives, a fairly typical combination for Provence, but I am planning down the road for fall cooking. Wolfert’s pork and wild mushrooms was quite good, but it would have benefited from more mushrooms and inclusion of dried mushrooms.

1 Like

@Vecchiouomo Mea culpa. Sloppy read of the thread title.

No problem at all. I love your posts.

I’m going to throw a wrench into the conversation. Love Grillades and Grits in the fall. Basically thin sliced and pounded, beef, pork or veal, simmered in a creole sauce and served over stone ground grits that have been finished with butter and/or cream, maybe some cheese melted in. Traditionally served at brunch. Reminds me of football game Saturday.

1 Like

No problem. Maybe the thread needs to be recaptioned as Hearty Meat Dishes for Fall! Sounds delicious!

I like ATK’s French pork stew with leeks, fennel and prunes. I womp up a big batch in my 40cm rondeau at least twice a year.

1 Like

Interesting question about both the pot and the stew. I suppose you are speaking of the Provencal style ceramic daubiere, the one with a bulbous bottom and a narrow neck. I also see pots that are really stew pots with a tight cover and relatively deep in ratio to the base’s square area which are called daubieres.
In Paula Wolfert’s Cooking of Southwestern France, she has an oxtail daube recipe, which sounds good if you like oxtail. We tend to think of daubes as beef, but I wonder about a Duck leg and thigh daube, which should come out similar to confit in texture (on my list for Fall). I feel sure that some extra defatting will be required. Depending on where you live, you might be able to source some wild boar, which is certainly used in France.
Like most long braises, I think the marinade and herbal supporting cast is important to avoid blandness. I like a daube that is a bit peppery. I have had daubes with prunes, which I found a bit sweet. I think carrots and turnips are great. I would say that using sweet carrots and sweet onions might also add too much sweetness, which will need correctng.
With winter on the way, I am thinking about this kind of food, and I wonder about adding a substantial dose of Dijon and maybe some Algerian Ras al Hanout. Maybe some horseradish on the side.
Usually Shiraz is recommended to accompany, but consider also Cahors or a bigger Minervois.

1 Like

Those are wonderful ideas. My pan is of the large well sealed box sort. I make and use a lot of harissa. Ras el hanout is great, too. Turnips are a favorite, but I was thinking a braise over pureed turnip. Maybe lamb shanks with something zippy in the braise and some thinly sliced kumquats or preserved lemons near the end. Thank you!

1 Like

At what point does it go from a daube to a tagine? Spice profile? Ingredients? I mean, a stew is a stew, except when it’s not :grinning:

It is sort of a blur, isn’t it? To my way of thinking a braise differs from a stew chiefly in the amount of liquid and from a tagine chiefly in the flavor profile. However, there is a lot of technique overlap in the techniques of various cuisines. Brown it and give it a long, low heat moist cook applies to many things! Chili!

Asked more because I thought your use of “daube” in the title was specific to what replies you were looking for.

To which end, the last (and best) one I ate was thrown together by my sibling during the peak of the pandemic in the instant pot — lamb shoulder chops (the bones made a huge difference to flavor imo), bay leaves, rosemary, garlic, yellow onions, a squirt of tomato paste, and lots of red wine. Very “classic” tasting, and fantastic with crusty bread. Even better as leftovers.

1 Like

It was specific, shorthand for a long, slow Provencal braise of any sort. I have plenty of stew ideas and make a fair number of tagines.

I tend to think of a braise as a dish of mostly solid food(s) with the pot liquor used/manipulated more like a sauce and the aromatics as a garnish. In my mind, a stew cuts right to the chase in combination. But I doubt there’s any such formal distinction.